IGNORED

The official "ColecoVision 2" thread

opcode

As you can see from the specs, the SGM is built in. 32KB RAM + YM2203 (same as AY-3-8910 + 3 FM channels). Castlevania should sound awesome. :D

Awesome the Supergame module is built in!! Which Coleco Adam games have already been ported over to the supergame module? Also are the Coleco Adam supergames a fully functional port with the hall of fame screen that requires reading and writing names and high scores to a SD flash drive? Of course the ability to print the high score screen to a printer like one is able to do on the Adam is something that is not important and is unable to be ported over.

Is there any chance we could get a PS/2 or USB jack on the ColecoVision II so a software designer could make a keyboard work for games like Family Feud and Jeopardy?

This is great news! My large HDTV does not have composite ins, so component outs will finslly allow me to hook CV up to it! :)

Could I request long controller cables? like on the order of 10-15 feet?

Yes some newer HDTV’s dropped composite video, however component video is still available on new HDTV’s for now but that also will change. I am glad you will be able to take advantage of the component video outputs, that is what I plan on using also.

As for controller cable lengths, in the 80’s there were several companies making extension cables up to 25 feet long. Hopefully those are still available.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Here are some ideas for the ColecoVision II

Once and a while I see factory new ColecoVisions on EBAY for $500+ and used modified ColecoVisions on EBAY with a component video mod for around $500. So my point is I would be willing to spend $300+ on a ColecoVision II machine if the quality was better than the original ColecoVision machine.

1. The ColecoVision II should have the ability to receive firmware updates to fix bugs and improve on the operating system. An Ethernet jack with an internet connection would be ideal for firmware updates, however that is unrealistic. Instead, the firmware updates to the ColecoVision II could be installed by using a USB or SD flash drive.

1. The ColecoVision II should have 4 USB 3.0 ports and a SD card interface: With a software emulation to the ColecoVision II, USB game controllers could be supported. This includes USB keyboards, USB steering wheels, USB trackballs, USB joysticks, etc.

1. It has already been mentioned that the ColecoVision II will not support the Atari 2600 adapter or the Adam computer adapter. However if the ColecoVision II has the built in Supergame module then Adam supergames can be ported over to the ColecoVision II. For games like Jeopardy, Family Feud, and 2010:The Text Adventure game a USB keyboard that emulated an Adam keyboard would be needed. Since 99% of people use their Adams for exclusive Adam Coleco videogames, then if the ColecoVision II could play all the original Coleco Adam videogames that would be a popular feature. The ColecoVision II will need to be able to read and write so that the supergame hall of fame feature works.

I think you want a PC

• Like 2

HDMIs and USBs 3.0 aside, we are starting with a very basic configuration, and will eventually expand from that depending on price, board size, etc.

- Modern Z80 8MHz, speed can be selected by software. Wait states can be disabled by software. So fully compatible (3.58MHz, 1 wait state), still could run about 150% faster when 7.14MHz, no wait states is selected.

- 32KB of main RAM

- 128KB flash memory BIOS

- V9958 with 128KB SRAM. Could implement direct VRAM access but that isn't our goal for the first version. We save board space and chip count by using SRAM instead of the regular Texas DRAM.

- composite, S-video, component and RGB video outputs

- SN76489 and YM2203 for 6 PSG + 3 FM sound channels. Mono sound output

- 15 pin parallel port for advanced controllers a la Famicom

- Glue logic implemented in CPLDs for reduced chip count. Interrupt controller, decoders, mode controllers, etc.

- CV cartridge slot

- 2 CV joystick ports

- Uses regular 9V power supply

Once we get that running and stable, I can think of a couple of additions that would be very cool to have.

these specs BTW are great!

would a General Instrument AY-3-8910 also need to be present?

I kind of like the NeoGeo controller pin out more as it requires no electronics, just switches, but working with Famicom is pretty darn easy too

Edited by grips03

Nice spec.

IMHO it would be interresting to a DVD or CD drive support. (not built in with the console, but the possibility to connect easly a standard one , and use it from the CV).

A Videodisc module was initially planed (or said envisaged) i think for the colecovision in order to port game like Dragon's lair . So with a DVD or CD drive, we could have this kind of game or more interresting for me , very huge adventure/action games with tons of graphics and music.

