IGNORED

Announcement at Big Bang

Crimefighter

Announced today at Big Bang, Billy Mitchell showed video gameplay footage that he has retaken the Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Jr. world records in the same day. Mitchell only raised the record by only 1100 points choosing not to go for every point he could get...while on DKJ he ran the points up on the sparks board by standing on the left edge of the third level waiting for sparks to come down and hopping one or two at a time over and over until the clock ran out up until his last man. He reached the kill screen on DKJ.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx?c=27&id=2213

Go Hank.

I suppose I should be happy for all the attention that this is getting... but it feels cheap. The Billy Mitchell/Steve Wiebe thing makes this feel like a pro wrestling rivalry. I would prefer video game records to be on a higher level.

Go Hank.

I suppose I should be happy for all the attention that this is getting... but it feels cheap. The Billy Mitchell/Steve Wiebe thing makes this feel like a pro wrestling rivalry. I would prefer video game records to be on a higher level.

It's only a matter of time before one of them decides they want to take down Homerwanabee on DK3 and then the real WWF action will begin.....Morgan

Actually I did interview a former pro wrestler that is now a Twin Galaxies referee and he did make that gaming vs. wrestling comparison.

I think you did that interview while I was playing "I made a game with zombies in it". Probably should of been concentrating on the game instead overhearing your conversation. Let me know when you post that interview.

Announced today at Big Bang, Billy Mitchell showed video gameplay footage that he has retaken the Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Jr. world records in the same day. Mitchell only raised the record by only 1100 points choosing not to go for every point he could get...while on DKJ he ran the points up on the sparks board by standing on the left edge of the third level waiting for sparks to come down and hopping one or two at a time over and over until the clock ran out up until his last man. He reached the kill screen on DKJ.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx?c=27&id=2213

Color me impressed....not. :yawn:

Go Hank.

It's only a matter of time before one of them decides they want to take down Homerwanabee on DK3 and then the real WWF action will begin.....Morgan

:D

Go Hank.

You are kidding right? Just be lucky anyone at all cares about this stuff anymore. I would rather have it go the route or pro wrestling rivalry than have kids saying "What is Donkey Kong?"

You are kidding right? Just be lucky anyone at all cares about this stuff anymore. I would rather have it go the route or pro wrestling rivalry than have kids saying "What is Donkey Kong?"

I'd rather have them ask "What is Donkey Kong?", then ask, "who is this ass-clown, Billy Mitchell". Was Jesse Ventura good for Minnesota? No he wasn't. This is the same thing.

Just how is everyone keeping up with all the interviews and such? I read about these things when I hear about these things but there is so much out there right now and its hard to keep everything right.

Anyway, my two cents on this is, Billy is a cheat, or atleast was, and I can't trust him. I don't believe anything from the guy anymore. I have seen and read enough to make me wonder enough that I'm just not interested in the guy anymore. Even the people that are talking about him in a positive way always seem to say something that makes me wonder where his head is.

I would love to see this record put too far out of his reach to even have to worry about him. I don't care who gets it, so long as Billy isn't at the top anymore. What a guy.

Anyway, my two cents on this is, Billy is a cheat, or atleast was, and I can't trust him. I don't believe anything from the guy anymore.

How do you figure that? From the movie? :P

Not that I'm defending the guy (I don't know him, nor care less) but I've never seen anything that would make me think of him as a cheat. If there's one thing I appreciate it's video gaming skills and the guy's obviously got it ever since the 80's... :ponder:

Anyway, my two cents on this is, Billy is a cheat, or atleast was, and I can't trust him. I don't believe anything from the guy anymore.

How do you figure that? From the movie? :P

Not that I'm defending the guy (I don't know him, nor care less) but I've never seen anything that would make me think of him as a cheat. If there's one thing I appreciate it's video gaming skills and the guy's obviously got it ever since the 80's... :ponder:

some of it is from the movies, King of Kong and Chasing Ghost, some from interviews on Youtube and the like, some from the print (or online articles). I'll explain more.

First let me explain that I'm not saying he is cheating in the games, but I'm not ruling that out either. What I will commit to is my belief that he is all about doing whatever it takes to make sure he is credited and no one else is.

He talks and acts like he is the only person playing these games with a chance. I understand this when you are working against someone, but he really isn't most of the time. The challenge should be between the game and you, and for most people it is. Sure, there is something to be said for being better then the other guy, but at the end of the day you have to be better then the game to be the best. It has little to nothing to do with the other guy. You can't think of playing single player games for a score like playing football or boxing. You aren't playing against someone, you are playing against the game.

Because he takes this "I have to beat that guy" approach he has put himself in a place to prove he is the best. Doing that leads to doing what it takes to be the best, and when you can't do that through ability you have to do it through less honorable tactics. These include in Billy's case:

1) Intimidating officials and other members of the community, and then using that intimadation to control people's beliefs and actions.

2)Instantly discrediting any other record attempt in a game he holds a record in without reason or even all the information. This used with my first point leads to very bad things for the community such as the inspection of another player's machine.

3) Double speak! He is a master of this craft. He says one thing (If you want to prove you have what it takes do it in public) and doing another (submitting a tape that was clearly suspect during another players public performace). Talking about playing in public all the time, and his wife saying she has never seen him do it... Again, because he controls the beliefs and actions of people through intimidation of some sort he can get away with this with great affect.

