IGNORED

Anybody playing Borderlands yet?

Video

Worst .... ending ... ever.

Yeah...you kill the final dude, and then....nothing? You just run around in the finished world fighting predetermined respawning creatures. You can play through the second play trhough, but it's exactly the same with more money, slightly better guns, and tougher enemies.

I've hit level 50, yeah, level cap there. That kinda sucks. But you can still improve your weapon levels, haven't hit a cap on those yet, so technically I can still improve, depending on what the weapons level cap is. Just to bad I can't get more special points, you can use the NewU station to return your points and relocate them, but eh, I thought it would be cool to have EVERYTHING unlocked.

I was looking through the achievements, and thinking WTF?? There's one for playing coop with a gearbox employee (or maybe just playi8ng with them) and one for killing an enemy by stomping on it's head (huh? enemy's don't take damage from you falling on them)

Anyhow, yeah, teh games cool, but the ending is like fallout, except living with nothing left to do may be worse than dying with a schitload left to do :lol:

[edit] I may still hit up the NewU station and relocate my points, I want to upgrade to that one slot that says "each shot has a 20% chance of being a critical (25% or higher) strike" Cause if that upgrades like everything else, when maxed, that would be a 100% chance of a critical strike, then you just use any huge clip SMG and blow your way trhough the game :P (bet it won't work on the final boss though :\ )

Edited by Video

Not sure what you are meaning when you say "You kill the final dude, and then.....nothing. You just run around the finished world killing predetermined respawning creatures".

Beat any Halo game and what's left to do? Beat Modern Warfare and what's left to do? Beat Uncharted and what's left to do? Beat Oblivion and what's left to do? And on and on.

Multi-player... yeah, that extends the game and Borderlands has it. DLC.... yeah, that extends the game and Borderlands has it (with more coming).

So I'm confused as to what you were expecting to happen after you found the vault and beat the game.

As for the ending of the game... I've seen a lot better and I've seen a lot worse. The ending (or lack thereof) didn't bother me as I've had a blast playing both solo and online with Borderlands.

Mendon

Not sure what you are meaning when you say "You kill the final dude, and then.....nothing. You just run around the finished world killing predetermined respawning creatures".

Beat any Halo game and what's left to do? Beat Modern Warfare and what's left to do? Beat Uncharted and what's left to do? Beat Oblivion and what's left to do? And on and on.

Multi-player... yeah, that extends the game and Borderlands has it. DLC.... yeah, that extends the game and Borderlands has it (with more coming).

So I'm confused as to what you were expecting to happen after you found the vault and beat the game.

As for the ending of the game... I've seen a lot better and I've seen a lot worse. The ending (or lack thereof) didn't bother me as I've had a blast playing both solo and online with Borderlands.

Mendon

I was fine with the whole play as much as you want afterwards ending.

I was incredibly annoyed that the vault with massive treasuer I searched the whole game for had nothing in it but a fat blob that I killed and then was told to maybe stop by in 200 years or so.

Give me my treasure dammit!

I was fine with the whole play as much as you want afterwards ending.

I was incredibly annoyed that the vault with massive treasuer I searched the whole game for had nothing in it but a fat blob that I killed and then was told to maybe stop by in 200 years or so.

Give me my treasure dammit!

Ahhhhh... okay, I understand. I was just reading your post as if you expected more gameplay after defeating the vault.

BUT... if you don't like the ending of Borderlands, **DO NOT** buy Zombie Island of Dr. Ned. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time with the DLC and enjoyed slaughtering zombies, wereskag's, Tankensteins, Loot Goons, etc. And the humor and constant references to other beloved franchises (loved the Scooby Doo joke) were a blast.

But oh my, that ending.

Either Gearbox made a big programming mistake or they intended one of the worst end battles of all time. Not going to spoil it completely, but when you fight the final boss of a game and he can't hit you, nor can he avoid any damage you deal and goes down to defeat in seconds..... lets just say its much less than a stellar ending.