A SD reader usable like a DVD could be even better.

Nice spec.

IMHO it would be interresting to a DVD or CD drive support. (not built in with the console, but the possibility to connect easly a standard one , and use it from the CV).

A Videodisc module was initially planed (or said envisaged) i think for the colecovision in order to port game like Dragon's lair . So with a DVD or CD drive, we could have this kind of game or more interresting for me , very huge adventure/action games with tons of graphics and music.

A SD reader usable like a DVD could be even better.

I would be interested in a 128GB BDXL Blu-ray drive module that plays BD-ROM’s, DVD-ROM’s, and CD-ROM’s. The Ultimate version of Dragons Lair was released on Blu-ray disc in HD, however of course it would not be compatible with the graphics card in the ColecoVision II. I am sure some are going to say 128GB worth of optical storage is over kill for the ColecoVision II since no one is going to make games that large in size. With 128GB of optical storage or even 50GB of storage in theory that would be more than enough to store every single videogame every made for the original ColecoVision videogame system and any future ColecoVision II games in the future would fit on one optical disc.

Yes a SD read and write interface on the ColecoVision II would be nice, however one can just purchase the Ultimate SD cartridge to add that feature in the future.

Edited by HDTV1080P

If one were to own an old discontinued Laserdisc player with a RS-232 interface and one of the rare original Dragon’s Lair Laserdiscs, it is possible to plug the Laserdisc player into the Adam computer's third party RS-232 interface and make a computer program to play the videogame with the exact same picture and sound quality of the original arcade game. The same thing could be done with the ColecoVision II if a RS-232 interface existed, however the problem is the original Dragon’s Lair Laserdiscs are too rare of item for the average person to own. There was also Space Ace and others.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The YM2203 includes a full AY-3-8910, plus three 4 operator FM channels.

Hi Eduardo. :)

Is it the plan that YM 2203 will replace YM 2151 as early suggested. ?

And will Oki MSM 6592 still be included in the audio part. ?

For me, can a new CV2 be as close as a MSX2+ engine, as long as it still can run ordinary ColecoVision games. :)

Edited by ten-four

Hi Eduardo. :)

Is it the plan that YM 2203 will replace YM 2151 as early suggested. ?

And will Oki MSM 6592 still be included in the audio part. ?

For me, can a new CV2 be as close as a MSX2+ engine, as long as it still can run ordinary ColecoVision games. :)

Ole,

We are trying to keep the project as down the Earth as possible. So for now we are using the YM2203 only. With that we can save on # of components and board space.

Once we have this version running and stable, we will be able to evaluate how much it is going to cost us to manufacture. As long as manufacturing stays under $150 we can a few extra improvements. The two top improvements in my list are ADPCM sound for voices and sampled sound FX, and SD card interface.

In theory the ColecoVision II with the Ultimate SD cartridge could emulate a Adam computer

I am hoping that the ColecoVision II project with the built in Super Game module will have the ability to connect a Keyboard that could somehow emulate Adamnet. The Z80 microprocessor works with PS/2 keyboards. With a keyboard connected to the ColecoVision II then all the Coleco Adam games could be ported over like Family Feud, Jeorpardy, 2010: The Text Adventure game, and many others.

If the ColecoVision II could have both a PS/2 keyboard port and a SD flash card slot then in theory a programmer could make a new Coleco Adam operating system that ran on the ColecoVision II. For example with the Ultimate SD cartridge plugged in a new operating system would be installed as soon as one presses the cartridge reset button. Then with the spare unused SD card slot in the ColecoVision II, Adam disk drive images could be used. Basically under the new operating system the built in ColecoVision II SD drive emulates a AdamNet disk drive.

The 3 key things would need to take place to turn the ColecoVision II into a Adam computer

1. There must be a PS/2 keyboard interface located on the ColecoVision II
  2. There needs to be two SD card readers. One built into the ColecoVision II and an attached Ultimate SD cartridge.
  3. The hardest part of this project would be to port over the Coleco EOS 6 operating system to the Ultimate SD cartridge. This would be a lot of work for a computer programmer to turn the ColecoVision II into a fully functional Adam computer.

