IGNORED

Well, my 360 finely died.

Video

No I wanted to copy it. I was thinking of getting the new Xbox, but as it won't support memory cards (I think) I won't be able to just put that in and play my profile from the card. But I would still go to friends houses and such, so I need a way to keep it portable.

Why would having multiple profiles be against microsofts live's terms (or even relevant) I don't have Live anyways, and likely never will, well, at least at this point in he 360's life anyways.

If you sign up free a free Live silver account with that profile, you can use Live's recover function to whisk your account to whichever 'net connected console you happen to be using.

Alternately, just update all your consoles to dash 9199 (get it by extracting it to a USB stick, the file is here ) This will then let you use any Xbox with USB sticks as MUs, and therefore let your move your profile between the regular 360 and any 360 S console you might have.

I'm not sure if the service center is putting 9199 on consoles yet, so these steps only apply if the console you get back does not already let you configure USB devices as MUs.

I got 1 red LED and it was not covered under warranty even though the machine is only a couple years old. They want $99 to fix it. I said forget it.

To my understanding, it's the stupid way the site is set up to do the claim thing. I mean, it's first question is what kin of ring do you got? (to which you say 1, or whatever, which is not in itself covered beyond one year) and the second question is what error is on screen, in my case the E74, which is covered, reguardless of the ring, butthe site apparnetly looks at the order of your problem and excludes anything beyond the first question. I called and got it set up so now it's free.

I got my thing intoday. I guess they don't ship a box anymore, I got an envelope with a UPS sticker to put on my own box. Ugg...Now when I get home, I get to see if I can find a box to fitmy Xbox in. Oh...gotta go to the store and get a new roll of bubble wrap, I'm anal like that, I know it's broken, but it's gotta be able to be run over and still survive when I pack it :P

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got a call from home and the UPS dropped my box off today, so when Iget home I get to rip that open and see how it works, if I got the same system or what :P Though at thips oint, I'll probably be getting a new Xbox anyways, especially with reach just a month away, WOO.

Anyhow, just thought of something, if they didn't send me the system i sent out, it may not work with the power supply I got, since I got the older higher voltage one :lol: Oh well, we'll burn that bridge when we get there.

Well, finely got around to messing with it today. It's dead LOL. I'm not sure rather it's better or worse than it was before, but now I get the true red ring thing. That sucks.

Now the question I guess would be, if I should bother with it or just chunk it and get another one.

Now the question I guess would be, if I should bother with it or just chunk it and get another one.

Chunk it and get another one, unless you have absolute faith you will be able to fix it yourself. I tried fixing my brother's system (RROD) via online tutorials.. Wow, what a bad idea that was. I couldn't get the motherboard to set properly after I took it out (using the penny trick). :lol: If you have the money, those new slims look quite nice..

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I decided I'll just pick up a new slimline machine when I pick up Halo tuesday. One thing I'd like to know, since I'll probably get the cheaper system (as I'm pretty broke right now) Is the 4G system a HDD, or some sort of internal memory? The reason I ask is, it's going to be a pain in my ass getting all my stuff copied over from my old HDD and memory cards as is, if I get a new drive for the S, will I have to transfer evertying again? If so, I may just get a 16G memory stick and not bother with HDD's, memory cards are certainly cheaper, and more accessable. Well, not cheaper if I was getting 200 GB, but considering I never even filled the 512m card I keep all my saves on, I doubt I'd ever need that much memory.

Anyhow, and, since the systemhas a wireless thing in it, maybe I'll finely get unlazy enough to set it up and get online, but I don't think I'll be able to play on it, just depends on how good a wireless I get around here.

Cool, just wanted to know.

Not that BC is important, the 360 never did that anyways (well, to any level of usefulness that I ever saw) Outside of that, the only real use of the HDD, was to save wear and tear on the disc drive, though since it's a new system, and I'll leave the playstation hooked up for movies and other stuff, I don't think that'll be an issue.

Then again, I could probably get $100 for the drive, despite it not costing that, maybe I'd get it anyways....but since the new systems are all supposed to read flash drives, I see no reason to use dedicated hardware to save my games on when I can use cheap memory, that I can even easily back up so I don't have to worry about it dying. (or being stuck on an odd format drive that only works on one system. :P )

Still thinking, guess I'll see when I get to the store tonight, it might be, availability will make the choice for me :P

• 2 months later...

