IGNORED

Interest Check - A Northeastern US Classic Gaming Convention

Cliff Friedel

Hi all. I have been thinking about possibly putting together a classic gaming/pinball convention for the northeastern US and wanted to see what everyone thought. If I did, it would either be in Pittsburgh, PA or nearby. There are several reasons for this. The first is it is in between NYC and Chicago. The second is there is a lot of convention space in and around the city. The third is I know a lot of people interested in being vendors/sponsors from that area. Finally, it is relatively close to my house.

With that in mind, if I could get the interest, I would like to get things going by late spring/early summer 2011. Would you guys be interested in this? Please let me know. I am not sure about details or even if this will happen. I just want to see who would be interested and what I could expect as far as attendance/vendors/auction participants. Thanks.

Cliff

Ok, I have been thinking about this a lot. Because the first one is going to be the first time I have done something like this, I was thinking maybe start small and manageable. I also want it to be local to where I live so that I can grab things, bring consoles, etc. so we have things for tournaments, casual gaming, etc. It also helps that a lot of vendors that I talked to live in the area I do. With that in mind, I am thinking it will be in Dubois or Clearfield (both are towards the middle of the state right off of I-80). I imagine it will be a one day event for the first year with something like a mixer or a band at night. I am thinking it would be in a high school gym/large conference room for the day. Night depends on what is going on. I am thinking these would be the events/displays for the day (these could obviously change):

Vendor Exhibits/Expo Floor

Video Game/Pinball Free Play or Quarter floor (this depends on where the games come from)

Classic Gaming Consoles for play/tournaments

An Auction (Video Game/Collectibles/Etc.)

A Swap Meet Area/HAMFest outside of the Expo Floor

A LAN Party setup (may need help getting enough machines. I have the network gear)

Maybe some conferences on various things like Batari Basic programming, hints for games, collecting for consoles, etc.

The good news about Clearfield/Dubois is there is a decent amount of hotel space for being a little town since it is on I-80. The bad news is there isn't a lot of stuff to do unless you like outdoor things, so that may limit people who are thinking of staying the weekend for the area. I plan to check into prices for things like the convention floor space, electricity, internet, T-shirts, drinks, food, etc. and see what I can get. I have one person who may be able to market the convention/show and get a good deal of vendors, so that will help defray a lot of the costs (I hope). With that said, I want to keep the prices for entry as low as possible as this is the first show and I don't want to scare people off with too high a price. I am thinking $10 or under is the goal with slight costs ($2-$5) for tourneys and stuff so that we can give out prizes (ie: 50/50 setup or maybe gear). So, what do you guys think? Please let me know, good or bad. Also, if you guys have ideas, please post them. Like I said, this would be the first convention I have run, so I am open to all kinds of ideas and suggestions, especially if it can keep me from screwing it up. I want this to be something we can have yearly and something that will inspire a new generation of gamers and collectors. If nothing else, it gives us an excuse to get together, play games, and maybe drink beer =).

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, another update. Momentum is growing and there is a lot of local support welling at the mention of having the convention. I think I have found a place that is large enough (maybe even a little too large) at an affordable rate. It is looking like the convention will go in June, 2011. I will keep you guys up to date as I get more info, but it looks like it is going to happen. If you guys are interested as attendees, volunteers, vendors, or anything else, keep an eye on this thread and I will keep it updated.

Cliff

Another Update: As of today, we are setting the convention date at June 11, 2011. It will (hopefully - still need approval by the school board) be at the Dubois Area High School Gymnasium. It is quite large and should be able to handle a large crowd. If it ends up being too big, we can use the auxilliary gym, which is smaller. The focus will be gaming (both retro and modern) and collectibles (video game themed, comics, etc). Still haven't thought of a name (Any ideas?). It will be a 1 day event for now unless we see enough interest before the event to warrant a second day. The main goal this year is to get everything organized, build something sustainable, and to have a lot of fun doing it. Let me know what you guys think.

Cliff

Ok, I think I have come up with a name for the convention. Let me know what you think:

Dubois Collectibles and Gaming Expo (either DCGE or DCAGE)

I thought about the Central PA Collectibles and Gaming Expo, but the acronym (CPACAGE) sounds like something you would use to trap accountants. Maybe the PA Collectibles and Gaming Expo (PACAGE), sounds like package. Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Going to settle in the next day or so.

Cliff

Edited by Cliff Friedel

Ok, I think I have come up with a name for the convention. Let me know what you think:

Dubois Collectibles and Gaming Expo (either DCGE or DCAGE)

I thought about the Central PA Collectibles and Gaming Expo, but the acronym (CPACAGE) sounds like something you would use to trap accountants. Maybe the PA Collectibles and Gaming Expo (PACAGE), sounds like package. Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Going to settle in the next day or so.

Cliff

Went with Dubois Collectables and Gaming Expo (DCAGE). The website will be dcage.net and will hopefully be up soon. Facebook group will follow soon also. Stay tuned for more info. Thanks for all the support so far.

Here is the facebook group for anyone who is interested. I will be making posts there as well as occasional ones here. Here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/DuBois-Collectables-and-Gaming-Expo-DCAGE/155498651150947?v=wall

New logo is up on the site also. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Cliff

Here is the facebook group for anyone who is interested. I will be making posts there as well as occasional ones here. Here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/DuBois-Collectables-and-Gaming-Expo-DCAGE/155498651150947?v=wall

Cliff

Cliff

Thanks. I took out the circle and it is a little more readable now. Let me know if you like this one or the last one better. Appreciate it. Think it will look nice on the front or back of a black T-shirt.

Cliff

Looks like there is some trouble with the Dubois HS Gym. Because it is a school, you cannot have for profit events in the facility. They told me it may not be a definite no, but I am looking for other places just the same. Do not want a surprise when things get close.

Other than that, I have been looking around for sponsors and the like. Had some interest in tables and stuff for the vendors, but I don't want to move ahead until there is a definite place and time (and I have the website fixed).

Thanks to all the people who have supporting this on AA and other places. I will continue to post as new things come up.

Cliff