IGNORED

Ultimate1MB

candle

Somebody who is REALLY good with a soldering iron (not ME, obviously) could probably make a nice little job for themselves custom fitting candle's various addons in different models of XLs and XEs. :D

i am, and i do :')

sloopy.

Then why the heck haven't you sent me a PM with a price list yet? :D

Somebody who is REALLY good with a soldering iron (not ME, obviously) could probably make a nice little job for themselves custom fitting candle's various addons in different models of XLs and XEs. icon_mrgreen.gif

i am, and i do :')

sloopy.

Then why the heck haven't you sent me a PM with a price list yet? icon_mrgreen.gif

Price is determined by specific work done, as well as the mood Sloopy's wife is in and if he has recently made a trip to WaWa

• 1 month later...

Hi Candle-

Presume that there is no requirement for this upgrade to function that SDX be used as the Dos? (i.e. the ram expansion and multi OS would still work properly with most any Atari Dos.)

-Larry

it contains 512k flash chip that stores SpartaDos X (448kB for SDX) and up to 4 system roms

(snip, snip, snip...)

candle

Just wanted to get some clarification, one would be able to boot up his computer, with this upgrade installed say if there's a blackbox connected and without booting up Sparta Dos, only the stock OS for example? Thanks

Hi Candle-

Presume that there is no requirement for this upgrade to function that SDX be used as the Dos? (i.e. the ram expansion and multi OS would still work properly with most any Atari Dos.)

-Larry

it contains 512k flash chip that stores SpartaDos X (448kB for SDX) and up to 4 system roms

(snip, snip, snip...)

candle

Just wanted to get some clarification, one would be able to boot up his computer, with this upgrade installed say if there's a blackbox connected and without booting up Sparta Dos, only the stock OS for example? Thanks

I believe OS selection will be like most 4-in-1 OS, and it was already stated in post #13 that it would be possible to disable SpartaDOS.

Hi Candle-

-Larry

(snip, snip, snip...)

candle

I believe OS selection will be like most 4-in-1 OS, and it was already stated in post #13 that it would be possible to disable SpartaDOS.

I stand clarified, in that case put me down for 2, thanks

Hi Candle, sounds like a great offering.

Two questions---

A) How much soldering would be involved?

B) For NTSC machines, would this go better in a 65XE or 1200XL? Probably others can answer that one, too.

Great! Thanks

This upgrade board is designed to connect to a 16K OS socket, so a 1200XL would require the conversion to a single 16K OS chip instead of dual 8K. Many 1200XLs already have 28-pin OS sockets installed making this a fairly simple procedure.

The 65XE would probably involve as much or more soldering than the 1200XL since the OS and MMU are probably not socketed. Other than cable connections to these sockets this upgrade only requires 3 additional connections to the main board. It is also easier to damage a 65XE board if inexperienced at soldering.

One question. It was stated that for XEGS mode, the board also contains 8KB Basic + 8KB Missile Command. But what happens to this memory (16KB) if the board is not used in an XEGS but in an XL or XE?

Does it mean those 16KB are available for SDX (448KB instead of 432KB) or can it be used for an extra OS (5 instead of 4 OSes)? Or is that 16KB unused then?

Robert

If anyone in the UK needs one of these fitting to an XE and isn't comfy with desoldering, I'll be happy to help out. My wife may take some persuading about the idea, however. :)

i can do the same for anyone in the US... (or anywhere in the world if they want to pay shipping :')

sloopy.

This upgrade board is designed to connect to a 16K OS socket, so a 1200XL would require the conversion to a single 16K OS chip instead of dual 8K. Many 1200XLs already have 28-pin OS sockets installed making this a fairly simple procedure.

The 65XE would probably involve as much or more soldering than the 1200XL since the OS and MMU are probably not socketed. Other than cable connections to these sockets this upgrade only requires 3 additional connections to the main board. It is also easier to damage a 65XE board if inexperienced at soldering.

Hi BillC,

I opened up my 1200XL and 65XE tonight. The 1200XL is socketed, but has 24-pin sockets rather than 28-pin.

On my 65XE, the U5 OS ROM is socketed. Oops, didn't check the MMU chip but I think it was socketed, too. So, most likely will go into the 65XE for me.

Thanks for the assistance!

[Edit]

On the 65XE, where is the MMU relative to the OS ROM? I couldn't find any images that identify the MMU chip. Thanks again.

Edited by hitchcock4