IGNORED

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit

Cobra Kai

It's totally Burnout does NFS Hot Pursuit. The cars control the exact same way. My driving techniques from Burnout transfer perfectly. When you take out another car it even shows "Takedown" just like in Burnout.

From what I've seen so far this would probably be a lot more fun online than singleplayer.

It's totally Burnout does NFS Hot Pursuit. The cars control the exact same way. My driving techniques from Burnout transfer perfectly. When you take out another care it even shows "Takedown" just like in Burnout.

Ugh.

I've played Burnout and enjoyed it. I do not however want it in my NFS Hot Pursuit. Sale lost. :(

• Like 1

Played a few hours of online. I had a blast. Basically, you can do 1 on 1 cop vs racer, or up to 4 on 4. You can also do a straight race with no cops. The 4 vs 4 Hot Pursuit mode is very fun though. The cops have a definite edge in 'weaponry', with EMP, Spike Strips, a Chopper that lays spike strips, and road blocks. However, the Racers aren't defenseless, they also have EMP, spike strips, and a Jammer to block police EMPs. The Racer weapons are extremely limited, with basically a single use for each device, while the cops have multiple road blocks and strips at their disposal.

You can turn off the lights of your police interceptor, which helps sneak up on racers, but I've noticed your fellow police will try and wipe you out sometimes when your lights are off, I guess it's difficult for some to distinguish without the lights since the police and the racers both have high performance sports and exotic cars to drive. All in all I had a blast so far, the action online is quite intense, as there's always traffic to dodge and someone to crash.

I do not like the complete absence of car customization. I could waste hours on Most Wanted's 'garage' mode, painting rims and tuning my cars. I know traditionally in the beginning, customization was not a part of the NFS series, so in a way, Hot Pursuit is more true to the roots of the series, but is a highly missed part of this game. Yes, this game has nearly 100 different vehicles I think, but let me have 50 vehicles that I can customize, I would have been much happier.

I'm not getting into the debate of NFS = Burnout. I've never played a Burnout game so I'm just playing NFSHP on its own merits. It's just a fast paced arcade style racer, with well implemented online competetive modes of play, and lacks customization. The Autolog feature is useful. The point of the single player game is to increase your bounty. The more bounty you acquire, the more cars you unlock, its that simple. Autolog tells you who among your friends is doing better than you in any event. When you beat your friends, you get increased bounty, so using autolog helps you increase your bounty faster, which equals faster unlocking of vehicles. So the more friends you have with NFS, the quicker you can get to the good stuff.

I have a question / seek advice from all the folks comparing this to Burnout.

I have never played a full Burnout game because until my PS3 came along I didn't have a console able to play it (grumble grumble Criterion grumble grumble "Wii can't handle it" end quote grumble grumble) but now that I do, I really want something similar to Burnout Revenge. I have played a bit of that on my brother's original XBox and I like it.

I rented Burnout Paradise, expecting it to be current gen Burnout game but I was very disappointed to discover it's an open world experience where I need to drive around Paradise City to discover things and unlock better cars, and the races themselves seem less smash-into-the-other-guy and more regular street racing.

Then I tried the demo for NFS Hot Pursuit and it seems a heck of a lot more Burnout Revenge-ish. So, for me this is a good thing. I am considering getting Hot Pursuit for this reason but I would like to ask those who like the Burnout comparison and those who dislike it to tell me, if I want a Burnout Revenge experience, is this close?

You can drive around on your own but that has nothing to do with your career. It's not an open world game. You can pick different races to do depending on your mood. If you feel like being a racer you can do that. If you want to be the cop you can do that. There are also time trials and one on one races. It's definitely more like Revenge than Paradise but it's still not going to have as many game modes as Revenge did. You either race or try to stop the racers as a cop.

I wish they'd re-do the ORIGINAL Need for Speed, in hi-def graphics. I suppose the kids (who really buy all the games) would just yawn and it would flop, because it's not gimmicked-out enough to keep their little attention-deficit-ass attention. But man, I'd buy it.

Amen! I stopped buying the NFS games when they decided that putting Hondas in them was a good idea. I want a way to drive exotic cars I'll never own, not the same old crap cars I see on my daily commute. I'm glad to see the Hot Pursuit line come back and hopefully they will stick with it for a while. The fact that Criterion did the game is just icing on the cake!

Not only is this a not-so-cleverly disguised Burnout game (heck, the first achievement I earned was named "Burnout"), this is pretty much Burnout 3: Takedown remixed for the NfS series.

