IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Game 5: Blue Max

Game ends 10am GMT! on Saturday 20th March 2010.

Blue Max

Atarimania rating 7.5

I've not played this before (!) as had Blue Max 2001 (which is a great game), so if anyone has any suggestions please post, otherwise take the default options: Novice and No Gravity. Press Option to toggle joystick controls if required. Space is pause.

Here is a summary of some top-secret intelligence the spies have gathered:

When a freindly airfield approaches a tone will be heard and a green "R" will appear on the command bar. Press the fire button to lower the landing gear, and the "R" will change to a "L". when you are over the runway, decend and land. Repairs will begin and then you will take off.

Uaaaa... Blue Max, one of my top favourite games... I think there should not be any problem with landing. You can land safely in any speed and with any damage. Just remember: when airport comes near, green letter "R" appears and you MUST press fire button to confirm you're going to land. "R" changes to blue "L" and your speed goes down then...

I remember there being a little easter egg built in that allowed you to crash the game by crashing/landing or something like that

You have to drop a bomb over your base!

I have made it to "Blue Max" but only 4th class... every time I get all the targets early and hit the bunkers in the city on the first pass I somehow manage to crash into another plane. But I still go back... I can get to the city, but can't get past it.

Once you get to the city, you have to bomb every special large target building that pops up. Then the next time you land, the game ends.

Yeah, I remember having to bomb targets, can't remember if I get missing them or maybe they had turrets or something and I'd get shot at and then killed. But I know it was the bombing targets bit that I kept failing on and being game overed.

I don't suppose anyone would be willing to share some tricks on this one? I can't begin to tell you how badly I suck at this game. It took me five tries to break 100 lol!

Here's what i've figured out so far: From the options screen select reverse controls so that when you pull back on the stick you gain altitude. Trundle down the runway and pull back once your speed reaches 100 display changes from red to white. Any other movement or leaving it too late will result in a wreck! Once airbourne shoot planes by changing to their altitude (display goes blue) then line up behind them. To bomb push down to descend and press fire, use your shadow as a guide to where the bomb will land (fire early!) Saying that I forgot the landing procedure so only managed 1,200 "Runway Sweeper Class II" :roll:

post-19705-12679815733_thumb.jpg

There's not long to capture your score pic and doesn't seem to show high score anywhere... Please POST YOUR RANKS with your scores chaps, will use these on the tables. I'll put you down as a Kamikaze Trainee Class 1 for now jetset... did you used to be called propset :P

p.s. Welcome to Mr.Amiga500 :thumbsup:

A hint for all the "Runway Sweepers" out there: blue background on the bottom of the screen means you're at the same altitude of the enemy plane and you can shoot him. Brown background means you're at the altitude where you can strafe the tanks, turrets, cars and ships (stay mainly at this level). Flashing & beeping means you're too low and headed for imminent crash.

11660 Class 4 Squadron Leader (higher score, lower class)

I went through the city 4 times to try to improve my score, but it looks like this lowers the class. So... I wonder how you can get the highest score and the highest class at the same time.

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

I don't suppose anyone would be willing to share some tricks on this one? I can't begin to tell you how badly I suck at this game. It took me five tries to break 100 lol!

Here's what i've figured out so far: From the options screen select reverse controls so that when you pull back on the stick you gain altitude. Trundle down the runway and pull back once your speed reaches 100 display changes from red to white. Any other movement or leaving it too late will result in a wreck! Once airbourne shoot planes by changing to their altitude (display goes blue) then line up behind them. To bomb push down to descend and press fire, use your shadow as a guide to where the bomb will land (fire early!) Saying that I forgot the landing procedure so only managed 1,200 "Runway Sweeper Class II" :roll:

post-19705-12679815733_thumb.jpg

There's not long to capture your score pic and doesn't seem to show high score anywhere... Please POST YOUR RANKS with your scores chaps, will use these on the tables. I'll put you down as a Kamikaze Trainee Class 1 for now jetset... did you used to be called propset :P

p.s. Welcome to Mr.Amiga500 :thumbsup:

I see that the bluemax I have is 24K whereas one on Atarimania is 31K. I hope there aren't any differences in play.

This looks like a 3D version of Tales of Beta Lyra.

I see that the bluemax I have is 24K whereas one on Atarimania is 31K. I hope there aren't any differences in play.

