IGNORED

SC1224 on 8-bit IN COLOR!

puppetmark

So, I got mine from puppetmark the other day, (Thank you thank you!), got my SC1224 out of storage, and I'll be dipped if I can't tell what company actually manufactured the thing. Oh well. Anyway, I've tried this with a pair of 800XLs, and just got b/w. Bummer. I'm going to dig up one of my XE's and try that next :)

puppetmark, since I've got a stock 130XE and a 65XE with Svideo mod, how easy would it be to add an svideo port to the back, run the wires, and some kind of switch on the back to go between svideo/RGB? Just a simple SPST switch between signal wires?

So, I got mine from puppetmark the other day, (Thank you thank you!), got my SC1224 out of storage, and I'll be dipped if I can't tell what company actually manufactured the thing. Oh well. Anyway, I've tried this with a pair of 800XLs, and just got b/w. Bummer. I'm going to dig up one of my XE's and try that next :)

puppetmark, since I've got a stock 130XE and a 65XE with Svideo mod, how easy would it be to add an svideo port to the back, run the wires, and some kind of switch on the back to go between svideo/RGB? Just a simple SPST switch between signal wires?

Stock 800XLs do not have the chroma line hooked up to the monitor jack so that's why you have black and white with that machine. I have the board configured for chrom / luma input because it yields a much better picture. Anyway, adding the chroma line is actually quite easy, jut one wire and a resistor.

Adding a s-video port to the back of the interface is posssible. In fact, I did that for someone else instead of having the 5 pin DIN cable as the input. I am not sure why you would need a switch because RGB is the output, regardless of which kind of input you are using. In other words, the input to the interface IS s-video, I am just taking the signals from the 5 pin video jack in the Atari computer. I am also taking the audio signal and just sending it to the audio input on the SC1224 in n order to use the built in speaker.

I can make you a short cable that will plug onto the end of the existing 5 pin DIN cable and that will give you a standard s-video and audio input.

Stock 800XLs do not have the chroma line hooked up to the monitor jack so that's why you have black and white with that machine. I have the board configured for chrom / luma input because it yields a much better picture. Anyway, adding the chroma line is actually quite easy, jut one wire and a resistor.

Adding a s-video port to the back of the interface is posssible. In fact, I did that for someone else instead of having the 5 pin DIN cable as the input. I am not sure why you would need a switch because RGB is the output, regardless of which kind of input you are using. In other words, the input to the interface IS s-video, I am just taking the signals from the 5 pin video jack in the Atari computer. I am also taking the audio signal and just sending it to the audio input on the SC1224 in n order to use the built in speaker.

I can make you a short cable that will plug onto the end of the existing 5 pin DIN cable and that will give you a standard s-video and audio input.

Oooooh, that would be cool! I'll take you up on that! I'm having fun with this :)

Are any of these boxes still available? I would be intersted in purchasing one, I am going to be adding the VBXE2 and I purchased KJMANNS svideo board, I dont know if the two will work together or not. If they are still available would like one to go from svideo to Atari 1224 monitor.

Best regards

Venom4728a

Sure, I can put a few more of these together. However, till I get the boards and other parts, it will probably be pretty close to Christmas, so I might not get to the actual building until after the holidays but I will do the best I can. The cost is right around $130.00 plus shipping and that will include a power adapter and cable. The price can vary a bit depending on the amount of RGB boards I need and combined shipping. Any savings I get I will pass along. PM me if interested and let me know what kind of input connection you want. The interface pictured in the thread has a 5 pin DIN cable that plugs into the Atari video port but I can also mount a s-video and RCA jack on the back of the box for more versatility. The output is a 8 pin DIN connector and I will include a 8 pin male to 13 pin DIN female cable that will plug onto the end of the existing 13 pin SC1224 cable. FYI: The reason I did not use a 13 pin female panel mount DIN jack on the back of the interface is because they are crazy expensive, and that's even if you can find them. Also, its easier this way to build different output cables for other RGB monitors.

I meant to ask you, that's wire and resistor on the XL's motherboard, right? It's been a while since I've thought about this :)

I meant to ask you, that's wire and resistor on the XL's motherboard, right? It's been a while since I've thought about this :)

yes, thats correct. Probably the simplest mod to do to an XL with huge benefits

yep, flip the motherboard over so you are working on the bottom and take a resistor, something around 100 ohm, and solder it to pin 5 of the monitor jack and then take a piece of wire and solder one end to the resistor and the other end to where the bottom ofR66 is located. It is probably easier to locate the solder points from the top side of the motherboard where you can see the components. The chroma connection(R66) is the resistor directly above Q5. Make sure you solder to where the bottom of the resistor is; the end closest to the Q5.

