IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

Turbo Grafx:

Tricky Kick - 15 minutes

Parasol Stars - 15 minutes

Galaga '90 - 20 minutes

What is the object of Parasol Stars? I figured out how to use the umbrella (parasol) but I couldn't really tell what I was doing most of the time.

Atari 2600:

Kaboom! - 26 minutes

We get into phases where we play either the Intellivision or one of the Atari systems for awhile. Looks like we may have made the jump back to Atari for now.

• Like 1

Ok, so I'm clearly wasting a Saturday playing games, trying to help out the time count...

more grinding on FF tonight

:thumbsup: +1 The Top Ten thanks you for your support. We're over 4,000 minutes with a day to go!

BTW: We've also exceeded 6,000 entries covering more than 1,500 different titles in the database! Looks like these older games still have plenty of life left in them!!

OK, here are my times for this week (February 15th through 21th)...

The classic games:

Turtles (Arcade) 242 minutes in 2 sessions

Burger Time (Arcade) 12 minutes

The non-classic games (non-eligible for the Top 10):

Hell's Kitchen (Facebook) 122 minutes

8 Planets (Online game) 16

Asteroids Deluxe (Online game) 8

Blosics 2 (Online game) 4

Family Restaurant (Online game) 3

Congestion Chaos (Online game) 2

Crystal Castles (Online game) 2

Yars Revenge (Online game) 1

Battlezone (Online game) 1

Centipede (Online game) 1

Bullet Bill (Online game) 1

Moon Patrol (Online game) 1

Qix (Online game) 1

Joust (Online game) 1

I've played "Turtles" for a longer time this time, and I managed to beat it. By beating it, I mean getting through a whole round of 8 floors. To win this game, you actually keep in mind that you should try to go where your enemies aren't. This sounds like a dumb trick, but it's really easier to avoid them on a global scale. And if they are homing in on you, it helps to lead them around in circles. These tricks actually apply for all maze games...

including Burger Time where leading the enemies around in circles helps greatly. I only played a single game and still managed to get through all 6 patterns on the first attempt.

Then I played some online games as you can see. Today I discovered there's a Facebook version of Hell's Kitchen which is similar to the downloadable PC version, but a bit simpler... it lacks the restaurant view and only shows the kitchen. Also the levels are shorter... they aren't a whole dinner service, but only one course each, consisting of several incoming tickets. At the end of the game, which already comes if you screw up once, the Gordon Ramsay likeness always says "Un- believable", the same sample used in the PC game (and in my TI-99 crap game)

The rest of the online games are of various quality... many of them I only played for only one minute because they are so bad... Centipede, Moon Patrol and Joust are pretty far from the arcade original. Qix seems pretty faithful, but I just wasn't in the mood to play that. Asteroids Deluxe, Yars Revenge, Crystal Castles and Battlezone, however, are the versions posted on Atari's own site, and they seem pretty much faithful to the arcade, but not 100% identical. At least I can tell in the case of Crystal Castles, where the music in the online version is perfectly in tune which it wasn't in the arcade as far as I remember.

Bullet Bill, by the way, is a funny take on Super Mario Brothers... here you play a bullet instead of Mario, and the bullet has the goal of killing as many Marios, walls and enemies as possible, while avoiding the green platforms.

• Like 1

Today I didn't really "play", I tested some cartridges on my 2600 just to be sure those are still working : Freeway, Chopper Command, Midnight Pinball, Laser Gates (sadly this one seems to be dead), Megamania, Demon Attack, Joust, etc.

Welcome to the board! Any estimate of how long you tested each game. Even if it's only a couple of minutes that's fine.

Atari 2600

Dragonfire: 20 minutes

Reactor: 20 minutes

BINGO!

Reactor has been sitting at 998 minutes for a long long time. Welcome to the 1,000 minute club!!!!

Woo hoo!

That game's definitely worthy of the 1000 point club. I'm glad I could help it across.

7800 -

Crossbow: 46 min.

You guys ever notice how sometimes, although you'd expect the opposite to be true, that the longer you play a game in one stretch, the worse you get?

I've noticed that before. The harder I try the worse I do at times also.

Todays times.

Atari 8-bit

Missile Command 12 mins

Game Boy

Boomer's Adventure in ASMIK World 18 mins

Atari 2600

Othello 15 mins

Nintendo 64

Defender 12 mins

Intellivision

Space Battle 8 mins

Master System

Out Run 10 mins

Intellivision:

Ladybug - 22 minutes

I intended to play this for the HSC game of the week but I played the wrong skill level. It didn't matter since I wasn't any good. I'll give it another try later this week. I don't recall playing this game for any system in the past (although it reminds me of Mouse Trap). Maybe I'll even re-evaluate my personal Intellivision Top 25 by the end of the contest.

Last two days of the week:

Intellivision:

Burgertime - 25 min.

Chess - 97 min.

Donkey Kong (DKInty version) - 3 min.

Popeye - 10 min.

Some notes:

Chess - Won with the White pieces on difficulty level 4 (of 6). Of the four complete games I played this week, three were the opening known as the Vienna Game, and all of them started out 1. e4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. f4 exf4?! 4. e5. (A fifth game started the same way, but I accidentally hit the "new game" button after ten minutes.)

The Intellivision held out well for a while, but once things started going downhill, it collapsed pretty quickly, and I delivered checkmate at move 40 or so. Still, it plays a very respectable game considering its vintage, and seems much stronger than the Atari edition (don't know about the Fairchild's Schach cart). I'd like to beat levels 5 and 6, but I read it can take several hours per move! Maybe emulation is the way to go for that one.

DKInty - This is NOT the infamous Coleco cart, but a homebrew WIP that, sadly, looks unlikely to be finished. Still, all the gameplay is basically there, as are all four boards, and it looks and sounds great. If this were completed, it would be a strong contender for the best home port of DK on a pre-crash system. As with all the INTV homebrews I've logged this week, this was played via emulation using jzintv.

Popeye - Watch out for the bottom-right corner of the first board, as it seems there's a nasty glitch hidden there! I walked off screen and couldn't find my way back, and Popeye croaked when one of Olive's hearts stayed at the bottom for too long. Also, what's with the dueling Sea Hags? I had bottles thrown at me simultaneously from both sides! Is that in the arcade game?

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1