IGNORED

Short and Sweet (SSGC) contest

Opry99er

One thought, you may want to add the caveat "limit one submission per person". Obviously, it's cool to be able to do 2-3 programs, but for a contest with tangible prizes, I think a 1:1 ratio is best.

What you can do is say "Make as many as you want, but when I make the submission thread, you can only post ONE as your submission."

Adamantyr

There's the stipulation that each ENTRANT can only win one prize, regardless of number of games submitted. Which is admittedly different from having to settle on one game as your entry...

Edited by The Codex

Codex is correct. You can enter 4 million games if you want--- however only one entry per contestant is eligible for a prize. If Codex makes 4000 games, that's awesome!!! If he has two of the best 3 games, he can only win one prize. That's the fairest way and the most creatively stimulating way I can think of. :)

My game is done. It's exactly 30 lines + data. Not releasing yet - I have a bug.

-H

Question for the judges (or, well, Owen).\

I am nearly finished with a game and I have a couple lines left over. I'd like for the game to save and load high scores to disk. Is that kosher, since it's not loading numeric or string data to get around the 30-line requirement?

Or can he give his spares to me. My title screen is... Boring.

My game is done. It's exactly 30 lines + data. Not releasing yet - I have a bug.

-H

Question for the judges (or, well, Owen).\

I am nearly finished with a game and I have a couple lines left over. I'd like for the game to save and load high scores to disk. Is that kosher, since it's not loading numeric or string data to get around the 30-line requirement?

Well--- here's how we do this---

if you keep it within the 30 line + DATA format, I think it's cool--- as long it doesn't load another program or access info that could be described as "support"... I think it's fine. As long as it is a standalone program--- it has to be the only program on the diskette when it is submitted.... If it can write a DV80 file on it's own to keep scores, I think that is okay.... But it must be able to run with JUST the one single XB program on the diskette--- that's what I meant by "disk support".... No LOADING of other info from diskette. If anyone has a problem with this, please let me know--- I did not discuss this thing in full when I was talking about it. If anyone has an issue with what I've said, let me know ..... We'll figure it out... Thanks

Well--- here's how we do this---

if you keep it within the 30 line + DATA format, I think it's cool--- as long it doesn't load another program or access info that could be described as "support"... I think it's fine. As long as it is a standalone program--- it has to be the only program on the diskette when it is submitted.... If it can write a DV80 file on it's own to keep scores, I think that is okay.... But it must be able to run with JUST the one single XB program on the diskette--- that's what I meant by "disk support".... No LOADING of other info from diskette. If anyone has a problem with this, please let me know--- I did not discuss this thing in full when I was talking about it. If anyone has an issue with what I've said, let me know ..... We'll figure it out... Thanks

You know what, I withdraw the idea. It'd probably need an existing DV/80 file with zeroed out scores to read and compare. I don't know how to make it detect that the file doesn't exist on its first run, except in a clumsy way via ON ERROR, so let's skip the high score thing for the contest purposes. If I release the game after the contest, I'll add it then - no biggie. I shoulda thought it through a little more.

Hope to have the game, or at least screenshots, up tonight.

Inaccurate Invaders is up. Saved a line of code and added a lot of stuff - more colors, etc... Wonder if there should be a reward for the most characters used in a game - per line average. Some lines are hard to get out of being short IF / THEN confusion, but... I think I packed 'em pretty tight :)

Overdrive definitely does some funny stuff. The Max mode winds up freezing my PC. It's obviously imperfect, but... for some games it works magic.

-H

I think my old 3,4 Mhz (dual core) runs CPU Overdrive at perhaps 20x. Today I tried a new 2,9 Mhz (quad double threaded) and it felt like 100x.

Tursi, it would be nice if Classic99 would allow maybe 2x, 4x and 8x normal speed etc. besides maximum.

Owen, hehe, the number of entries is about to get out of control.

:cool:

I don't even guarantee 1x right now, not going to promise 2x,4x, etc. ;)

CPU overdrive is your best bet... System Max still hits the real PC hardware too hard, causing problems that range from slow response time to outright crashes (depending on the quality of your drivers). It's another fix that's waiting for the fixes to the system timing that I have planned.

Of course, the trick is that CPU overdrive only speeds up the CPU, while system maximum keeps everything at the same ratios but speeds up the whole system.

If you want to speed up the CPU by a fixed amount, the Options menu allows you to adjust from 0%-200% for the normal speed.

Owen

Since this is your contest I'll ask you to do it. Would you start a thread for only finished submissions. No comments or replies allowed. The entries are getting immense and scattered out all over the place and it really makes it hard for guys like me with limited capacities and short attention spans to get at all the finished products. Just saying....

Crashes on load for me. Overwrote my old installation directly. I also tried a clean extraction. Crashes. :(

Since a lot of people here are using it, I'll note that Classic99 340 is up now at http://harmlesslion....ware/classic99. You'll find the full changelist there but I snuck in a few things people here asked for, like the window sizing options, better debugger support, and plenty more. :)

The crash turned out to be an uninitialized critical section.. Seven reports it in the debug log then just continues merrily along, while XP (and probably older versions) crashes. Thanks to everyone for the bug reports, and Mark for testing for me. Now I know how to check for these before I release (since even under the debugger they get ignored!!)

The fixed version (340a) is up and ready to go: http://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

Nice work! Love the new screen sizing options particularly.

The only downside I've noticed so far is that sprite movement seems a touch jerky in the new version. Even in video modes that were very smooth in the previous release. Might be an artifact of me still running XP though.

Anyway, thanks for the update!

I hope that once this is all done that all programs are put on a PC99 or some other format disk that I can download and use... :-)

Even putting the TIFILES programs in a zip file so that I can copy them to a CF7+ volume or PC99 disk...

Even putting the TIFILES programs in a zip file so that I can copy them to a CF7+ volume or PC99 disk...

Eh, didn't most of us do exactly that ?

Saving the XB programs in Classic99 should produce TIFILES !? And to attach on this board most zipped it.

:)

Doesn't win994a use ti dsk files just with a different extension? I can add the files to 1 disk, maybe even make a catalog menu program to go with it.

I hope that once this is all done that all programs are put on a PC99 or some other format disk that I can download and use... :-)

Yeah, but I want to see a compilation... wouldn't it be cool if you had a README.TXT with all the authors, their info, etc, along with the programs all in one nice little package? (i.e. SSGC 2010.zip). :-)