IGNORED

Ultimate1MB

candle

This upgrade board is designed to connect to a 16K OS socket, so a 1200XL would require the conversion to a single 16K OS chip instead of dual 8K. Many 1200XLs already have 28-pin OS sockets installed making this a fairly simple procedure.

The 65XE would probably involve as much or more soldering than the 1200XL since the OS and MMU are probably not socketed. Other than cable connections to these sockets this upgrade only requires 3 additional connections to the main board. It is also easier to damage a 65XE board if inexperienced at soldering.

Hi BillC,

I opened up my 1200XL and 65XE tonight. The 1200XL is socketed, but has 24-pin sockets rather than 28-pin.

On my 65XE, the U5 OS ROM is socketed. Oops, didn't check the MMU chip but I think it was socketed, too. So, most likely will go into the 65XE for me.

Thanks for the assistance!

[Edit]

On the 65XE, where is the MMU relative to the OS ROM? I couldn't find any images that identify the MMU chip. Thanks again.

I don't have a 65XE, but on my 130XE the MMU is about 1" left of the OS and is part #CO61618-20. Unfortunately this board is completely unsocketed.

it's C061618, not CO ;)

65 and 130XE have MMU chips in the same place (starting from XEN board, and later XE board for 65/130), ealier models - without ECI port have it a bit lower, but thats all

XEGS MMU is C101686

1200XL uses older version of MMU chip, than can be replaced by stock XL/XE MMU - do not worry, everything will be provided

it's C061618, not CO ;)

65 and 130XE have MMU chips in the same place (starting from XEN board, and later XE board for 65/130), ealier models - without ECI port have it a bit lower, but thats all

XEGS MMU is C101686

1200XL uses older version of MMU chip, than can be replaced by stock XL/XE MMU - do not worry, everything will be provided

I stand corrected, I used CO instead of C0 because that's what I've seen at Best Electronics and a lot of other sites. It's not always possible to tell the difference from the text on the IC.

I notice that a lot of the Atari custom ICs listed at Best Electronics start with "CO".

Edited by BillC

• 1 month later...

I have been speaking to Candle and he referred me back to you guys. I have an 800xl (all chips socketed) with a ICD RAmbo 256k upgrade installed (looks like a clean install btw). My questions pertain to the ultimate 1mb upgrade co existing with the Rambo 256k upgrade. Will there be issues with it?

I don't mind if the Ultimate 1mb just overrides the 256k rambo and there are no issues at all but could there be issues with Shadowing of the memory and loops or other types?

@Pilsner73

I have seen that question before, and I still don't understand why in the world someone would want to keep another memupgrade? First of all, most (if not all) older memory upgrades in Atari XL computers s*ck bigtime. They are very unreliable, especially when PBI devices, or multi-roms are installed. Next to that most modern (and bigger) memory upgrades do have several settings, so they also could act like a RAMBO 256KB memory expansion.

I'm really interested in the reason why you want to keep it.

It is really easy to downgrade your upgraded xl back to normal. You could keep using the RAM (41256) installed in your XL, they'll act like 64KB when you remove the ICD PCB and install the original parts (LS158, resistor) back on the orginal place in your atari. You won't need the 4164 DRAMS.

Greetz

M>

@Pilsner73

I have seen that question before, and I still don't understand why in the world someone would want to keep another memupgrade? First of all, most (if not all) older memory upgrades in Atari XL computers s*ck bigtime. They are very unreliable, especially when PBI devices, or multi-roms are installed. Next to that most modern (and bigger) memory upgrades do have several settings, so they also could act like a RAMBO 256KB memory expansion.

I'm really interested in the reason why you want to keep it.

It is really easy to downgrade your upgraded xl back to normal. You could keep using the RAM (41256) installed in your XL, they'll act like 64KB when you remove the ICD PCB and install the original parts (LS158, resistor) back on the orginal place in your atari. You won't need the 4164 DRAMS.

Greetz

M>

I bought the 800xl with the Rambo 256k already installed. I am only asking because it's in there already and I didn't do the upgrade and have no idea what was done to install it and if any parts have been changed or removed by the installer that may be needed to put back in the 800xl. You say install the ls158 and resistor back, where does one find these?

I bought the 800xl with the Rambo 256k already installed. I am only asking because it's in there already and I didn't do the upgrade and have no idea what was done to install it and if any parts have been changed or removed by the installer that may be needed to put back in the 800xl. You say install the ls158 and resistor back, where does one find these?

Ah. Yes. Probably are these parts also used on the Rambo Board itself. Are the IC's on socket on that RAMBO Board?

Do you have an original XL (64KB)? If yes: you could look where the original parts belong, and how they are installed.

It is probably rather easy to obtain a 33Ohm resistor, and a 74LS158 in a electronics store, or on ebay, or perhaps if you have a spare 600XL or something...

Greetz

M>

Ah. Yes. Probably are these parts also used on the Rambo Board itself. Are the IC's on socket on that RAMBO Board?

Do you have an original XL (64KB)? If yes: you could look where the original parts belong, and how they are installed.

It is probably rather easy to obtain a 33Ohm resistor, and a 74LS158 in a electronics store, or on ebay, or perhaps if you have a spare 600XL or something...

Greetz

M>

Hmm I have a non functional 800xl that seems to be a different revision than my working 800xl. I have no idea what is wrong with the 800xl that isn't working and worried about swapping parts from it in case it's the issue. Now I could try swapping the PIA and 74ls158 from the bad machine as a test but like I said not sure if they are working. The next question of course what is the 330ohm for? Because I don't see it mentioned in the rambo manual for the 800xl install.

Edited by Pilsner73

@Pilsner73

You can always try. As far as I know it is not 330 Ohm ... it is 33 Ohm. That is the resistor that is mounted just above the first ram. If that one is installed (on both connection points) just leave it there, but it is probably not there, or connected at one side.

You can always swap components as long they are in socket.

The chance that a defect IC will harm your working Atari is not that big. Ofcourse a bad component will make the working atari non-working as well ofcourse, but when you swap the component back, then you're done again.

Greetz

M

@Pilsner73

You can always try. As far as I know it is not 330 Ohm ... it is 33 Ohm. That is the resistor that is mounted just above the first ram. If that one is installed (on both connection points) just leave it there, but it is probably not there, or connected at one side.

You can always swap components as long they are in socket.

The chance that a defect IC will harm your working Atari is not that big. Ofcourse a bad component will make the working atari non-working as well ofcourse, but when you swap the component back, then you're done again.

Greetz

M

My mistake I looked at it real quick and typed 330 instead of 33ohm. As to why I asked about it, I don't see any mention of it in the icd rambo manual mentioned (at least the 800xl section). I might have time this weekend to take things apart and all. You are correct there is no need for the Rambo XL if I have Candles ultimate 1mb upgrade. My worry is I don't know how the Rambo was installed though it looks like the person followed the manual but it could turn into more work getting things back to stock than I'm capable of doing currently.

Edited by Pilsner73

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look forward to seeing some installs of this device when it comes out. I finally solved the 800xl rambo issue I was having, I just bought a stock 800xl that cleaned up very well and all the chips are socketed and it's ready to be modified.

Edited by Pilsner73

i should have boards shipped from pcb house next week, and already have most of the components on shelf

you can expect some pictures next week ;) hopefully some panels partially assembled (still waiting for RAM chips and some connectors)