IGNORED

Quantizator

ilmenit

when rasta runs about many hours, then is black, or i can see only middle screen :(

This happens after a screen refresh of the desktop. New versions of RastaConverter are able to continue.

So sometimes it's easy just to close it and run "RastaConverter /continue" , to have the screens side by side again.

Yes, I've seen this as well. It's most likely related to display switches and is known as the evil "lost device" problem in DirectX. This can be caused by changing display resolution, a screensaver activating, the monitor being put to sleep by Windows, or the secure login screen (Ctrl+Alt+Del). The program is still running but parts of the display are screwed up. This can be recovered from in code but I suspect some additional hookups to Allegro may be necessary.

If the problem is DirectDraw lost surfaces, the images have to actually be re-uploaded to the graphics device, not just redrawn. Not too bad if the images are also still lying around in system memory, but otherwise code would have to be added to do so.

In the imgames from Titus and Prince of Persia, you see the problems of RastaConverter. The line destroy image details, even if the A8 has more to offer there.

You can reduce the lines by "adjusting" the source image. As you might have recognized, the "portrait" picture has no "image disturbing" lines in it.

Anything less than 256 colors and I'm lost...With 256 simultaneous, you're able go back in with a drawing tablet and retouch to your hearts content, Most people, whether they consider themselves to have an artists eye or not, can produce something that pleases themselves. With just a few on hand and not every color freely available, either, every decision impedes the next and everything has to be surgeon precise..I bow before these artists. I guess, really, true artists can make art with anything. :)

Oh, crud...found some optimizations on the previous pic that should alleviate some of the banding, cat anus armpit (yes, it was too dark, but couldn't tell in the source prepared pic - trial and error, trial and ERROR ERROR ERROR.) improve detail...maybe I'll revisit it in a few weeks, but onward. :)

Edited by AtariNerd

nice results emkay :) i know its about CPU MHZ.. i admire people who know paint in g2f that beautiful pictures..

It's not about MHZ.... more GHz ;)

You can let draw the tool , starting a normal project.

Then you see where the problems happen to the resulting screen. stop the Rasterizer.

Use any picture editor, adjust the regions at the source picture of the project a bit in that editor... save it, and continue with the Rasterizer.

• Like 1

You can give a direction to the rasterizer...

Well, you cannot add changes per scanline, but you can vary the changes to have more of the important details shown more correct....

post-2756-0-98813100-1336930995_thumb.png

schmied.xex

The chest of the smith (for example) had darker scanlines in it, destroying the 1st look there. Setting some brighter spot there, removed the line.

Sometimes it helps to find "a pixel" that causes a full "faulty line" ... set it to another colour to get rid of huge bars....

The shadow of the barrel besides the door, built stripes and should be grey. I had to make the region black so the rasterizer made it grey .... XD ....

It's an interesting game :D

• Like 1

Some of it might be inherit in the process and the Ataris limitations, but some of it may be that he probably just rendered long enough for the frames to be recognizable...there are a few dozen ;) It was just a matter of time, piecing all of the tools together, but he got his take on it out first. Slackers. :P ;) This is pretty clever. Not only theoretically does the A8 have the highest color density for an 8-bit, when viewed on a combined multi-line and adressable pixel basis per single, non-interlaced frame (three consequitive lines at 8+ colors per line freely able to be placed ) , but when played back sequentially, the percieved density and quality should increase... theoretically. Curious to see what people skilled in such craft are able to do with this.

Edited by AtariNerd
  • Like 1

Yea, the borders were very messed up there. Release early, release often! :-D

The frames have to fit into 16K banks, so that's why the bottoms have to be cut off.

Here's a new version with cleaned up borders. I also reran RastaConverter with 3M evaluations per frame instead of only 100K.

As AtariNerd says, I saw what Crest did with NUFLI and NuvieMaker (examples) and thought it would be the next logical step for RastaConverter. Now we just need a really huge memory expansion. Is there anything over 1088K?

homer2.xex

RastaMovie-0.2.zip

On Github:

https://github.com/lybrown/RastaMovie

• Like 1

The kernal would likely mean no data reads at all in the active display.

So for Pal we'd slow down to about 1/3rd speed - still around 18-30 K per second.

Although a custom IDE routine could speed up the rate somewhat, so maybe 40% normal speed.