Mendon

That's kinda my point. An ending would have been cool. But the way it is just kinda leaves you floating in limbo I guess. I guess I just wanted a true "ending" (start from an earlier save if you want to keep playing, r a new game) or to maybe have generic "missions" (bountyboard, "hey, you can pick up the parts to this gun", or "go kill this guy" etc)

Even fallout at least had an ending (though it did suck) so did Oblivion, though it did let you play after that..... Maybe a game like Pokemon rescue would be an example of a game with generic missions after completing the game.

As for DLC, yeah, not happening, unless it comes out in a hardcopy (or GOTY edition) I won't bother.

Heh, I did like the robot dude got hit by lightening and did the whole boss thing "CL4P TP Ninja Assassin" :lol: which was kind of missleading, as that kinda hinted that there was something else to do later. Eh...I'm nearing the end of the second playtrhough though, maybe I'll see if anything is different after that.

Anyhow, yeah, the game itself is still awesome though.

Just a note to say that I got my Soldier to Lvl 50, beat every quest in the game (including Dr. Ned), and that this is the FIRST Xbox360 game that I have conquered every achievement in.... 55 out of 55. Whew!

Had a blast playing the game but am totally burnt out... especially after completing the Braaaaaiiiiiins Quest... and have no desire to start another character and take on Skag's, Rakks, Spiderants, Nine Toes, Bone Head, Sledge, Krom, and anything/anyone else on that God forsaken dirt ball of a planet anytime in the near future. Someone else will have to save Pandora from here on.

Mendon

I'm really enjoying this game. Anyone look me up if you want to co-op. I only play for 30-60 min a night, but I have been playing regularly. Level 29, still a few hours from finishing the main quest.

What is great about this game is the well tuned game play. You don't play Borderland because you want a good coherent story. You play it for the gameplay. In that sense, it's an utter success. It's fun!

If you are looking for non-serious FPS fun (I don't do MW2), it's a blast. And online co-op is super fun.

One of the other players gave me an alien weapon. But where did HE find it?

There is a VERY secret red loot chest in Middle of Nowhere that has a extremely high percentage of dropping ultra rare items (guns, shields, mod's, etc). I farmed the chest several times and received an Alien Cannon, Blaster, SMG, and Sniper Rifle plus other assorted goodies.

I'll have to dig around to see if I can find a link as to how to get to the chest... not real difficult to find but it is in a spot that once you enter, you can't get out. This means that after looting the chest, you have to save and reload your game so that you re-spawn at the last checkpoint.

Mendon

That second gladiator arena is brutal, but if you think it's hard the first time, wait till you get on the second playtrhough. Yeah, you're going to die...probably a lot (unless your a 50 level character, and even then you're going to get creamed probably :P )

As for the Alien guns, there's a red box at the alien dig site with that tanis chick at it, sitting on some of those metal stones with the squiggly lines on them. You have to jump to get to it, but it has a high percentage of having an alien gun in it, also just a little further, in the same direction is another red chest that has a high chance of getting an alien gun....Second playthrough has an even higher chance of having an alien gun, though those will likely be higher level # and lower level characters may not can use them.

Oh, and anywhere you fight aliens, they have a moderate chance of dropping an alien gun (and as they respawn, just come back the next day and fight them somemore till you get something you want, or enough loot to sell, they tend to be worth some $$)

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing the heck out of this title in 3-7 hour stints with only my wife telling me to do things for the past few days. I was at a toss-up between the hunter and the soldier when I started. I like the hunter overall at this point. Although, I keep running out of sniper bullets for those crimson lance chumps. They do have good drops though, I scored like 4 "legendary" class weapons off of them -- mostly pistols and revolvers, but I have a nice spread of proficiency other than rocket launchers and alien tech. I'm gonna have to try to find these chests again, especially if I can find a decent alien sniper rifle. <pew! Pew! pew!> :D

Also, hate to say it, the Rack Hive fight was almost a joke. Sure I ran and circle strafed, but he went down fast when I pulled out an anarchy type SMG. The thing just lit up with little numbers all over his body.

Hex.