And you know what? That's okay by me.

As good as Burnout Paradise is, Burnout 3 remains the pinnacle of the series, just because of how plain fun it was. B3 was arcade racing anarchy at its absolute, comedic, violent best. While later entries in the Burnout series had their highlights, they just never got the adrenaline flowing like B3 could.

So take B3, add cops, swap "Road Rages" for police "Hot Pursuits," replace the fictional cars with their real-life counterparts, make the driving and handling slightly more real, and throw in optional free-range driving not unlike Burnout Paradise. Then give the whole thing a next-generation, high definition polish. Bam, you have the new Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. True, the "Crash Junctions" and exploding tanker trucks sadly remain missing, but the road blocks, portable spike strips (for the cops and the racers!) and the beautiful scenery that is Seacrest County will more than satisfy any lingering yearning for Burnout.

For those hoping for a more NfS-y Need for Speed, the next entry is already in the works. There's even a trailer for it on the NfS:HP disc.

Then I tried the demo for NFS Hot Pursuit and it seems a heck of a lot more Burnout Revenge-ish. So, for me this is a good thing. I am considering getting Hot Pursuit for this reason but I would like to ask those who like the Burnout comparison and those who dislike it to tell me, if I want a Burnout Revenge experience, is this close?

Burnout 3 was so much better than Burnout Revenge. I think you'll like Hot Pursuit even better than BR, but of course that's just my opinion.

Edited by FujiSkunk

I don't think I ever played burnout, but if this game plays like that, then it's more a case of burnout playing like NFS than the other way around IMO.

This seems like all the other NFS HP games to me (from the two demo tracks) and hey, that's just fine with me. Maybe I sould pick up a burnout game, there's what, three of those now right?

Some swear to the older Burnouts and I agree (B3 was amazing at the time) but I really liked and enjoyed the open world of Paradise. It was nice for a change with lots to do and with modern graphics it was to look at.

After playing the full game a bit, I'd say it's not as much like NFS as I had thought from the demo(two tracks' doesn't really give you feel for the game) The biggest things missing for me, are the circuits (no simple racing) and the splitscreen, or lack of it. Other wise the game is pretty cool, I pretty much suck at it, I've gotten all the first level tracks it will let me unlock for both the cop and racer and....nothing. Is there something special you are supposed to do in order to unlock more tracks? I mean, I've played around a bit and got medals on everything I could get them on, but I still can't seem to unlock anything else.

One thing that sucked, when you first start, it want's to log in to live, blah blah blah, I was like "Ok"and it started loading a goddamned commercial. Uh...No thanks. I turned it off and the second time I load it I declined the online shit and haven't run into any problems since.

Some swear to the older Burnouts and I agree (B3 was amazing at the time) but I really liked and enjoyed the open world of Paradise. It was nice for a change with lots to do and with modern graphics it was to look at.

Paradise is the only one I've looked at for more then 10 minutes over the years, and I've had quite a lot of fun playing it on my heavy duty PC on a big HD screen (it looks really beautiful)

Is there something special you are supposed to do in order to unlock more tracks? I mean, I've played around a bit and got medals on everything I could get them on, but I still can't seem to unlock anything else.

Maybe a stupid question, but, each event location has multiple events, so make sure you aren't missing new events at locations you've already played at before.

One thing that sucked, when you first start, it want's to log in to live, blah blah blah, I was like "Ok"and it started loading a goddamned commercial. Uh...No thanks. I turned it off and the second time I load it I declined the online shit and haven't run into any problems since.

The commercial is for the next Need for Speed entry, coming out next year, so it's not completely irrelevant. I also don't remember seeing the trailer the second time I played the game (signed into Live both times), so that may just be a one-time thing.

Paradise is the only one I've looked at for more then 10 minutes over the years, and I've had quite a lot of fun playing it on my heavy duty PC on a big HD screen (it looks really beautiful)

You may still like the new NfS then. The graphics are just as beautiful as they were in Burnout Paradise, maybe even more so. It's pretty much all rural driving, and the scenery reminds me a lot of the open terrain in California and Arizona. They also did an excellent job with the reflections off of wet roads, and with the police sirens lighting everything up. There is also an option for free range driving, so if all you want to do is pick your favorite car and go exploring, you can. I'd recommend at least giving it a rental.

Edited by FujiSkunk

The roads really do look awesome when it's raining.

