IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

Yesterdays times.

Intellivision

Space Battle 20 mins

Atari 8-bit

Donkey Kong 12 mins

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Pac-Man 8 mins

Atari 2600

Enduro 30 mins

Master System

Hang On 1 hour 30 mins

• Like 1

Intellivision:

Tron Maze a Tron - 76 min

I found the RAM chips and cleared them twice. Not much to show for 76 minutes of playtime. I seem to remember that there was some way to tell by looking at the maze when you are getting close to the RAM, but I can't remember what it is. As it is I have to resort to teleporting until I find them by sheer chance.

• Like 1

Todays times.

Intellivision

Space Battle 10 mins (I actually beat the game. Too bad it ends after you destroy all 5 squadrons.)

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong 10

Pac-Man 15 mins

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Pac-Man 10 mins

Master System

Out Run 5 mins

• Like 1

First five days of the week, all Intellivision:

Ice Trek - 90 min.

Championship Tennis - 85 min.

AD&D: Cloudy Mountain - 20 min.

Sewer Sam - 8 min.

Pac-Man - 7 min.

Motocross - 6 min.

Stampede - 5 min.

Royal Dealer - 5 min.

AD&D: Treasure of Tarmin - 4 min.

NASL Soccer - 3 min.

World Cup Soccer - 3 min.

Astrosmash, Bowling, NHL Hockey, Pitfall, Thunder Castle, Tron Maze-A-Tron, World Championship Baseball - all 2 min.

Most of these were new acquisitions which I was briefly testing out. Some notes:

Sewer Sam - I need a manual. What on earth are you supposed to do when a snake "trees" you? You're stuck on the wall, it sits there at the bottom waiting, and as far as I can tell there's nothing to be done but climb down and let him chomp you. I have yet to meet up with Sally -- I hope she's not exclusive to the CV version.

Championship Tennis - Among the better tennis titles I've seen for any pre-NES system, though it's pretty buggy -- it makes me want to start a blog at Atariage, and chronogame the INTV library, just so I can write about some of the weird stuff I've already seen despite only owning this game for a few days. Phantom rackets that show up 20 feet away from the player; overhead smashes that bounce so high they cause an overflow error (I assume) and reappear embedded in the court surface, like that commercial a while back where Andy Roddick's serve gets stuck in the clay.

The low Intellivision framerate makes it hard to track the ball at times, and the character animation is disappointing; it looks like they drafted the characters from Froggo's Karate, minus their stomachs and one of their knees. Still, it "feels" like real tennis (unlike so many other tennis games, past and present) and handles fairly well, albeit with a steep learning curve. In the two singles matches I played on the highest difficulty setting, I got thrashed in both of them, losing every set 6-0. On the other hand, my girlfriend and I played a credible doubles match against the computer, on medium difficulty (#2, aka "beginner" I think). The score was 6-3, 7-5, 6-6 when the game crashed at 1-0 in the tiebreak, and though we lost the first two sets, we had set point in the third before I dropped serve at 6-5.

By the way, the documentation and overlays for this game get the bottom side buttons completely wrong -- the bottom left button is for lobs (high floaty shots), and the bottom right button is for soft hits and drop shots. You'll be leaning on the latter button about 75% of the time, as the takeback on the lob is twice as long as the other swings, making it almost unusably slow. And as is the case in most tennis games, hitting it "hard" when you're near the service line generally equals hitting it "out". But at least you can volley, hit overheads, and use drop shot/lob combinations.

Ice Trek - Definitely one of the most infuriating, maddening, throw-your-controller-at-the-wall games that the Intellivision has to offer, especially on Level 6 (the hardest difficulty setting), and especially in the ice bridge stage. If Imagic had just tweaked the controls a little bit, it would be much less frustrating. Why didn't they use one of the lower side buttons to release an ice floe? Instead they chose up, which is all too easy to hit by accident.

You can get the hang of aiming the torch eventually, and thankfully, it's pretty easy to take out an ice floe that's colliding with your bridge (just throw a fireball straight up). But the grappling hook is way too hard to aim -- it's one of those cases where an 8-direction controller might actually make for better control, because it'd be simpler and more predictable.

Add to that the time limit (totally unnecessary), and the constant battle to stay on your bridge without falling in the water (also unnecessary). Then pile on the fact that your bridge is constantly under attack from rogue floes, and you have to spend 90% of your time fending them off; miss one that's low on the screen, and you've just lost five minutes of work. It can easily take 10 minutes or more (and a hundred expletives) to make it through this stage.