There are other things he does but this will get my point across. The man views people trying for the same record as the bad guy and aims to win. Not win with honor, but win. He is involved in the inspection of another record holder's machine, because he doesn't like someone the other record holder doesn't hate he discredits the entire process, and because he controls the people at TG they follow him in this belief. No one really buys the story about a bad board right? I mean he went and did better on the machine no one else could really play on. The one machine they wanted him to do this on to prove he was good, and instead of allowing Wiebe this chance to prove himself in a crowd he plays the snake and sends a tape. The same action he discredited when Wiebe did it.

Then comes what makes me suspect him of true honest to goodness cheating. He gets to see and inspect Wiebe's machine and his game play (as I understand it), but instructs his lacky to stop Wiebe from seeing his game play footage. This is something. Billy never could get over 1,000,000 before he saw how Wiebe did it, and suddenly he is up there too? Thats cheating Bronco style.

If nothing else he cheats through all this political crap.

I'm sure no one read all that, and I'm sure I haven't changed anyone's mind, but I defended my point and I feel good saying the man is no good for the community. He is a bad sport if nothing else.

3) Double speak! He is a master of this craft. He says one thing (If you want to prove you have what it takes do it in public) and doing another (submitting a tape that was clearly suspect during another players public performace). Talking about playing in public all the time, and his wife saying she has never seen him do it... Again, because he controls the beliefs and actions of people through intimidation of some sort he can get away with this with great affect.

I don't recall - did his wife say that she never saw him play in public or never saw him compete head-to-head in public? As you know, his DK and DK Jr. records were performed in public, recorded and performed in front of a Twin Galaxies referee.

Then comes what makes me suspect him of true honest to goodness cheating. He gets to see and inspect Wiebe's machine and his game play (as I understand it), but instructs his lacky to stop Wiebe from seeing his game play footage. This is something. Billy never could get over 1,000,000 before he saw how Wiebe did it, and suddenly he is up there too? Thats cheating Bronco style.

That is something Twin Galaxies needs to change: a ref should not be allowed to submit their own scores on a platform that they preside over.

Case in point: I broke a record on a console game that was held by the referee of that platform. The ref sees my tape, verifies it, logs my score and then three weeks later he breaks my record. I can tell you with certainty that watching my technique aided him in breaking my record.

I'm sure no one read all that

I did! :)

I really think the refs should not be allowed to hold records at all. In a perfect world anyway. Even if I don't play a game, seeing how to break the record may get me into it, and I have all the secrets. I know this can't be the way it really is, but it would be really really nice. I have thought about sending in footage before and stopped because of this conflict of interest. For the record though, there seems to be a system in place to ask that a ref not be involved in the process for your video.

TG is going to have a problem anyway. They seem to be a very tight group and it would seem like they have a problem with new gamers coming in and breaking anyone in the groups records. I'm not going to write another essay about this, but it comes off that way atleast. The big games seem worse then the average game. DK, Pac Man... that kind of thing.

And I didn't know that he broke those records in public, but I couldn't find proof of his breaking a record in public before KoK, and in that movie he talks about the importance of it. Fishy!

And Todd Rogers bothers me as well.

I don't like that Todd Rogers was one of the refs. Some of his records are dubious.

Here's one that I question:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx?c=22&pi=7&gi=3834&vi=2815

An even 65 million on 5200 Centipede? John Marks sits in second place with a score that is 0.09% of the record score?

I have never watched Rogers play, but I just can't see someone being that good to score 65 million on Centipede.

I really think the refs should not be allowed to hold records at all.

I think it is OK but it is not OK to submit scores on platforms they preside over.

TG is going to have a problem anyway.

Keep an eye out for Aurcade.com. Aurcade's Arcade Tournament System (ATS) was the official scorekeeper of Funspot 12 and again a few weeks ago at the Richie Knucklez Invitational. Eric Akeson just joined Aurcade as a referee and more arcades will be added in the future as Aurcade sanctioned locations. Those of us CAGers agree that Aurcade is the way to go and Twin Galaxies' classic arcade score keeping is on the way out.

Keep an eye out for Aurcade.com. Aurcade's Arcade Tournament System (ATS) was the official scorekeeper of Funspot 12 and again a few weeks ago at the Richie Knucklez Invitational. Eric Akeson just joined Aurcade as a referee and more arcades will be added in the future as Aurcade sanctioned locations. Those of us CAGers agree that Aurcade is the way to go and Twin Galaxies' classic arcade score keeping is on the way out.

Hum..... I only got the chance to look at this with my druid so far, so its hard to get the idea of this place just right, but I can say this so far. Sites like this upset me through no fault of their own. I get to look at a list of arcades, and ever look at some (if not all) of the games that are in the arcade. The only "classic" arcade game I ever find it the Galaga/Ms PacMan unit. Does no one have a real arcade? Are they all DDR and Driving games only now?

There is one place around me that has a few games. Street Fighter 3, MvC2, a 60 in 1 unit and other stuff that is imported and modern. So I have a 60 in 1 unit to play. Not bad, as I do like to play in an arcade of sorts, but not right. I would love to play Berzerk, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Centipede, or Robotron on a real machine again before I die. I have these on my MAME machine, but there is something about the real deal that can't be emulated at all.

Guess I'll have to get my money right and travel across country to play a real machine, or maybe travel across country to buy one if I can find one done right.... wonder what the wife would say?