IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

Wowwee, an entire thread dedicated to what we have played in the past week.... I cant believe I haven't noticed this yet.....

Viewtiful Joe - 30 min

Postal 2 - 60 min

Jungle hunt - 20 min

Contra - 45 min (one awesome co - op session with my little brother)

And that is about it for the past week. Wow, I cant believe I played that little....

I need you to tell me which system you played each game on also.

Thanks!

GameCube

PC

VCS

NES

Respectively, of course.

Nice thread :thumbsup:

• Like 1

NES:

Castelian - 18 min.

Life Force - 45 min.

Little Red Hood (Xiao Hong Mao) - 5 min.

Marble Madness - 25 min.

Paaman: Enban wo Torikaese - 15 min.

Tag Team Wrestling - 2 min.

SNES:

Lord of the Rings, Vol. 1 - 40 min.

Deeply, deeply flawed, but still one of the bleakest and most atmospheric games I've ever played. Huge expanses of nothingness, with haunting music and a feeling of bone-chilling cold. Unlike most SNES titles, this is actually fairly playable on the Dreamcast via emulation, which is how I played it today.

And not a classic system, but:

Dreamcast:

Crazy Taxi - 20 min.

• Like 1

Todays times.

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Sonic Pocket Adventure 25 mins

Pac-Man 12 mins

Nintendo 64

Midway Arcade Greatest Hits 10 mins

Atari 2600

Kabobber 8 mins

Master System

Hang On 20 mins

• Like 1

It's time for the Week #6 (Season 3) Top Ten. As the debate roars on as to what it acceptable for the Top Ten, the thread's popularity continues to grow! 171 games for 7,157 minutes were logged this week. I've extended the Top Ten a little this week just in case we decide to exclude those systems on steroids.

1. Phantasy Star 4 (Sega Genesis) 650 minutes

2. Final Fantasy (NES) 450

3. Centipede (TI-99) 437

4. Hang-On (Sega Master System) 435

5. Clash at Demonhead (NES) 300

6. Millipede (Arcade) 210

7. Enduro (Atari 2600) 205

8. Tron Maze-a-Tron (Intellivision) 177

9. Space Firebird (Arcade) 165

10. Alien vs. Predator (Atari Jaguar) 150

11. Marble Madness (NES) 120

11. Space Battle (Intellivision) 120

13. Burgertime (Intellivision) 119

14. Galaga (Arcade) 115

15. Canyon Bomber (Arcade) 100

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess would have come in at #11 with 140 minutes but we came to agreement to exclude at least Xbox, Xbox360, PS2, PS3, Wii, and Gamecube from our definition of classic.

• Like 5

Some thoughts:

One possible cut-off for the Top Ten is whether the system is mainly based on optical disc media. The Turbo Duo, Sega CD, and Jag CD could maybe be grandfathered in, and some PC/Mac games potentially could as well. (Exceptions could also be made for laserdisc games like Dragon's Lair, of course!)

But I think the Saturn, 3DO, and PS1 are definitely "modern-style" machines in a way that the SNES and Genesis aren't, and their reliance on optical media is part of that. The N64 throws a bit of a monkey wrench into things, but it always does.

Is there any generally-accepted term for the range of systems that roughly begins with the NES, and ends with the Jaguar? Maybe the simplest way to put it is "pre-crash classic consoles", which would end with the Sega SG-1000 IMHO, and "post-crash classic consoles", which would begin with the NES and SMS, and end with the Jaguar. Obviously that's very crude, and doesn't account for non-console gaming, but no solution will be perfect.

Also, I assume that arcade games played via emulation on newer consoles are fair game -- so I'd think that folks who are playing arcade collections should probably list individual titles and have them count towards the original game.

Of course, all this is very, very serious stuff, so we have to get it exactly right! :P

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

It's time for the Week #6 (Season 3) Top Ten. As the debate roars on as to what it acceptable for the Top Ten, the thread's popularity continues to grow! 171 games for 7,157 minutes were logged this week. I've extended the Top Ten a little this week just in case we decide to exclude those systems on steroids.

1. Phantasy Star 4 (Sega Genesis) 650 minutes

2. Final Fantasy (NES) 450

3. Centipede (TI-99) 437

4. Hang-On (Sega Master System) 435

5. Clash at Demonhead (NES) 300

6. Millipede (Arcade) 210

7. Enduro (Atari 2600) 205

8. Tron Maze-a-Tron (Intellivision) 177

9. Space Firebird (Arcade) 165

10. Alien vs. Predator (Atari Jaguar) 150

11. Marble Madness (NES) 120

11. Space Battle (Intellivision) 120

13. Burgertime (Intellivision) 119

14. Galaga (Arcade) 115

15. Canyon Bomber (Arcade) 100

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess would have come in at #11 with 140 minutes but we came to agreement to exclude at least Xbox, Xbox360, PS2, PS3, Wii, and Gamecube from our definition of classic.

How many weeks in a row did Kaboom! make the top ten list before the streak was broken

this week?

How many weeks in a row did Kaboom! make the top ten list before the streak was broken

this week?

You know what's funny is that I was thinking the exact same thing but when I went back and looked, Kaboom! wasn't in last week's Top Ten either. I think the Atari 2600 was shut out. I'll have to check to see how many weeks in a row it made it before that. I'll do a Kaboom! recap sometime during the middle of this week if I have time.

• Like 1

Intellivision:

Burgertime - 36 minutes

Microvision:

Bowling - 15 minutes

Block Buster - 5 minutes

I had my high score in Burgertime today and later bowled a 276 on the Microvision. A pretty good day considering I've been stuck in the house due to the weather and a bad foot.

• Like 1

Todays times.

