IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

BPJ1138, I don't know who you are.. 34 posts since december of 07? no information in your profile whatsoever..

You sound like you think the A8 is capable of AMIGA-scale functionality..

I'll tell you one thing.. Where tight/fast code is concerned, and maximizing the resources/functionality of what really IS realistically available.. I'd put Flashjazzcat's code against yours without a second thought, any day..

I dont say this because I dont respect the things you have coded and posted here. I say this because of the things Ive seen that FJC managed to squeeze out of the machine, where actual full-scale finished applications are concerned.

You have to understand that based on what he's done in the past, and based on what he's done so far in this project, that's probably gonna be the oppinion of just about everyone else on here as well.

So if you want a collaborative effort to create something you feel would be superior, why don't you throw down, and go start your own project? If you're not willing to do that, then when the guy doing the develpoment tells you "no", listen to him.

• Like 4

Now, who do I have to throw money at to get some updates on this project!!!

"Donate" button on my website. I'm considering making it bigger. :D

Forget that... put it in your sig. :cool:

LOL... I was joking to a friend the other night that the donate button should be 800x600 and obscure all other elements of the website. :)

Seriously. I would make it clear you take "all forms of appreciation". You know, beer, pizza, dollars!

Might as well have some fun with it. The project progress is totally cool, and there is absolutely no doubt you are putting in some serious hours.

Yes - this and other projects are a lot of work. I'm glad people appreciate that. MrFish is also putting the hours in with the graphic design side.

How come I only see mono for the Graphics 15 mode? Can the colors be set to accomplish greyscale like the Gameboy?

EDIT: looking at an earlier post, FJC says the GUI is using ANTIC mode 15 (Graphics 8 ) to draw the screen - if it is Graphics 8 then 320x192x2bpp mono

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia....8-bit_computers - so many colors and modes. Even Rybags is at the bottom of the page :)

**migraine**

Nah, i was thinking more like a splash screen that gets dumped after the OS is loaded from floppy :)

Also, I was looking at "The Last Word" screenshots on FJC website, but the properties state the images are all 336x240... what gives? The border?

Wallpaper requires that additional 8KB buffer, so it will only be available on systems with sufficient memory. And if you want a plain patterned background - you can have one. We're taking pains to make the GUI as flexible as possible. :)

It could be compressed maybe ?

Nah, i was thinking more like a splash screen that gets dumped after the OS is loaded from floppy :)

Looks ideal for that purpose (although OS will load from cartridge).

Also, I was looking at "The Last Word" screenshots on FJC website, but the properties state the images are all 336x240... what gives? The border?

Yes, the border.

That is a great backdrop!

It is!

did the demo for this get released yet im excited and will donATE! also are green herbals accepted heheh ;)

http://www.youtube.com/mavidateeta

No, not yet. I have to finish the MyIDE driver first, a project which I can only assume is a punishment meted out for crimes committed in a previous life.

Wallpaper requires that additional 8KB buffer...

It could be compressed maybe ?

Probably not, given the way I'll want to be able to randomly access parts of the image when reinstating areas of the background.

This just gets better and better. I'm sorry I'm no help at all with code or ideas, but I'm having a lot of fun watching the progress made in this thread.

HA! Love the icons for the splash. Boy does THAT take me back. :)

Edited by JohnBuell

If I had the original model of the "Atari Glass" image, i could rotate it about its vertical axis, grab frames, and convert it into a rotating FUJI logo animation in the background during the splash - if it only took 4 frames that would be 32K...

On second thought that might frighten people. What a way to waste 32K - Cartoons! :D

Possibly the most profound breakthough yet with the GUI project has just been made... The MyIDE driver is finished. :D Just the docs to write up, then, after a week or so of therapy, it's GUI time. :)

By the way, I take it the GUI is going to be called Fuji X? I sort of almost missed that meeting. :D

Edited by flashjazzcat