IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

Ok,  Just tried with Spectrum's "security suite" (provided by f_secure), and it didn't like something about cartpack.dll.

My Windows defender, however, isn't letting out a peep.

Interestingly, I'm using JAWS, which is probably the most famous commercial screen reader (for the blind/visually impaired).  This so-called "security suite" says something relating to JAWS is also harmful.  Now, JAWS is routinely used/downloaded by many thousands of computer users who have a need for it.  I am VERY certain they have crossed all the T'sand dotted all the I's as far as application signing are concerned, and, they are still getting a false possitive from F_Secure.  However, if JAWS were harmful to computer users, there'd be an uproar in the AT community.

So, I don't trust absolutely everything coming from my virus scanner.

Now, off to Freedom Scientific to see about the false possitive with one of their programs.

Cheers!

Almost every antivirus vendor has a method of reporting suspected false-positives, either via the program GUI or a website.  I recommend people like us familiarize ourselves with the process as this is going to get worse before it gets better, especially for unsigned software.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

Almost every antivirus vendor has a method of reporting suspected false-positives, either via the program GUI or a website.  I recommend people like us familiarize ourselves with the process as this is going to get worse before it gets better, especially for unsigned software.

I've done this with malwarebytes many times..

Cartpack is the funniest one, because there's almost no PC executable code in there. It's a bunch of structures, ROM data, copyright debug, and four 1-line functions to report the ROMs to the emulator.

Oddly, using OutputDebugString is now considered suspicious activity. I had no idea many viruses make a point of reporting every step they take. (Maybe the vendors assume that such things are removed from release builds, but running DebugView will quickly show you they aren't ;) ).

• Like 2

It looks interesting, but it looks like you need to have an Azure account as well just to access the service...? Still, looks like it might work out cheaper than any other service... to start at least ;)

• 2 weeks later...

@Tursi

Any chance of getting an enhancement to dump memory?

What I'm looking for is an option to have memory dumped in such a fashion, that it would be easy to convert to data statements.

Use case, a particular program loads code from >A000 - >B000 I want to capture and reuse it. I'd dump memory, and that block of memory would become data statement and aorg'ed where I need them.

1 minute ago, dhe said:

image.png.6cee83c59d10f776cfeb742dbfd74f81.png

See (F10) - Dump RAM

You get the whole enchilada in binary.  (Both CPU RAM and VDP (in separate files)).

I get actual memory contents in bin files.  I was hoping for an option to copy text directly from the debug window.  Doing it this way, I have to open a hex editor.

I am confused by the last four messages.

@dhe - you asked for a way to dump memory then identified the dump memory command :)

@OLD CS1 - Unfortunately, when I made the debugger larger, it started to flicker like heck, so I changed it all to a bitmap instead. I've been meaning to do SOMETHING about that cause I like to copy out too, so for now I've added a menu option (under view) to copy the left or right pane to the clipboard. It's not perfect, but at least the data comes out. That'll be .072 - it's uploaded now though the page won't update for a few hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@dhe - you asked for a way to dump memory then identified the dump memory command :)

I'd like a hex ask dump, something I could then more easily use by cutting and pasting in to an editor.

9 hours ago, dhe said:

I'd like a hex ask dump, something I could then more easily use by cutting and pasting in to an editor.

Ah. Well, if the displayed data is sufficient, you can use the new copy command.

For all of memory, that's much more appropriate to an external tool. Under Linux "hd" (hexdump) is standard, there are probably Windows ports as well.

On 4/22/2024 at 8:54 PM, Tursi said:

I guess I could go subscription, lootbox and DLC like everything else?

Classic99 399 Ultra! Only $2.99/month, comes with 1 disk drive and 32k RAM, just like your original system!

Wow!  For half the price of one hour on The Source!  My original system only had cassette! 

Seriously, though, I just got Wine + Classic99 running.  

But yuck: First time I've seen  Avast interfere with a brew install.  Avast quarantined all the DLLs while 'brew install wine-stable' was writing to /private/tmp/homebrew*.   "WTF! Mayday! This is Mac Avast outpost 49, there's DLLs raining down!"  AFAIK, can't add Unix executables like 'brew' to trusted applications.

(speaking of cassettes, thanks a lot, @OLD CS1) .

Classic99 is running on with Wine-stable-9.0-osx64 + MacOS 13.something.  Yay!  I'm not tethered to my PC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

But yuck: First time I've seen  Avast interfere with a brew install.  Avast quarantined all the DLLs while 'brew install wine-stable' was writing to /private/tmp/homebrew*.   "WTF! Mayday! This is Mac Avast outpost 49, there's DLLs raining down!"  AFAIK, can't add Unix executables like 'brew' to trusted applications.

(speaking of cassettes, thanks a lot, @OLD CS1) .

Get me details on what you are doing and I will run them up the flagpole.

