IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Game 5: Blue Max

OK. Blue Max is one of the best games for A8 of all times, in opinion. I played it to the death back in the days and I still love its balanced gameplay.

I think nobody should be surprised that I beat score counter. icon_twisted.gif On the first screenshot is the last big bunker before my final strike, on the second one it is exploding...

F.

What?? How?? What??

I don't believe it. Are you using the same file version you gave me? Did you hack in a cheat code? ;) I might have believed it if you had 45000 or something, but 100000?

How many times did you go through the city? How did you fly that long without getting killed? How did you take screenshots with such perfect timing? (before AND after bombing that building and while it is in the middle of exploding??) What was your final rank? Where's the final screenshot?

I'm waiting for answers... tapping my foot on the ground... staring at the ceiling... cursing under my breath. ;)

OK. Blue Max is one of the best games for A8 of all times, in opinion. I played it to the death back in the days and I still love its balanced gameplay.

I think nobody should be surprised that I beat score counter. icon_twisted.gif On the first screenshot is the last big bunker before my final strike, on the second one it is exploding...

F.

What?? How?? What??

I don't believe it. Are you using the same file version you gave me? Did you hack in a cheat code? icon_wink.gif I might have believed it if you had 45000 or something, but 100000?

How many times did you go through the city? How did you fly that long without getting killed? How did you take screenshots with such perfect timing? (before AND after bombing that building and while it is in the middle of exploding??) What was your final rank? Where's the final screenshot?

I'm waiting for answers... tapping my foot on the ground... staring at the ceiling... cursing under my breath. icon_wink.gif

OK. Some answers... It's important to know that I play on novice/no gravity settings. I would say that I flew through city 50 times or so while beating the counter. I usually get 2000+ points per one flight so it is easy to count. I didn't finish the last mission to tell the truth. I just destroyed the last bunker, beat the score counter and close the emulator with big "Hurray!". And don't worry, I didn't beat the counter on the first try. I tried to beat it for one WEAK but I was killed many times (usually on my own airfield by those damned enemy bombers). But believe me, I really did it. As I said, I played Blue Max a lot in the past and I still play it from time to time. I would say that I'm pretty good in this game. :) I can make some video if you want...

And now some hints and tricks.

* You get 30 points by bombing roofs in the city so you can use every single bomb on city missions.

* You get 300 points by killing enemy plane which is trying to bomb your base.

* You must be below 25 meters to attack ground units (status screen is brown).

* It is easy to kill slow enemy plane which is coming from behind if you fly to the left corner. Enemy plane will follow you to the left and you can shot it from behind. This doesn't work if you fly to the right.

* You can stop refueling/repairing at your base in enemergency by pressing fire.

* "P" = enemy Plane is about to come, which is very useful to know. ("W" = some common warning, "*"=???)

* You only can kill the enemy plane if you are in the same altitude (status screen is blue).

F.

OK, I'll believe you.... but I'm still cursing under my breath. I know what you mean about getting good at a game. I played Shadow of the Beast to death and I can play it backwards and forwards. (literally... there's a bug that causes the guy to run backwards)

I know all your hints except the "300 points by killing enemy plane which is trying to bomb your base". The only time they bomb is when you're on the ground and can't kill them. Do you mean after taking off? I've done that a few times.

What about ratings? Isn't there a "Blue Max" rating? I think I got it once.

I know all your hints except the "300 points by killing enemy plane which is trying to bomb your base". The only time they bomb is when you're on the ground and can't kill them. Do you mean after taking off? I've done that a few times.

Yes, I mean after taking off. It's my favourite trick. I wait for the bomber to appear and then I quickly press fire to take off.

I'm not sure about this. But I will check it for sure using "save state" feauture.

F.

Great score F. :thumbsup: Well I did want some tough competition but looks like you'll be played 3 won 3 unless anyone else can clock the scoreboard (If they do we'll call this a tie). Did you finally give up crash and get a ranking? Had a load of goes today but only managed a few thousand... "Air Man Class 2" I think... but there's plenty of time left! Will post a table when we have a couple more players scores. Looks like Mr.Amiga is going back to flying school ;)

Looks like Mr.Amiga is going back to flying school ;)

Yes... I'm starting to take this personally. I'd like to point out that I still have the highest score on a real Atari. (I need these small victories... I really do ;))

I tried Fandal's trick of bombing roof tops in the city, but just ended up smashing into the side of a building. (yeah... thanks for that tip)

I just completed the game in one pass, in an attempt to increase my rating. I still only got Class 3 Squadron Leader. My score is lower than my last one, but that one has a lower rating. I still don't understand how it works.

Yes... I'm starting to take this personally. I'd like to point out that I still have the highest score on a real Atari. (I need these small victories... I really do ;))

One minute your the best player in the world and the next Fandal comes and crushes you like a fly... you'll get used to it :D Perhaps you can get the moral victory by acheiving the Blue Max or at least getting the best ranking :ponder:

p.s. I see you Cebus ;)

One minute your the best player in the world and the next Fandal comes and crushes you like a fly... you'll get used to it :D Perhaps you can get the moral victory by acheiving the Blue Max or at least getting the best ranking :ponder:

p.s. I see you Cebus ;)

This game seems to be diagonal oriented so things seem to be always going from lower left to upper right.