If you're found to be using any air to air missiles or jet engine components you will be disqualified :D Perhaps your version is missing the rendition of Rule Britania. I wasn't going to mention the war but wonder if this game was changed for sale in Germany :!:

Here's what we're after: post-19705-12680024684_thumb.jpeg

Link here re details

Tally ho :!:

If you're found to be using any air to air missiles or jet engine components you will be disqualified :D Perhaps your version is missing the rendition of Rule Britania. I wasn't going to mention the war but wonder if this game was changed for sale in Germany :!:

Here's what we're after:

post-19705-12680024684_thumb.jpeg

Link here re details

Tally ho :!:

At least this one has better collision detection than Tales of Alpha Lyrae or Beta lyrae.

After you drop the landing gear, how do you land. It seems to just crash. Maybe my version always crashes.

After you drop the landing gear, how do you land. It seems to just crash. Maybe my version always crashes.

"We're going to have to come in pretty low to land this thing."

"Is that difficult, Ted?"

"Sure, it's difficult. Coming in low is part of every textbook approach. It's just something you have to do... when you land."

:D

"Sure, it's difficult. Coming in low is part of every textbook approach. It's just something you have to do... when you land.":D

6,850 didn't catch the rating. I'm getting into this now, after 20 goes, got to the second bit!

To land:

Press fire to lower gear when you hear the tone (L shows)

Get low (brown)

Position over landing strip and push and hold forward to complete descent.

Land early so you have room to take off again - like I didn't on my first successful landing DOH :x

Another tip if, or make that when, you have damage to everything (FMGB) stay high and out of the way of everything and try and limp to a runway as one more hit and you're toast. Photo shows my last few moments now where did I put that parachute :twisted:

post-19705-126806936904_thumb.jpg

Another tip if, or make that when, you have damage to everything (FMGB) stay high and out of the way of everything and try and limp to a runway as one more hit and you're toast. Photo shows my last few moments now where did I put that parachute :twisted:

I once did the ultimate (couple months ago): I had total damage (FMGB) and was running out of fuel, so I went as high as possible. I ran out of fuel and drifted. Amazingly, a runway came up at exactly the right time. I just barely made it. I didn't even have to lower the plane - I lost altitude as the runway came up. It was perfect timing. I then went on to complete the game.

• Like 1

"Sure, it's difficult. Coming in low is part of every textbook approach. It's just something you have to do... when you land.":D

6,850 didn't catch the rating. I'm getting into this now, after 20 goes, got to the second bit!

To land:

Press fire to lower gear when you hear the tone (L shows)

Get low (brown)

Position over landing strip and push and hold forward to complete descent.

Land early so you have room to take off again - like I didn't on my first successful landing DOH :x

I haven't got the hang of it yet. I haven't deciphered all the things going on on the scoreboard nor how to land.

OK. Blue Max is one of the best games for A8 of all times, in opinion. I played it to the death back in the days and I still love its balanced gameplay.

I think nobody should be surprised that I beat score counter. icon_twisted.gif On the first screenshot is the last big bunker before my final strike, on the second one it is exploding...

F.

post-5049-126813280467_thumb.png

post-5049-126813281053_thumb.png

My best so far. I'm guessing I *might* break 2k. If I ever figure out how to successfully land and takeoff that is. I did land once or twice, but only had about 2 plane lengths of runway left so I couldnt takeoff agaon. :sad:

post-997-126810607325_thumb.jpg

I figured out the landing part. The people forgot to tell you that when you land, you have to go to altitude = 0 and then don't go any further; it AUTOMATICALLY lands for you. So, just drop the landing gear when runway is approaching and get down to altitude 0 while you're on the runway. If you descent too quickly, you can hit the trees. Oh, they can also bomb you while you are landed. That said, I probably would have gotten a higher score in this game if I didn't land that last time since I had not enough room to take off and they can bomb you while you are refueling.

post-16716-126813484462_thumb.jpg

OK. Blue Max is one of the best games for A8 of all times, in opinion. I played it to the death back in the days and I still love its balanced gameplay.

I think nobody should be surprised that I beat score counter. icon_twisted.gif On the first screenshot is the last big bunker before my final strike, on the second one it is exploding...

F.

Well that's a wrap, Fandal takes #1 spot again! :D Good to see you playing again, it's been a couple games since you played and I was thinking we'd keep picking games you didn't want to play!

F.

Well that's a wrap, Fandal takes #1 spot again! :D Good to see you playing again, it's been a couple games since you played and I was thinking we'd keep picking games you didn't want to play!

Perhaps, someone can wrap around the scoreboard twice and get 200,000.

I'm still figuring out all those letters blinking on the scoreboard like "*", "P", "W", etc.

post-16716-126815449107_thumb.jpg