Edited by puppetmark

Sure, I can put a few more of these together. However, till I get the boards and other parts, it will probably be pretty close to Christmas, so I might not get to the actual building until after the holidays but I will do the best I can. The cost is right around $130.00 plus shipping and that will include a power adapter and cable. The price can vary a bit depending on the amount of RGB boards I need and combined shipping. Any savings I get I will pass along. PM me if interested and let me know what kind of input connection you want. The interface pictured in the thread has a 5 pin DIN cable that plugs into the Atari video port but I can also mount a s-video and RCA jack on the back of the box for more versatility. The output is a 8 pin DIN connector and I will include a 8 pin male to 13 pin DIN female cable that will plug onto the end of the existing 13 pin SC1224 cable. FYI: The reason I did not use a 13 pin female panel mount DIN jack on the back of the interface is because they are crazy expensive, and that's even if you can find them. Also, its easier this way to build different output cables for other RGB monitors.

Let me know when you have the time and where to send the money.

Robert Miller

• 7 months later...

I have one more left!

It has an S-video and audio input. It comes with a brand new 9V power adapter and a cable so it can be used with any SC1224 monitor. It does require an adjustment to the vertical hold and maybe vertical height on your SC12224. This is a very different adjustment than the ST uses, so if you are going to use your SC1224 monitor with bothsystems, you will have to readjust as needed. A small flat blade screwdriver will do the trick, and also a mirror in front of the monitor makes the job a little more comfortable than trying to turn the screwdriver and getting into a position to see the screen.

There are a few versions of the SC1224 and I only own one type (made by JVC and the most common) , so I can't tell you for sure exactly what your adjustments will be.

The cost is $130.00 and that includes shipping to anywhere in the continental US. PM me If interested.

post-9166-0-98568600-1311350453_thumb.jpg post-9166-0-39401000-1311350466_thumb.jpg post-9166-0-09285200-1311350484_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

I have one more left!

It has an S-video and audio input. It comes with a brand new 9V power adapter and a cable so it can be used with any SC1224 monitor. It does require an adjustment to the vertical hold and maybe vertical height on your SC12224. This is a very different adjustment than the ST uses, so if you are going to use your SC1224 monitor with bothsystems, you will have to readjust as needed. A small flat blade screwdriver will do the trick, and also a mirror in front of the monitor makes the job a little more comfortable than trying to turn the screwdriver and getting into a position to see the screen.

There are a few versions of the SC1224 and I only own one type (made by JVC and the most common) , so I can't tell you for sure exactly what your adjustments will be.

The cost is $130.00 and that includes shipping to anywhere in the continental US. PM me If interested.

attachicon.gifDSCF1589.JPG attachicon.gifDSCF1593.JPG attachicon.gifDSCF1594.JPG

This looks super interesting. I'd take one if you have an extra.

• 7 months later...

Any updates on this thread? I pulled my SC1224 out of the attic today and it still works fine. I'd love to use it with my 8-bits. Even though I have a couple of ST machines I never really got into them so much.

The SC1224 monitor looks so cool and would be great if I could hook up an XE or XL to it ! :)

Any updates on this thread? I pulled my SC1224 out of the attic today and it still works fine. I'd love to use it with my 8-bits. Even though I have a couple of ST machines I never really got into them so much.

The SC1224 monitor looks so cool and would be great if I could hook up an XE or XL to it ! :)

This is a more modern solution using the Sophia GTIA-RGB board: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258702-new-development-gtia-in-cpld/page-29?do=findComment&comment=3813292

This worked fine for the JVC version SC1224 Monitor but not for the Goldstar one, which may possibly require separate V and H sync. I'll be running some tests on this sometime this coming month to see what can be done. However other than the Goldstar one being finicky about locking vertical to the CSYNC signal, it does look good. Going to try a simple RC low-pass filter to see if the HSYNC pulses are interfering with the vertical lock.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is a more modern solution using the Sophia GTIA-RGB board: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258702-new-development-gtia-in-cpld/page-29?do=findComment&comment=3813292

This worked fine for the JVC version SC1224 Monitor but not for the Goldstar one, which may possibly require separate V and H sync. I'll be running some tests on this sometime this coming month to see what can be done. However other than the Goldstar one being finicky about locking vertical to the CSYNC signal, it does look good. Going to try a simple RC low-pass filter to see if the HSYNC pulses are interfering with the vertical lock.

The SC1224 that I have says "VERSION 2" and "Made in Japan" in July 1985.

Is there a way to tell if it is JVC without opening it up?

Here's a picture of the label on back if that can help identify the type.

post-38281-0-53569900-1512951635_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

-Eric

The SC1224 that I have says "VERSION 2" and "Made in Japan" in July 1985.

Is there a way to tell if it is JVC without opening it up?

To see all three versions (JVC, Goldstar, Samsung) check out this link: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268264-atari-sc1224-jvc-v2-stereo-conversion/?do=findComment&comment=3820616

- Michael

• Like 1