The hint by Fandal of moving over to the left when enemy plane comes seems like game engine didn't want to deal with that small area of screen.

I'm just gonna award myself one of these babies:

post-19705-126826209485_thumb.png

post-19705-126826244323_thumb.jpg

Ok I'm a class 4 but finally made it to the city part and destoyed all the tagets so the game ended. Did much better by concentrating, erm, on the height between my and my shadow. I guess there's not much incentive to hit all the city targets and complete the game as were going for score :|

To keep it interesting I'll award 1 bonus point for the highest ranking at the end of the tourney ;)

1040 - still a fun game

Ranking :?: ;)

Vigorously singing along to the music CHECK

Crashed before take off CHECK

Hit Tree on take off CHECK

Crashed when bombing CHECK

Shot by plane when fully damaged and glided into the ground CHECK

Landed too late to take off again CHECK

Hit Tree on Landing CHECK

Bombed on runway CHECK

Shot from behind after taking off CHECK

Any chance of winning this game UNCHECK (I've no idea how anyone can concentrate for so long to clock the scoreboard)

Having fun CHECK

:)

mini table

1st Flying Tiger Class 3: _Fandal_ 99,999+

2nd Squadron Leader Class 3: Mr.Amiga500 11,660

3rd Air Cadet Class 1: cebus capucinis 9,300

4th Blue Max Class 4: therealbountybob 7,290

5th Air Cadet Class 4: divya16 1,860

6th Runway Sweeper Class 1: roadrunner 1,680

7th Air Cadet Class 1: jetset 1,460

8th Runway Sweeper Class ?: 4Ks 1,450

9th Runway Sweeper Class 1: Divya 1,400

10th Runway Sweeper Class ?: Goochman 1,040

11th atariksi in the hangar...

I wasn't sure but "Blue Max" rating is there! I completed the game in six missions killing more than dozen of enemy aircrafts and my rank was "Blue Max" Class 3...

F.

post-5049-126840359464_thumb.png

Edited by _Fandal_

I wasn't sure but "Blue Max" rating is there! I completed the game in six missions killing more than dozen of enemy aircrafts and my rank was "Blue Max" Class 3...

F.

You'll be needing one of these then ;)

post-19705-126840618335_thumb.png

1040 - still a fun game

Ranking :?: ;)

Vigorously singing along to the music CHECK

Crashed before take off CHECK

Hit Tree on take off CHECK

Crashed when bombing CHECK

Shot by plane when fully damaged and glided into the ground CHECK

Landed too late to take off again CHECK

Hit Tree on Landing CHECK

Bombed on runway CHECK

Shot from behind after taking off CHECK

Any chance of winning this game UNCHECK (I've no idea how anyone can concentrate for so long to clock the scoreboard)

Having fun CHECK

Crashed into bomb damage on the runway CHECK

Crashed into the final building in the city while trying to bomb it CHECK

Shot three times by the same enemy plane CHECK

Shot the school bus CHECK

Shot the flashing pickup truck CHECK

Shot the red boat CHECK

Bombed the enemy hangars CHECK

Wondered why the hell my rating is so damn low CHECK

F.

Yeah, I once got Blue Max Class 1. I was quite happy about it. Unfortunately at the time I didn't have a camera to take a screenshot. Now I couldn't get that rating if somebody had a gun to my head. (..which, in fact, they do.... it's a long story...;))

mini table

1st Flying Tiger Class 3: _Fandal_ 99,999+

2nd Squadron Leader Class 3: Mr.Amiga500 11,660

3rd Air Cadet Class 1: cebus capucinis 9,300

4th Blue Max Class 4: therealbountybob 7,290

5th Air Cadet Class 4: divya16 1,860

6th Runway Sweeper Class 1: roadrunner 1,680

7th Air Cadet Class 1: jetset 1,460

8th Runway Sweeper Class ?: 4Ks 1,450

9th Runway Sweeper Class 1: Divya 1,400

10th Runway Sweeper Class ?: Goochman 1,040

11th atariksi in the hangar...

I am waiting in a secret hangar for the enemies to go away. Well, put me down for 3010 for now for first couple of tries. I ran out of runways once I got to the city so ran out of fuel. Perhaps, I need to try Red Max or Green Max before Blue Max. Can you land on the enemy runways?

I am waiting in a secret hangar for the enemies to go away. Well, put me down for 3010 for now for first couple of tries. I ran out of runways once I got to the city so ran out of fuel. Perhaps, I need to try Red Max or Green Max before Blue Max. Can you land on the enemy runways?

There is a Red Max and a fine game it is too, no Green Max... yet :D

Voting open for the next game

There is a Red Max and a fine game it is too, no Green Max... yet :D

Voting open for the next game

I came out of hiding:

post-12094-126850809381_thumb.jpg

13580, but still only Class 4

On another run, I discovered an annoying bug. I was having the best game ever. I landed one pixel too far left on the runway so that the wing was touching the black border. I landed fine, but as soon as I refuelled and started, a bomb crater appeared in front of the plane and the plane exploded. Damn!