[ Hates the vehicle combat, the driving scheme is a bit of a pain... ]

Yeah, the Rakk hive sucked. I didn't try the circle straifing thing, I just hid behind the big rock as you come into the area, shoot him a bit, step back, pull out the shotgun and kill the raks and repeat. The driving parts are such a pain, I've found it FAR easier to just jump out ofthe car and shoot the other vehicles, even on second playthrough. (well....especially on second playthrough, as I got high enough weapons, I cansnipe, or use a pistol to take the cars out in one hit useually :P )

The driving parts are such a pain, I've found it FAR easier to just jump out ofthe car and shoot the other vehicles, even on second playthrough. (well....especially on second playthrough, as I got high enough weapons, I cansnipe, or use a pistol to take the cars out in one hit useually :P )

That's the way I beat Mad Mel..... I drove inside the arena until he appeared and took out as many Outriders/foot-soldiers as I could before I died (almost impossible not to die upon first entering this area). Then after I re-spawned, instead of driving back into the arena, I stayed on the ramp and took out Mad Mel with a Rocket Launcher. Took 3 hits and down he went.

I found this much easier than trying to take him out with rockets from a car.

Some of the enemies, like Krom or Baron or Sledge or Rakk Hive, I really didn't have much problem with and fall pretty easy. But Skag's and Spiders always present a big challenge to me, especially in packs with Badmutha's thrown in.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

I'm still playing this game. It's not a story driven game. It's really the gameplay is great and the story is secondary. If they could provide quality episodic content ongoing, I'd keep buying it. The hardest bosses are Mega-Rakk (the flying one- the Shadow of Colossus giant one isn't very hard at all) and the final boss. Which I did on my own, but it was painful and took maybe an hour to get right. It's all about finding the spot to hide and recharge.

The drive to get new weapons is ongoing. sometimes when I play with randoms they have crazy weapons- one guy had a shotgun that spewed rockets. It caused everything to get real laggy. I suspect it was a mod/cheat. I would prefer to find stuff on my own. I did the cheating thing in the 80s on the Apple 2 and PC and it doesn't make things more fun.

I would love to find out where the best drops are though. I'm not against information. Anybody here who wants to play BL, add me on Live, I'm playing an hour or so a night, after my nightly Rockband sesh. I'm on playthrough#2. The enemies certainly scale up in difficulty. Most of the boss battles require numerous respawns.

This game is just super fun.

Edited by ianoid

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased Mad Moxie, and while I am enjoying the hell out of the add-on, be warned that its not for everyone.

The DLC is not a new adventure and it does not add experience points to your character. It doesn't drop outstanding or really new weapons... at least thats what my friends and I have found in about 20 hours of playing it. It does add 5 new Achievements.

Its an arena with new modes of play. You start on a map, such as Hellburbia, and face 5 waves of differing enemies. Complete the 5 waves and its on to Round 2, which is 5 more waves of differing monsters. They add rules to each wave, such as only critical hits cause damage or elemental weapons do half damage. Complete Round 2 and its on to Round 3, Round 4, and Round 5. Complete all 25 challenges (5 rounds of 5 waves each) and you beat that map and get an Achievement. In co-op, if all of your team dies, its game over and you must start all over again on Round 1, Wave 1... even if you died on Round 5, Wave 4.

This DLC is more of a test of your character and how tough they really are. Strategy and teamwork is a must if you are to survive, and you must be able to revive one another quickly. Ammo is dropped between rounds and you only have a few seconds to gather as much as you can before it disappears and the next wave of enemies enter the arena.

There is a lot of cover to be found in each map but it won't last long as the AI of the enemies is pretty good. An example: 3 of my friends and I were in Hellburbia and we found two buildings that, with well executed jumps, the roofs could be landed on. Our strategy: two of us would take to the roofs, where you could fire without fear of any enemy being able to climb up to, while the other two mounted ground attacks. Baddmutha Psycho's, Bandits, and Lance Troopers entered and we were blasting them away and enjoying how smart we were.... when suddenly rocket launchers were fired and the splash damage caused both roof top players to be blown from their perch right into the hands of the Psycho's waiting below.