Intellivision

Space Battle 15 mins

Nintendo 64

Midway Arcade Greatest Hits 32 mins

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Pac-Man 10 mins

Master System

Alex Kidd in Miracle World 12 mins

Space Harrier 5 mins

Atari 2600

Pac-Man Plus 8 mins

Game Boy

Balloon Kid 28 mins

• Like 1

One possible cut-off for the Top Ten is whether the system is mainly based on optical disc media. The Turbo Duo, Sega CD, and Jag CD could maybe be grandfathered in, and some PC/Mac games potentially could as well. (Exceptions could also be made for laserdisc games like Dragon's Lair, of course!)

But I think the Saturn, 3DO, and PS1 are definitely "modern-style" machines in a way that the SNES and Genesis aren't, and their reliance on optical media is part of that. The N64 throws a bit of a monkey wrench into things, but it always does.

cvga has already stated that any system that came out before 2000 can be accepted. That means that PlayStation, Saturn, and 3DO are fair game. Besides, it's kind of ridiculous to consider those too modern just because they use CDs, especially since every new game system since 2005 has used DVDs.

• Like 1

cvga has already stated that any system that came out before 2000 can be accepted. That means that PlayStation, Saturn, and 3DO are fair game.

I'm well aware of the rules as they currently stand, but we've been discussing those rules, no? :?

Besides, it's kind of ridiculous to consider those too modern just because they use CDs, especially since every new game system since 2005 has used DVDs.

The idea that the switch to optical media sparked a massive change in game (and gaming) styles is hardly unique or original to me! It's not just FMV, cut scenes, and Redbook audio, but also the huge increase in cheap storage space, and other things besides.

There was a huge stylistic shift in the mid-1990s, and I think there's a solid argument for saying that the PlayStation and Saturn belong more to the modern era than to the classic era. It certainly feels that way to me when I play most PlayStation and Saturn games (as well as the N64 despite the fact that it's a cart-based system). But if you feel differently, that's fine.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

*shrug*

Saturn games for the most part seem more "classic" feeling then even the N64… many games on the Saturn were arcade style games, many which were even 2D, and was still reliant an digital control… I am happy to see more console accepted as I play a varity of things having 15 consoles hook up and ready to go… heck, even the game I'm play on the 360 are old school style shooters… but I am just state my feelings, what ever the rules, I will only post what I play in compliance… PlayStation was not allowed at first and I even posted my play of Starblade Alpha…

but here are my stats…

For February 15:

Turbo Grafx 16

Legendary Axe II - 1 hour

Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu -40 minutes

• Like 1

Of course, all this is very, very serious stuff, so we have to get it exactly right! :P

Certainly! I have a 584 page rule book coming out next week :D

I think everyone who has responded has made a valid argument. It's tough to decide where to draw the line for what gets counted. If we allow Atari Jaguar, why not other systems from the same time period? If we go with cartridge based systems, that leaves out CD systems that came out about the same time. If we do not allow CD-based systems why allow CD games from the Turbo Duo and Sega CD? I don't know that there's a formal definition of classic nor do I want to change anyone's mind on what it should be. We all have our favorite systems from the past that get more play than others.

I also don't want us to get bogged down with rules. This has been a great thread, actually multiple threads, and I'd rather include people rather than exclude them so I've allowed quite a bit of "system-creep" from what we originally started with. I've gotten comfortable with our exclusion list being Xbox, Xbox360, Playstation2, Playstation3, GameCube, and Wii. I don't consider any of these systems classic under the criteria that almost everyone has listed. Each of these systems either has games available at retail stores or has had games available at retail stores fairly recently. When we expand the criteria, in the far far distant future, I'm assuming we'll allow Xbox, Gamecube, and PS2 in at the same time since they were all direct competitors.

That said, I don't want the systems from the 80s to get lost in the shuffle. Because of that, I've started to add another table in my database to allow me to group systems together. I'm currently using the category defined in each system's wiki (2nd generation through 7th generation) to determine each system's peer group but we can have a more lively debate on that later in the year :D When it comes time for reporting overall rankings and stats for a longer period (i.e. the end of year), I'll provide an overall Top Ten (or 100 or whatever) and a Top List for each grouping. I listed the top games by system last year anyhow so it won't take much more effort.

I find it interesting to see what others are playing and really enjoy reading the short commentary that many of you provide with your listing. I suspected when I moved this thread to the classic gaming forum, we would need to open the list a little more. We've added posters and have been breaking records for minutes played nearly each week so I consider that to be a good thing. Thanks for continuing to make this a great thread!

• Like 5

Sounds like you came up with a great compromise, cvga. Keeping track of it by generation will allow all kinds of breakouts and comparisons. And keeping the last two console releases out of it just makes sense given that we're in the "classic gaming general" forum.

Now, where do the various computers fall.... :twisted:

• Like 1

One possible cut-off for the Top Ten is whether the system is mainly based on optical disc media. The Turbo Duo, Sega CD, and Jag CD could maybe be grandfathered in,

For simplicity I would say that any system released before 1994 be included. Additionally, I think we should list the systems in post #1 that are either excluded or included.

and some PC/Mac games potentially could as well.

:thumbsdown:

Also, I assume that arcade games played via emulation on newer consoles are fair game -- so I'd think that folks who are playing arcade collections should probably list individual titles and have them count towards the original game.

MAME emulation is logged as "Arcade." Although I have cabinets in my basement, they are just running MAME with arcade controls. So, they are just logged as "Arcade."

If "Midway's Greatest Hits" is played on the e.g. PS1 and the game is the actual ROM from the arcade, then I would say that it should be logged as "Arcade" and not PS1.

Updates to classic games like Frogger or Asteroids for the PS1 shouldn't be logged since they aren't true classics or the originals.

• Like 1