Welp, mine just died.

Tried to play Fallout:NV and it kept locking up after a few minutes. 3 times. Then I got one red ring + some error code. Tried again, it wouldn't go past the splash screen. Then it was 3 rings.

I got this in april of '08 with the stimulus check + 2 year protection plan.

Might as well get a newer 250 gig with Kinect(for screwin' around with) since mine was only a 20 gig model, and hard drive space filled up quick.

Dammit. RIGHT when I had plenty of free time to play Fallout.

RRoD is covered for 3 years. Might as well send it in and get it repaired.

I agree with you though you should go snag a newer more reliable model with the built in WiFi, save the unit they send you back as a back up.

I agree with you though you should go snag a newer more reliable model with the built in WiFi, save the unit they send you back as a back up.

Is it covered by Microsoft for 3 years? Okay, dumb question. Hmm. I just don't want to risk my game saves. I'm about 70 hours into Fallout:New Vegas, and hmm... Okay, what's the URL to send 'er in?

Yeah, I thought about the memory stick, but it's not compatible, or not with my system. Of course, from the sound of it (from what I've heard) apparently, I"m as or more likely to receive a new system as opposed to the one I sent in anyways, maybe I'll have an update.

Short of that, is there any game that has the "read memory stick" patch on them? Like I said, I don't have live, but I"m a crack addict to new games, keep getting them, even though I don't want them and can't use them and sure as heck can't play them :o but anyhow, maybe something I already have but haven't played has the patch. :lol: :P

as far as i know no 360 games has the updates on the disk, you either have to plug the 360 into the net (no matter if you only have a sliver account (free account) it should still update your firmware), and or you can download it from xbox.com and burn the update to a disk and do it that way if the firmware version don't support the USB update.

Seems like you either have the Zephyr or falcon model (since its 3 years old) but it don't matter because the e74 error is covered for 3 years. it should say it in your users guide/owners manual, if it don't that only means that the book and system was made before the E74 was covered (which was in April 14, 2009).

send it back and get another one. i would try to make them to give you a new one because of your loss on their behalf of a faulty system design. because if you do not say anything you will get a refurb of your same model. most of the refurb units are in really bad shape case wise. if they do give you a refurb unit (the same as your model) you can bet it wont last as long and will either RRod or E74 on you again, and after that you are out of luck.

you should be able to pick up the transfer kit to transfer your data from your old HDD onto your new 360.

Edited by madmax2069

On-screen error E74 is covered by the 3-year warranty.

Really? Cause it was through Microsoft's website that it told me the 1 quadrant E74 was only covered for 1 year... Maybe I can call them, but the only two times I called before, I got hooked to some japanese dude that barely knew english and was little or no help at all.

Anyhow, even if it is free to fix it, I'll probably get another one too, just cause I want a slimline one and the kenetic whenever that comes out. Then I can play coop on two systems. :D

Alf pwned your Xbox.

Well, wouldn't surprise me, that's one thing he's good at :P

I had E74 and they covered it. And, get a load of this....the replacement box has actually worked too! I know, incredible. :)

Is it covered by Microsoft for 3 years? Okay, dumb question. Hmm. I just don't want to risk my game saves. I'm about 70 hours into Fallout:New Vegas, and hmm... Okay, what's the URL to send 'er in?

Your game saves are on your hard drive which Microsoft will tell you to not send in with the system. At least that it what I was told with the 3 or 4 I have sent in over the years. They will tell you that xbox live stuff will need to be re-downloaded (you don't have to buy it again though) but I have been hit or miss with downloading some of my old games. Others have had no problems though so maybe it's me. There really is no reason not to send it in if it's stll under warranty.

Edited by GKC

I'm about to buy a new slim myself. My Xbox isn't reading discs anymore, and we've resorted to moving my brother-in-law's Xbox to the living room. I might just keep the casing though, I mean its the Halo edition Xbox.

All you have to do is buy a new drive off of ebay that matches your current drive, open both up, and swap out the control boards.

If you do the work yourself, its a $30 fix.