IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

2600:

Kaboom- 20 min

Night Driver- 5min

Spice Invaders- 10 min

INV- 10 min

Marble craze- 20 min

Pepsi invaders- 5 min

Space treat- 5 min

Skeleton- 5 min

Chunkout- 5 min

I assumed "Spice Invaders" was actually "Space Invaders". Let me know if I was wrong. I'm not always aware of all of the hacks with similar names.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week:

Centipede (TI-99) 292 minutes (in 2 sessions)

Centipede (Intellivision) 162 minutes (in 2 sessions)

Centipede (Colecovision) 65 minutes

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (Intellivision) 36 minutes

Pengo (Arcade) 33 minutes

Centipede (Arcade) 10 minutes

Gyruss (Arcade) 10 minutes

Tetris (Arcade) 9 minutes

Turtles (Arcade) 1 minute

This week I tried out several versions of Centipede, so here are some comparisons:

The TI-99 version is pretty good actually, although the centipede moves in steps of full characters (8 pixels). The centipede seems to be drawn as a combination of sprites and character graphics, the other moving objects are sprites. One thing notable about this version is that the flee and the scorpion never appear on the screen at the same time, thus the scorpion only appears after the flea has laid down enough mushrooms that it will stop appearing. A bit annoying about this version is the mushroom counting routine which goes through all the mushrooms instead of only the incomplete and poisoned ones, which takes a bit long. But it still only awards points to the incomplete and poisoned ones.

The arcade version, of course, is the original one, but is also actually the least colorful one since the whole screen is sharing only four colors which change which each stage, although most objects use more than one of the colors.

The Colecovision version is pretty good, and even moves the centipede smoothly. It also displays proper explosions for each object shot. But the centipede parts only turn to mushrooms after their explosion is done, which leads to some tricks not working which you can do in the arcade. Also, your base is bigger than the arcade and covers two rows instead of one, and the spider tends to keep very low which makes it hard to shoot it.

Finally, the Intellvision version seems to have some bugs, but I don't know which of those are emulation related (I tried it in MESS) and which ones are coded that way. Most obviously, shooting mushrooms only works properly for some seconds after you lose a life, then it stops working again. Then the collision detection seems to be off in that you often get hit by a centipede part that is actually two mushroom rows away from you. Thus it gets difficult to avoid the centipede once it has reached your level. The centipede itself seems to use some trickery here... I think it's made of at most 5 sprites, each of which covers 2 body segments.

Then I tried "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" in order to see how random the dungeons really are. The emulation in MESS seems to be off here too (the scrolling doesn't work properly). Other than that, I found that the dungeons are made of rooms which are 8x8 or 9x9 characters big, and there are only 8 different rooms, each of which has a variation where it is turned by 90 degrees. Each room actually forms a "T" piece of some sort, and those pieces always form the same pattern of ways, which actually is a grid of 4 room rows and 8 room colums which wraps around. Moreover, you can further subdivide this in a grid of 2 x 8 rooms which repeats with an offset of 2 rooms to the right. And there's always one turned and one non-turned version of the same room diagonally next to each other.

"Pengo" was another revisit, but didn't bring any new insights except for re-discovering the horribly sounding high score tune.

The same applies for "Tetris" (the Atari Games version) which I only played once, and I stopped "Turtles" after only losing a single life.

"Gyruss" surprisingly was the most fun of the bunch... I only played a single game, but instantly got over 120000 points and reached about Level 10, which somehow was a very satisfying experience.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 1

Slither (Colecovision): 15 minutes

Mr. Do! (Colecovision): 30 minutes

(I really have to find my correct difficulty level for these games. Level 1 is often (but not always) way too easy for me. I'll try level 2 next and see what happens.)

NES:

American Gladiators: 25 min

i think i went crazy playing that. seriously i dont know where i got that p.o.s., but i hate its fucking guts.

edit-

mach rider: 30 min

my gosh that game is an eyesore compared to rad racer.

Edited by Tr3vor

For Thursday - Sunday:

Intellivision:

Auto Racing - 10 min.

Defender - 8 min.

Frog Bog - 9 min.

Loco-Motion - 15 min.

Sewer Sam - 7 min.

Colecovision:

Defender - 3 min.