I'm looking for help with classic99 emulator. I read the pdf file and I've managed to get almost all games from the FinalGROM99 zip file to run in 'app mode' so I can use them via steam in big picture mode. There's about 5 games that I'm having issues with. Some of them will load using the menu and play fine but I can't get them to work in 'app mode' using the classic99.ini file.

Im_Hiding ( phm3155c.BIN phm3155g.bin )
[AppMode]
EnableAppMode=1
AppName=I'm Hiding
SkipTitle=1
AutoStartCart=2
------------------------

[roms]
cartgroup=2
cartidx=1
------------------------

[usercart0]
name=I'm Hiding

ROM0=C|6000|8192|phm3155c.bin
ROM1=G|6000|16384|phm3155g.bin

Sorgan_2 ( sorgan2C.BIN sorgan2D.BIN  )

[AppMode]
EnableAppMode=1
AppName=Sorgan_2
SkipTitle=1
AutoStartCart=2

------------------------

[roms]
cartgroup=2
cartidx=1

------------------------

[usercart0]
name=Sorgan_2
ROM0=C|6000|8192|sorgan2C.BIN
ROM1=X|6000|8192|sorgan2D.BIN

Killer Caterpillar ( killercater.bin  ) *pretty sure this is an 8.BIN file

[AppMode]
EnableAppMode=1
AppName=Killer Caterpillar
SkipTitle=1
AutoStartCart=2

------------------------

[roms]
cartgroup=2
cartidx=1

------------------------

[usercart0]
name=Killer Caterpillar
rom0=C|6000|80000|killercater.bin

I've tried this with every possible letter rom0=G|6000|80000|killercaterC.bin rom0=C|6000|80000|killercaterC.bin rom0=8|6000|80000|killercater8.BIN

Nothing works but the game loads fine via the menu.

Debug says loading file killer caterpillar 'non inverted' bank mask.

[usercart0]
name=Dragon_Flyer
ROM0=G|6000|16384|dragonflyer.bin

Same thing...tried every combo with this and nothing works.

I'm I missing something in my ini file that might be causing this?

I have Retroarch via Steam but it's missing a core for the TI994A and it's one of my favorite classic consoles. That said, I sought out to find a way to bring all my games into one platform (Steam)...I scowered the net and stumbled upon classic99 which I had used years ago....it was exactly what I was looking for!! Awesome app dude!! If anyone's interested here is my project: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I8re7R_mDO4mt5VmG7UXAGbTLENMPiRu?usp=drive_link

It's important to approach troubleshooting in a deliberate manner, just randomly trying letters won't teach very much. Still, it sounds like you know where to look.

Can you make these titles work outside of App mode? Perhaps there's an incompatibility?

When you are using the INI file, the filename is not parsed, so you don't have to rename the file to change the type. The letter at the beginning of the line is considered authoritative.

I was going to pull down Killer Caterpillar to see, but I don't see it at your link there... can you post the ROMs that don't work?

It's definitely not a use of app mode that I expected, but neat :)

9 hours ago, kat71753 said:

I'm looking for help with classic99 emulator. I read the pdf file and I've managed to get almost all games from the FinalGROM99 zip file to run in 'app mode' so I can use them via steam in big picture mode. There's about 5 games that I'm having issues with. Some of them will load using the menu and play fine but I can't get them to work in 'app mode' using the classic99.ini file.

You have decimal numbers instead of hexadecimal in many places, e.g. 8192, 16384.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 1:12 PM, Asmusr said:

You have decimal numbers instead of hexadecimal in many places, e.g. 8192, 16384.

[usercart0]
name=D-Station_I
ROM0=C|6000|8192|dstatn1C.BIN

I was under the impression the the 2nd set of numbers after the | was for the file size of the cart. 8192 would be the file size of this one.

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 1:05 PM, Tursi said:

It's important to approach troubleshooting in a deliberate manner, just randomly trying letters won't teach very much. Still, it sounds like you know where to look.

Can you make these titles work outside of App mode? Perhaps there's an incompatibility?

When you are using the INI file, the filename is not parsed, so you don't have to rename the file to change the type. The letter at the beginning of the line is considered authoritative.

I was going to pull down Killer Caterpillar to see, but I don't see it at your link there... can you post the ROMs that don't work?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Cu9Ds5zfJ4M8gi7uJr5HeKdDAP7AoDNg?usp=drive_link

All the games I couldn't get working. 2-3 of them are potentially bad dumps. As stated in the Notes file, the folders in red won't work period. The others will run but only through loading in normal mode via the menu.

I didn't zip these so that the ini , cart name etc can be looked at without a mass amount of downloading.

Edited by kat71753

On 5/8/2024 at 1:05 PM, Tursi said:

I can't think of any other place I'd rather have all my TI994A carts than on Steam.

Screenshot_2024-05-10_22-23-19.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-10_22-23-56.jpg