IGNORED

Quantizator

ilmenit

I'm pretty sure, the images could be converted in some seconds.

The converter does steps that complex things more, and to handle them using more time.

You know this picture

post-2756-0-86051500-1338721978_thumb.png

Using standard import, you get either this:

post-2756-0-89754100-1338721977_thumb.png

or this:

post-2756-0-76051700-1338721976_thumb.png

In both cases, the converter adds colours, that don't get handled with the importing filter...

The picture never gets really finished.

The way to the perfect solution has to be changed a bit ....

The next step explains itself.

Having this picture, and the original picture, you could compare the ranges of the picture, whether a colour takes more to disturb the picture showing a line, or a pixel.

And to compare, whether colours exceed the limit of the possible changes, or changes were still available for adding some details there...

If the image is "disturbed" like with the occuring lines, the colours should be exchanged and reduce by one. And another colour gets used there. A single pixel with a wrong colour isn't as much disturbing than a huge scanline "error".

Why is it calculated to 320 pixels width? Why not 160? Is there some added accuracy?

If it's at 320 pixel, the A8 could not show it.

The images were set to 320 width, just for the correct aspect ratio.

Maybe I'm being daft, I still don't get it....

Yes, 320 pixels is too many pixels in width. So why not calculate it to 160 width x whatever is set for the height?

The thing is, if you calculate it to 320 pixels wide, aren't you doing twice as much work as you need?

Now if this breaks the aspect ratio, so be it, because as soon as you use the generator, it will break the aspect ratio anyway in converting it to 160 x H pixels.

Sorry if I am missing the point here....

Simple,

how does a 320 x 200 picture look on PC or other computers ?!?

-----------------

Picture here

-----------------

and how does a 160x200 picture look on the PC or other computers ?!?

---------

Picture

here

Picture

here

---------

On the A8 however, no matter if you use 320x200, 160x200 or 80x200 a picture will always look like this:

----------------

Picture here

----------------

Thats why I always use 320x200 (or 320x192) pixels reolution when converting a picture from PC or other computers to the A8.

-Andreas Koch.

Thats why I always use 320x200 (or 320x192) pixels reolution when converting a picture from PC or other computers to the A8.

-Andreas Koch.

OK, I see your point there when talking about input files. However, using a height of 192 as an example, why don't we just take 320x192 as a PC picture as the input, then convert it to 160x192 for the perfect destination picture and then calculate towards the 160x192 picture using a 160x192 picture?

i.e.

Input=320x192

Intermediate (output pic)=160x192

Perfect Atari Pic=160x192

Then the generator works off the Intermediate pic. Currently the generator converts from 320x192 to 160x192. Why do it afterwards?

-Andreas Koch.

OK, I see your point there when talking about input files. However, using a height of 192 as an example, why don't we just take 320x192 as a PC picture as the input, then convert it to 160x192 for the perfect destination picture and then calculate towards the 160x192 picture using a 160x192 picture?

i.e.

Input=320x192

Intermediate (output pic)=160x192

Perfect Atari Pic=160x192

Then the generator works off the Intermediate pic. Currently the generator converts from 320x192 to 160x192. Why do it afterwards?

It's only for the correct aspect ratio.... just a pixel re-use.

post-2756-0-28182100-1338751452_thumb.jpg

The converter does steps that complex things more, and to handle them using more time.

[...]

In both cases, the converter adds colours, that don't get handled with the importing filter...

Sorry emkay, but I do not understand. Could you describe (in points) what exactly do you recommend or what you did with those pictures, please?

The default /init is 'random', which gives the best results for complex pictures. With random initialization the optimization algorithm usually covers the pictures with sprites best.

For simple pictures you may try /init=smart or /init=less or /init=empty

@snicklin - RastaConverter converts every input picture to width=160 pixels (/filter parameter)

Edited by ilmenit

[...]

Sorry emkay, but I do not understand. Could you describe (in points) what exactly do you recommend or what you did with those pictures, please?

Actually, I have no idea how to explain it else. It's already a step by step explanation.

A short list:

Put the picture through the converter, to have the 160x240 pixel.

Check the available colours per line.

Check the available Atari colours.

Drop the colours down to a countable use, for the available colour changes and usable colours.... per line

Put the "original" picture again through the converter with the aimed "fitting" colours and use dithering for that.

Then no dither again!

As you have an 160x240 pixel picture with a limited count of colours, now an extra filter checks the used colours in the picture and exchanges them with the next possible Atari colour (from the Laoo palette for example)...

Then run it through the converter. If all calculations were done before, the import to "Atari-Code" is rather fast.