Sewer Sam - 5 min.

Atari 2600:

Dodge 'Em - 2 min.

Genesis:

Road Rash 2 - 13 min.

Sword of Vermilion - 60 min.

C64:

Grand Prix (BASIC game) - 5 min.

U-Boat (BASIC game) - 5 min.

Winter Games - 35 min.

A few notes about the above:

Sewer Sam definitely has a different "feel" on the CV vs. the Intellivision, and I suspect there are multiple gameplay differences as well. Does anyone have a manual scan or transcription for the Intelly version? I only have the loose cart, and want to compare notes vs. the CV version (which I played via emulation).

Auto Racing went surprisingly well with the track by Mogwai to which we were listening at the time. It made it seem as though the little fellow in the car were a melancholy teenager driving aimlessly through the streets of his suburban development.

I've been playing Road Rash 2 on my new Nomad, and it almost seems as if it looks better on the Nomad's LCD than on a CRT -- or at least, the LCD seems to flatter it somehow. And I seem to be playing better on the Nomad as well, managing to take out a fellow biker and a cop!

Grand Prix and U-Boat are BASIC games that were on the "Medieval Adventure" floppy from Load-N-Go. Both are pretty thin, but I got some enjoyment out of U-Boat.

As for Winter Games, someday I'll get the hang of doing that damned double/triple axel -- why is it so much harder when you're skating forward? Even so, my 3.4 (or whatever it was) turned out to be a new world record, beating out my girlfriend by only a tenth of a point...

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

+1 for the fantastic commentary that accompanies your times each week. :thumbsup:

It's a big part of what makes the tracker fun to follow!

I enjoyed Kurt's commentary as well! Kurt, let me recommend jzintv for your Intellivision emulation needs. It's a little tricky to figure out at first, but once you've got it sorted, it seems very accurate indeed.

I had finally found a controller for this Turbo Grafx console I've had laying around… needed a controller as the Duo uses a different plug… so here are my weekend stats.

for January 30:

Super Nintendo

Pilotwings - 45 minutes

F-Zero - 40 minutes

Turbo Grafx 16

Keith Courage in Alpha Zones - 15 minutes

Vigilante - 30 minutes

Magical Chase - 50 minutes

Parasol Stars - 1 hour

For January 31:

Turbo Grafx 16

Parasol Stars - 45 minutes

The Legendary Axe - 30 minutes

World Court Tennis - 15 minutes

Galaga '90 - 20 minutes

Victory Run - 15 minutes

Alien Crush - 20 minutes

Soldier Blade (2 minute caravans) - 10 minutes

one of the things I love about TG16 is the musics… my Duo (of 15 years) had sound capacitor failure over the fall… so I had not enjoyed any Turbo since September :( I found a TG16 console while getting out the Christmas tree but it was just the console… no hook ups or controller - I just use my SMS hook ups but needed a controller and found one Saturday at Taylor Town trade center. I am happy to once again be playing Turbo - one of my most favorite consoles! I have a near complete US collection of hucards and have the complete US set of the 44 CD games. I'll still need to find a CD unit to enjoy those, but I have plenty of hucards to enjoy once again…

• Like 1

Ms. Pac-Man 4 mins

Joust 5 mins

Mario Bros. 3 mins

Arcade

Eagle 13 mins

Allow me to add some posthumous commentary on my log entries.

After playing those three 5200 titles, I have come to the conclusion that the 5200 is my least favorite console. Many mistakes were made and I'm not talking about the joysticks alone. Ms. Pac-Man & Pac-Man could have been better (although they were probably considered very well done at the time). Space Invaders is inferior to the 2600 port and Gorf is terrible. Galaxian could have been done a lot better and the audio effects are horrible.

Some of the positives are Pole Position, Pengo, Missile Command, Qix and Centipede. Had they toned down the explosions in Defender so I can see what I'm doing, I would have included that in the list.

Many folks prefer to remember it as Moon Cresta, but I played Eagle in the arcade so it is nostalgic for me in that respect. I will also be playing that game at the ClassicArcadeGaming.com Gaming tournament in March.

Also, having premonitions of flashbacks, I predict that arcade titles will dominate the top 10 the week ending 3.21.2KX! :)

Edited by rmaerz
  • Like 1