How about a 1200 baud modem for all of the updates?? :P

What, no wi-fi??!! Unacceptable.... :P

I would like a flux capacitor on the colecovision II so I can go back in time and make everyone jealous with my colecovision homebrew games.

Also I will be buying Apple stock too.

Very dangerous proposition. Don't you know that coming face to face with your younger self could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe. :P

Very dangerous proposition. Don't you know that coming face to face with your younger self could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe. :P

Great Scott! :-o

There is no plans to emulate the ADAM. Please understand the reality of things, that would be too much effort just to emulate a half dozen games, where two of them have already been ported over. Sorry.

I guess what you are saying is, it is easier to port over Coleco Adam games to the ColecoVision II then to create a new operating system that would emulate all Coleco Adam games and third party Adam games that were made. If there was over 100 Adam games that people wanted to play then maybe the best thing to do is for someone to emulate the Adam operating system, however most likely there is only around a dozen Adam games people would want to play which makes emulating the Adam operating system to time consuming.

The only thing I would like to see offered on the ColecoVision II in terms of hardware is to add a low cost PS/2 interface and also a SD flash card interface. Then programmers in the future can decide what they want to do with the PS/2 interface and SD flash card interface for future projects. The ability to attach a $5 PS/2 keyboard to the ColecoVision II opens up many possibilities for future game developers and for Coleco Adam ports like Family Feud and Jeopardy.

The SD card interface was already suggested by someone, so if one examines my prior post all I am recommending to be added for hardware is a PS/2 interface. The Ultimate SD cartridge is something optional someone can purchase if they are a videogame developer.

I do have some programming knowledge and maybe if I had time I might be interesting in porting over some Adam games to use on the ColecoVision II. Porting over videogames is a lot easier than designing a completely new videogame.

Edited by HDTV1080P

You've been watching too many movies. :D

I guess what you are saying is, it is easier to port over Coleco Adam games to the ColecoVision II then to create a new operating system that would emulate all Coleco Adam games and third party Adam games that were made. If there was over 100 Adam games that people wanted to play then maybe the best thing to do is for someone to emulate the Adam operating system, however most likely there is only around a dozen Adam games people would want to play which makes emulating the Adam operating system to time consuming.

Seeing as I am probably the biggest advocate of the ADAM Computer on this forum, I would love to see some kind of support for the ADAM in any possible future hardware project, especially if it was something like an SD Drive that could run Disk and DDP image files. However, this potential project (the CV II) is just not the one especially considering the fine line that has to be drawn to keep the cost in the area where Opcode has stated a number of times already.

For what it's worth, Opcode and I even had a discussion on the ColADAM List about the CV II as well as my idea of a miniature ADAM expansion for the CV that would strip away all the unnecessary items (Data Drives and their controller circuity/chips, expansion slots, espansion bus, etc.) and add an ADAMnet SD Drive. Basically, squeeze down the Exp. Mod. #3 Memory Console to the size of the Coleco proposed SGM, but with an SD Drive. It's one thing to have fun and discuss these "what-if" scenarios, but it quite another to actually act upon them and make the huge investment of time and money as I know you know all too well from the work you did back in the day with Minh Ta.

As far as ADAM software that would be a worthy draw for the masses, everyone is right that there is a limited number of titles to draw from and this will always be any future ADAM project's achilles heel. There are roughly 20 Coleco produced titles that inspire interest:

- 2 of which have already been ported... Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game.

- 1 of which, Best of Broderbund, has both games available in CV cart format thanks to my find of the cart version of A.E. a couple years ago.

- 1 of which will be outshined by Opcode's upcoming Donkey Kong Arcade

- 1 of which wlll, Donkey Kong Junior Super Game, may have competition from Opcode down the line

- a couple others are available as CV carts already but without all the extras afforded them by the ADAM's additional abilities.

As much as it pains me to say it, there just isn't enough there to inspire a hardware project of this sort and it doesn't look like any remarkable find of unreleased ADAM software is on the horizon to provide the inspiration.

This in no way, means that there wasn't a lot of good Homebrew software/games made in the 80's and 90's for the ADAM, but again, there unfortunately just wasn't enough and any hope of some type of mini-ADAM or ADAMnet SD Drive will fall squarely on a hobbyist... see the ADAMnet SD Drive by Else.