Yeah, I was meaning like an extra event in an area I already played, but they all seem to be locked still. Maybe I need more points or something, I only just got to level 2 as a racer....the cop is taking longer to level up, but I'm unlocking the cars faster. Right now, I'm just playing though the parts I sucked at the first time, and trying out some of the new cars. The crown victoria may not be pretty, but I like it the most still I think (though some of the others drive better, the crown vic seems to do more damage to racers)

I don't think I ever played burnout, but if this game plays like that, then it's more a case of burnout playing like NFS than the other way around IMO.

No, it's definitely Burnout that is 'NFS Hot Pursuit themed'. Bah. :(

Awesome!!!! I just got my "Criterion Elite" License

in Burnout Paradise tonight, so I'm ready for a new arcade racer!

-rick

I ready don't understand how anyone can't love the burnout games?>

No, it's definitely Burnout that is 'NFS Hot Pursuit themed'. Bah. :(

Awesome!!!! I just got my "Criterion Elite" License

in Burnout Paradise tonight, so I'm ready for a new arcade racer!

-rick

I ready don't understand how anyone can't love the burnout games?>

the only thing i ever liked in burnout was crash mode. other then that the game sucked. i liked flatout a hell of a lot better. test drive eve of destruction was a heck of a lot better then burnout.

Edited by madmax2069

I freaking love the online multiplayer. The 4 vs 4 Hot Pursuit mode is extremely addictive, and I'm unlocking cars at a rate faster than I can use them. Every time I switch classes, there are more new cars for me to try. There must be 100 cars in this game. I also like how all your stats and unlockables count to your overall total no matter which mode your playing, whether its multiplayer or single player career.

I'm happy that your stats (bounty) always increase, they never go down. Even if you lose a match, you still earn some bounty, so I'm not seeing a whole lot of players dropping out of matches because they are losing. Everybody just has fun and ranks up as long as you just play. I haven't played a game as many hours and as intensely since my favorite game of all time, Bioshock. :thumbsup:

the only thing i ever liked in burnout was crash mode. other then that the game sucked. i liked flatout a hell of a lot better. test drive eve of destruction was a heck of a lot better then burnout.

Both of those are definitely awesome games. MGI, the guys who made Test Drive: Eve of Destruction have never made a bad game. I'd like to see what they have up their sleeves next. Hopefully it's not another Wii exclusive like Excite Truck or ExciteBots.

I suppose what I didn't like about the Burnout games is that - despite some interesting crash models - it just seemed like kiddie fantasy racing. I prefer the Forza/Gran Turismo style, where there's some emphasis on simulating real driving. While the Need For Speed series has always been "more arcade style" than GT/Forza, it used to be a little closer (on the gradient from total sim to total arcade) to sim than it has in recent years.

I can't get any more excited about Burnout than I can another Ridge Racer game, but I thought Ridge Racer was cool for its time (PS1 launch).

There's no right and wrong in issue of such subjectivity, but there's an answer for someone who questions how somebody else could not like Burnout. If I want fantasy racing, I prefer a Kart game.

Both of those are definitely awesome games. MGI, the guys who made Test Drive: Eve of Destruction have never made a bad game. I'd like to see what they have up their sleeves next. Hopefully it's not another Wii exclusive like Excite Truck or ExciteBots.

You do not know how bad i want a test drive eve of destruction II on the new systems with online play, now that would rock. i wonder why they have not done it yet. i play that game to this day, mainly in split screen with my friends. I haven't played flatout II much because my xbox HDD died, and the 360 isn't compatible with it, I no longer own the first flatout due to someone stealing it, but i would guess that it to would not play on the 360.

I suppose what I didn't like about the Burnout games is that - despite some interesting crash models - it just seemed like kiddie fantasy racing. I prefer the Forza/Gran Turismo style, where there's some emphasis on simulating real driving. While the Need For Speed series has always been "more arcade style" than GT/Forza, it used to be a little closer (on the gradient from total sim to total arcade) to sim than it has in recent years.

I can't get any more excited about Burnout than I can another Ridge Racer game, but I thought Ridge Racer was cool for its time (PS1 launch).

There's no right and wrong in issue of such subjectivity, but there's an answer for someone who questions how somebody else could not like Burnout. If I want fantasy racing, I prefer a Kart game.

I guess even if its old PGR4 fills the gap for arcade racing (its always been a great series so far) but it has some sim elements in it as well so i guess you can call it borderline sim/arcade but more on the arcade, it use to be NFS as well before this game.

Edited by madmax2069