Meanwhile, in the first stage there's pretty much no way to make it out of the caribou herd alive without using your axe, which is fine as long as you stay at the bottom of the screen where it's not too hard to dodge the goddess's arrows. Imagic was really into the whole "break the rules and get punished with a projectile" thing, as evidenced by this game and White Water. Maybe one of the programmers had a teacher who liked to throw erasers at misbehaving students?

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 2

Todays times.

Intellivision

Space Battle 10 mins (I actually beat the game. Too bad it ends after you destroy all 5 squadrons.)

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong 10

Pac-Man 15 mins

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Pac-Man 10 mins

Master System

Out Run 5 mins

What system is Donkey Kong? :P I put this down as Atari 8-bit based on your previous posts. Let me know if I need to change it.

• Like 1

Saturday morning fun fact...

We're closing in on 1,500 games played (1,452 to be exact) since inception. We're also approaching 6,000 entries (5,776 to be exact) in the database. The vast majority of our titles have been reported once for just a few minutes. I thought you might enjoy the following stats...

228 games have been logged for a total of 5 minutes or less

404 games have been logged for 10 minutes or less (this includes the 5 minutes or less)

524 games have been logged for 15 minutes or less

765 games have been logged for 30 minutes or less (over half of our total!)

871 games have been logged for 45 minutes or less

962 games have been logged for 60 minutes or less

1,089 games have been logged for 100 minutes or less

1,187 games have been logged for 150 minutes or less

1,259 games have been logged for 200 minutes or less (playing a game for 200 minutes will put it in the Top 200 all-time)

1,331 games have been logged for 300 minutes or less

1,360 games have been logged for 400 minutes or less (playing a game for 400 minutes will put it in the Top 100 all-time)

1,386 games have been logged for 500 minutes or less

1,415 games have been logged for 750 minutes or less

1,431 games have been logged for 1,000 minutes or less (only 21 games have made the 1,000 minute club)

1,447 games have been logged for 2,000 minutes or less

1,450 games have been logged for 5,000 minutes or less

1,452 games have been logged for 15,000 minutes or less (all of them)

• Like 5

Atari 5200

Galaxian: 5 minutes

Pole Position: 10 minutes

Berzerk: 5 minutes

Pengo: 5 minutes

Atari 2600

Air-Sea Battle: 15 minutes

Juno First: 10 minutes

Maze Craze: 5 minutes

Sky Diver: 10 minutes

Human Cannonball: 10 minutes

Hangman: 5 minutes

• Like 1

Did a lot of gaming today.

Intellivision

Space Battle 10 mins

Atari 8-bit

Blue Max 5 mins

Pac-Man 15 mins

Donkey Kong 12 mins

Master System

Space Harrier 5 mins

Atari 2600

Congo Bongo 2 mins

Centipede 5 mins

Berzerk 15 mins

Atlantis II 2 mins

Breakout 12 mins

Jr. Pac-Man 10 mins

Atari 7800

Jr. Pac-Man 10 mins

• Like 1

------

Warlords - 15 minutes

Mean Santa - 10 minutes

Colecovision

------------

Donkey Kong Jr. - 10 minutes

Gamecube

----------

Zelda: Twilight Princess - 2 hrs. 20 min.

Chalk up another system as that's the first Gamecube game to be listed!

• Like 1

NES:

Marble Madness - 95 min.

I really like the NES Marble Madness. I have never play the arcade version. I played the SMS version but using keyboard to control was not very ideal, and the Genesis version, I don't really remember it as it was well over 15 years ago since I play it on rental…

I haven't posted my statistics lately but will post now…

for February 12:

Turbo Grafx 16

Legendary Axe - 30 minutes

Moto Roader - 30 minutes

NES

Adventures of Dino Riki - 25 minutes

For February 13:

Turbo Grafx 16

Super Star Soldier - 45 minutes

Soldier Blade - 40 minutes

Sega Master System

Hang-On - 1 hour

------

Warlords - 15 minutes

Mean Santa - 10 minutes

Colecovision

------------

Donkey Kong Jr. - 10 minutes

Gamecube

----------

Zelda: Twilight Princess - 2 hrs. 20 min.

Chalk up another system as that's the first Gamecube game to be listed!

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

That's not classic - it came out in 2K1!

Edited by rmaerz