IGNORED

7800 - Tempest

GroovyBee

It needs 16K of RAM so that's Winter Games and Impossible Mission (I think). Are there any others? Don't go buying them up at the moment because I have another solution to investigate first.

EDIT: Just checked and its only Summer and Winter games that have enough RAM :(.

Edited by GroovyBee

I can't believe I forgot this obvious title! Shame on me! But the good news is that I am sooooo in for a cart when it's ready! Where do I send payment? I'm ready!

Need to dig up some donor carts eh? Hmm... I'll have to acquire a Winter or Summer games cart it appears... no problemo! Will Shawn Sr be building these carts like Worm!?

April fools is only 2 weeks away....

:rolling: Anybody with a CC2 want to comment on that?

Ah darne! They caught you, GroovyBee. :D

I forgot all about April 1st. I think it's going to be a quite year for April 1st surprises.

Allan

It needs 16K of RAM so that's Winter Games and Impossible Mission (I think). Are there any others? Don't go buying them up at the moment because I have another solution to investigate first.

EDIT: Just checked and its only Summer and Winter games that have enough RAM :(.

We really need a new PCB with ability to ad RAM.

Allan

We really need a new PCB with ability to ad RAM.

Allan

The PCB used in Summer/Winter games is fairly common. It's also not difficult to buy the RAM chips from an online dealer and install it. ;)

Mitch

I can dream of Star Wars Arcade (if it was ever released for the Beeb)

Star Wars was done for the Beeb. Its a monochrome game. I'll have to see what resolution it works at because the Beeb could do a 640 pixel wide mode. There's no chance of the 7800 doing that mode unfortunately.

I've been told that Star Wars on the Beeb isn't a high resolution game so it might be possible to adapt it.

The PCB used in Summer/Winter games is fairly common. It's also not difficult to buy the RAM chips from an online dealer and install it. ;)

Is there a list of game titles and their PCB type available?

Many of the earlier, bankswitched no-RAM games had C300565s and C100339s in them.. but you'd want the 565 only and it's not consistent unfortunately. I think the later games started using different boards that won't support RAM.

For example, I've seen Donkey Kong and DK Jr. carts with both C100339 and also C300565 boards.

The unpopulated 565s are nice because you can easily populate them with whatever you want, without needing to desolder.

The 339 RAM support is defective. My understanding is that it works with 6502 but not MARIA access. Atari shipped some reworked 339s (I had one in my Winter Games) but people say that still didn't fix it 100%.

I would imagine that the O'Sheas inventory might be more consistent, since that stuff was probably manufactured around the same time. So a given title might be 90% the same boards. But I have no idea what boards are generally found in their carts.

This game I'm working on doesn't work correctly in version 1.2 or 1.3e. If you need help tracking the problem(s) down let me know.

Looks like this game probably uses hires mode(s). That's a more uncharted area I'm afraid. I've never looked at the graphics code in prosystem, and I don't know DirectX, but hires likely isn't emulated well since not many games use it.

Many of the earlier, bankswitched no-RAM games had C300565s and C100339s in them.. but you'd want the 565 only and it's not consistent unfortunately. I think the later games started using different boards that won't support RAM.

Thanks for the cart PCB information.

Looks like this game probably uses hires mode(s). That's a more uncharted area I'm afraid. I've never looked at the graphics code in prosystem, and I don't know DirectX, but hires likely isn't emulated well since not many games use it.

It is using 160B mode but the screen data comes from a 16K video buffer at 0x4000. Its a weird error on ProSystem because its not limited to the fact that the enemies aren't drawn its also that their AI/collision detection with the player isn't going either :(. Both sets of code/RAM accesses work fine on the real hardware.

Also, some 7800s are picky about cart RAM access as well, as Bob (Pacmanplus) found out. Basically once you finish the game you need to do a lot of testing on different cart boards and 7800s to verify it works 100% in all situations.

Mitch

Also, some 7800s are picky about cart RAM access as well, as Bob (Pacmanplus) found out. Basically once you finish the game you need to do a lot of testing on different cart boards and 7800s to verify it works 100% in all situations.

Yep! Some investigative work will be required for sure.

I can dream of Star Wars Arcade (if it was ever released for the Beeb)

Star Wars was done for the Beeb. Its a monochrome game. I'll have to see what resolution it works at because the Beeb could do a 640 pixel wide mode. There's no chance of the 7800 doing that mode unfortunately.

I've been told that Star Wars on the Beeb isn't a high resolution game so it might be possible to adapt it.

That would be awesome! But let's first tackle Tempest! lol This is quite exciting to hear though! The 7800 keeps getting better and better! :)

Definitely still needs lots of work but it looks pretty cool so far. Another two button 7800 game. Screens one and two go off the top of the screen and the game ends once I clear a board but I assume you knew about that one, if not both issues.

I also assume the original menu isn't done yet since the boards don't show up on it.

I love April fools jokes that play on my CC2.

post-8459-126882291267_thumb.jpg

post-8459-126882295569_thumb.jpg

Definitely still needs lots of work but it looks pretty cool so far. Another two button 7800 game.

Button 2 is the smart bomb. I need to add a DLI to flash the colours of the playfield when its activated.

Screens one and two go off the top of the screen and the game ends once I clear a board but I assume you knew about that one, if not both issues.

The BBC Micro has a vertical resolution of 256 pixels. The image you see in the game is the lowest 192 pixels of the screen. Hence the reason the screens are clipped and you can't see the score, lives etc.

I also assume the original menu isn't done yet since the boards don't show up on it.

Its fixed in my version ;). As soon as I added support for the Beeb's User Definable Character set it all sprang into life.