I'm having a blast with the DLC and feel it was well worth the $10 I paid for it. But it is only enjoyable if you play it as intended: co-op play with friends. You can play the DLC solo but be prepared to not live very long.

Mendon

Still playing this, that is when I don't have a friend to play MW2 online. I wouldn't even touch that game, if it weren't for the online play with friends (not randoms). I'm looking forward to my 3rd playthrough on Borderlands. Still wanting phat l00t. Not as much out there as I'd like. Tempted to pick up the guide for maps of chests.

• 1 month later...

Out of curiosity, has anyone picked up the third downloadable installment "The Secret Armory of General Knoxx" yet? The expansion was released in the evening on the 23rd. I think.

It looks interesting in terms of new enemies to take on and some new vehicles to play with.

Hex.

[ Decided to take a break from Borderlands a couple of days ago... we'll see how long that lasts... ]

Me and my older Brother have played the crap out of this game. It really is quite good, Borderlands is just like Diablo II or Titan Quest in it's dungeon crawler/hack n slash style game play. I can understand how some people find it boring, but don't think the game is flawed. That's just how Diablo II style games are like.

I just beat the game last night, and the ending was pretty weak. But... I...

just... can't .. stop... playing.... :D

If anyone wants to help me get the, beat one of the boss co-op achievement.

sent me a message on live if you see me on.... i only need that and the level

50 achievement...

I downloaded the mad moxxi.... i only beat 1or 2 of those.... me and 3 of my Buddy's

played the longer levels in moxxi... but they got disconnected from the game half

way thru..(with no way to rejoin the game in progress!) what a bummer!!!

over 2 hours of gameplay down the drain! It really needs to be patched!

-rick

• 2 weeks later...

Broke out General Knoxx last night and played effectively for about 10 hours.

Quick notes:

Story ties some character stories together.

Stays with the theme of overbearing corporate giants and the insanity that is Pandora

Some of the enemies are freaking tough! I have died a lot.

It's a pretty big D/load 1.6 gigs.

More as it happens.

Hex.

[ Makes un-magic happen. ]

A few quick thoughts on Gen. Knoxx after about 6 -8 hours of play:

Extremely funny DLC! Gen. Knoxx is a riot when he converses with you throughout the game. I almost hate to have him as an enemy.

Be prepared to die... ALOT! Started out with my Lvl 50 soldier and my friend with his Lvl 50 Hunter and the first enemies we faced were Lvl 52.

Just like the Dr. Ned DLC, there is only one "New U" station in the game and that's T-Bone Junction. For that reason, make sure you have enough time to finish a mission once you start it because if you quit partway thru the mission, you have to start from T-Bone Junction all over again the next time you play. Example: we were on the "Prison" quest and after an hour or so of fighting our way to the prison, we had to stop playing. When we returned to pick up the game, we had to start from T-Bone Junction and fight our way all the way back to prison once again.

Driving the roadways is difficult. The enemy Lancer car's are hard enough with their two shot kills, but those @#$%&* probes are a REAL pain when they join the fray.

Drifters are an enemy to respect. They can swarm you, do massive damage, and if you lose your car while fighting them, you are a dead hero. And wait until you meet Skyscraper!! OUCH

Some enemies are hilarious!! The Skag riding Midgets had us laughing our butts off until they offed us several times.

And the new & improved Skagg's are deadly!

The following might be considered spoilers so read at your own caution:

Shotgun's work very well against Assassins.

I've gotten as far as defeating Gen. Knoxx; it took several attempts as not only is he TOUGH but he calls in Devastators to help him. A definite strategy on him is needed to win the battle.

Make sure you have LOTS of empty loot slots available when you fight Knoxx.

My friends and I are now up to Lvl 58 and from what we have heard, the final boss.... Crewermax.... is Lvl 64 so we have a bit of leveling to do before we attempt him. Not sure how the battle will go as players can only get to Lvl 61,

There is a secret achievement in the game and we stumbled across it by accident. All I'll say is that its a "costly" achievement to acquire.

I'm really enjoying this DLC and its another fantastic effort by Gear Box!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon