IGNORED

"Night of the Living Dead"Feature Film on 3 Jaguar CDs

ovalbugmann

Is this legal?

You could have at least done a little bit of leg work for yourself to find out if it was or not (might have taken around 2 minutes) instead of asking is it legal. to me its a tad bit rude and insulting toward the OP for posting something like this in a forum that is against piracy. The OP has been here long enough and has enough posts to know better then to post something illegal.

I only hope that you understand this now. and all of this could have been avoided.

Please refer back to post #25 for clarification this was already understood and acknowledged prior to you having now posted.

• Like 1

Hello Matthias! - Thank you for the congratulatory post, it's much appreciated, more-so even because you are so highly regarded by many people in the Jaguar arena.

Also, I forgot to thank you(in post #1) for helping me to encrypt these cds via the information on your JaguarCD webpages, I used your trk_2b.raw(the dummy placeholder track), as well as padcd and other things in your downloadable zip file for encryption along with your nice, easy to understand cd layouts and descriptions. :thumbsup: Cool stuff there! ;)

About the sound and speech delays in some past Cinepak endeavors by people in the community, yes I have noticed it before, but I have not encountered it in my video work. I mainly have problems with freezing and white noise and corruption - of which there is none of that in this release, I believe. :) There is no sound delay here on these discs or none that I can notice? - sound and picture ARE aligned it seems to me. :) I am using JagCinePak 1.51 - the latest. And also my sound settings in QT are 21.867kHz Sample Rate(as specifically recommended by Glenn Bruner), 16-Bit, 2-channel, Stereo sound, uncompressed. I do process my video a little differently whereas I don't use .MOVs as Scott says to do, I use QT Cinepak encoded AVI containers and drop those on the JagCinepak window - as I use a PC not the original Mac tool as you do also, I think.

I use video settings of: Compression: Cinepak, Depth: Millions of Colours, Quality: Best, Frame Rate: 24FPS, Key Frame: 120(5x24=120 (Key Frame every 120 frames)). Book says there should be a key frame at least every 5 seconds. And my data rate is set at: 145 kbps(b=bytes not bits, in this case) However, because I use a high quality source when available, this is always overshot by the compressor and I end up with 300-350kbps data rates with a QT export.

Only thing I can think of is the way I process the video is not causing audio out-of-sync problems. On JagCinePak.exe I use: "Skip conversion of RAW to two's compliment format, I use "square root" 16-Bit sound compression, and 75/100 Audio chunk size. Also, I convert my video beforehand with the specialized 3iVX codec(a DIVX derivitive) using MS-ADPCM for the audio codec not mp3's or regular .WAVs or PCM. In this step I also, give the audio a 6db boost because "square root " compression is lossy, the db increase is to compensate for this.

Please let me know if I can be of any help to you with fixing this Cinepak sound delay problem you are encountering. You've done so much for the Jaguar, I would love to be able to help you out for a change. :)

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 1

Is this legal?

You could have at least done a little bit of leg work for yourself to find out if it was or not (might have taken around 2 minutes) instead of asking is it legal. to me its a tad bit rude and insulting toward the OP for posting something like this in a forum that is against piracy. The OP has been here long enough and has enough posts to know better then to post something illegal.

I only hope that you understand this now. and all of this could have been avoided.

Please refer back to post #25 for clarification this was already understood and acknowledged prior to you having now posted.

i can still comment about your initial post. the main reason is because i somehow overlooked the post you realized you was in the wrong. post 25 is my post, do you mean post 16 ?

Edited by madmax2069
  • Like 1

DCRip: What really irked me about your first post here, was that you did not even acknowledge this release positively at all, you just said "is this legal?" -you only thought to concentrate negatively on it's legality and if I was breaking the law, as your primary concern and not the release itself being cool, just ok, or even saying something like; no it's not needed have you heard of DVDs before?(lol)

I agree with what madmax has wrote here -thanks. :) Just before saying something negative, as in constructive critizism - people like to be praised a little first to soften the blow. Say something like: "Hey that's cool, thanks! - the Jaguar's first full length feature film, I love horror. But I don't want to get in trouble with my IP, is this safe for me to download?" See -Now that you've explained yourself, and even complimented me how could I get mad? :)

But I think the over-zealous copyright and piracy concerns are something the Jaguar community needs to move away from. We all know to respect all current Jaguar game developers' IP property, and we really shouldn't be having to question everything that comes out like a "Jaguar Legality Crusader" - especially some b/w movie from 1968.

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 3

Is this legal?

but anyway back on topic. congrats on the release. are you going to think about releasing any more P.D. movies, although there is quite a few out there but only a select few are any good, you nailed one of the good ones.

Thanks Much! for your posts madmax and Remowilliams too. :thumbsup: I appreciate it and agree with you both. Each of you seem to know just how I feel about this and how I see this incident.

congrats on the release. are you going to think about releasing any more P.D. movies, although there is quite a few out there but only a select few are any good, you nailed one of the good ones.

Sure!, if I don't eat too much shit! lol yes, I will do another Jaguar feature movie, show, video or cartoon. I am going to stay in the public domain, so I don't have to fight with people, but I was considering Nosferatau or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, or that early Hitchcock film or some cool cartoons. Now that I can encrypt all my video cds for the Jag, I really think that goes a long way to making it seem professional. All I need to do is make a DVD insert for a 3-DVD case!

If you or anyone has any suggestions for the next feature, let me know. :) May have to do a poll or you can if you want to.

Also, if thund3r or anyone wants to torrent this release to make it more convienient - go ahead. If you could post the place where the torrent is so people here can find it that would be great for when/if mediafire.com deletes my files in the future.

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 3

Great release ovalbugman! Downloaded it yesterday and will give it a try today.

i suggest using megaupload.com for hosting. its much more comfortable, one file can be up to 1GB there.

As next feature I'd love to see Metropolis from 1927 by Fritz Lang. This movie is so epic in all ways and it's a true masterpiece of classic movies! :)

Even the offical movie poster was pure art!

metropolis.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations on this release! It's really great work, ovalbugmann! :)

I know how much patience and work it can take to create a decent Jaguar Cinepak Disc and sadly people tend to underestimate the effort. I'm glad you take the time to figure out the best settings and keep supporting the format.

Keep up the good work. :)

• Like 1

Is this legal?

i can still comment about your initial post. the main reason is because i somehow overlooked the post you realized you was in the wrong. post 25 is my post, do you mean post 16 ?

My mistake - it was indeed post #16 I was referring to. *blushing*

As for you now commenting, " realized was in the wrong", well I don't believe I ever said I was. I acknowledged in post #16 that I perhaps ought to have done the aforementioned research before making that initial post. However, the question asked in said initial post was a straightforward query and I'm glad that at least one other member here, thund3er, understood it that way too.

I'm questioning your primary motive here, madmax2069. Your insistence on prolonging this discussion point (a point that had already been concluded) invites the suspicion that you're possibly more interested in causing unnecessary drama than in discussing ovalbugmann's fine achievement.

DCRip: What really irked me about your first post here, was that you did not even acknowledge this release positively at all, you just said "is this legal?" -you only thought to concentrate negatively on it's legality and if I was breaking the law, as your primary concern and not the release itself being cool, just ok, or even saying something like; no it's not needed have you heard of DVDs before?(lol)

Please recall the past incidence of when I was nothing but praiseworthy for one of your past Jaguar CD video releases over at JS-II. As I recall it I thanked you massively in that thread and even went the extra mile for you in searching out and providing numerous links to WinRAR-type software for both PC and Mac users experiencing difficulties in joining together the RAR files you'd linked. I hope by having referenced that past occurrence you're now a little more convinced my motives in my initial post in this thread were not wholly negative.

I extend to you my sincere thanks and appreciation for releasing this movie to the community. I'm personally very grateful for it and have already downloaded all three CDs worth of data to soon burn onto CD-Rs for my Jaguar CD. Thank you. :)

Edited by dreamcastrip
  • Like 1

I convert my video beforehand with the specialized 3iVX codec(a DIVX derivitive) using MS-ADPCM for the audio codec not mp3's or regular .WAVs or PCM. In this step I also, give the audio a 6db boost because "square root " compression is lossy, the db increase is to compensate for this.
You shouldn't do that.

Unless the audio is too soft to begin with, or there's a bug in the square-root compressor that I don't know about, adding 6 dB isn't necessary and can even cause the audio to saturate and be distorted. There is no need to use ADPCM either, which is a lossy codec which will degrade the quality ; just use plain uncompressed audio.

The same goes for 3iVX : it's a lossy codec, so it should be avoided when transcoding video. Additionally, compression is CPU-intensive, so it's a time waste. Uncompressed video would be a better choice (but it needs A LOT of disk space).

Of course, the material isn't top quality to begin with and Cinepak is a pretty crude compression scheme, so it probably doesn't make a huge difference, but it's good to know if you want to get the best quality :)

Is this legal?

My mistake - it was indeed post #16 I was referring to. *blushing*

As for you now commenting, " realized was in the wrong", well I don't believe I ever said I was. I acknowledged in post #16 that I perhaps ought to have done the aforementioned research before making that initial post. However, the question asked in said initial post was a straightforward query and I'm glad that at least one other member here, thund3er, understood it that way too.

I'm questioning your primary motive here, madmax2069. Your insistence on prolonging this discussion point (a point that had already been concluded) invites the suspicion that you're possibly more interested in causing unnecessary drama than in discussing ovalbugmann's fine achievement.

You know what, just drop it. like i said in my post i somehow overlooked your post #16 and posted my post #25.

Edited by madmax2069

Thanks Zerosquare for the video editing information. :) Good points there, yes video and audio can degrade a lot if processed with less than optimum settings and codecs, that's why I like to start the highest quality source I can find of the material. I do pay attention to the resulting video and audio quality and have made adjustments in both. What would be great is to use H-264 and FLAC to start with now that would be a good combo!! :)

I know what your saying about saturated audio - that sucks, I checked for that with the 6dB gain and putting in the square root audio processing did reduce the levels enough that the 6dB gain was good and didn't distort. As far as 3iVX - the setting I use is the 100% level setting of "Constant Quality" so that no frames are dropped. This setting is one away from the 3iVX codec's best setting of 150% which they say is "near lossless" so I do get out a good picture of it. We don't have much bandwidth to work, with the Jag's now severe limitations, so it doesn't matter too much. I think 3iVX is still much more modern than Cinepak so we may not see it's limitations(3iVX) that much(idk?).

I started using MS-ADPCM because I noticed the file sizes were a little smaller than PCM. Using uncompressed video and audio is going to be really huge but since the Jag uses Cinepak codec and seems to require PCM audio - that means that much of the Jag video CD track will be audio, I think?, so I tried to cut space with mp3's but it didn't work so I went to MS-ADPCM.

What I'm going to do is look around for a better video compressor to try out and find some alternative to ADPCM, if possible. :)

Please recall the past incidence of when I was nothing but praiseworthy for one of your past Jaguar CD video releases over at JS-II. As I recall it I thanked you massively in that thread and even went the extra mile for you in searching out and providing numerous links to WinRAR-type software for both PC and Mac users experiencing difficulties in joining together the RAR files you'd linked. I hope by having referenced that past occurrence you're now a little more convinced my motives in my initial post in this thread were not wholly negative.

I extend to you my sincere thanks and appreciation for releasing this movie to the community. I'm personally very grateful for it and have already downloaded all three CDs worth of data to soon burn onto CD-Rs for my Jaguar CD. Thank you. :)

Thanks man. :) Ok fair enough -We're all good! :D I do appreciate your support for my JagCD projects I was just in a bad mood yesterday and I guess I just can't stand to talk about piracy and the Jag anymore, it seems to have angered me. lol. Anyways it's my bad! Peace DC man. ;)

• Like 1

I burned and watched this earlier and really enjoyed it. This is the kind of thing that would be really interesting to do an article on for Atari User :cool:

Just a shame you chose to flame and insult me like you did earlier before I even posted. Totaly unwarranted and not needed. There has been far too much of this going round recently.

Edited by The_Laird
  • Like 2

Thanks man. :) Ok fair enough -We're all good! :D I do appreciate your support for my JagCD projects I was just in a bad mood yesterday and I guess I just can't stand to talk about piracy and the Jag anymore, it seems to have angered me. lol. Anyways it's my bad! Peace DC man. ;)

Thank you and all's good :) . Looking forward to whatever other projects you've hopefully got in the pipeline. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great ovalbugman! :)

I no longer have a JagCD sadly but it would be cool to see a clip of this in action put on youtube if anyone has the time and willingness to do so. Do you have anything else like this in the pipeline? Shame I can't experience it first hand. It's nice to see the effort, this seems really cool!

Hello Ovalbugmann!

Hello Matthias! - Thank you for the congratulatory post, it's much appreciated, more-so even because you are so highly regarded by many people in the Jaguar arena.

Also, I forgot to thank you(in post #1) for helping me to encrypt these cds via the information on your JaguarCD webpages, I used your trk_2b.raw(the dummy placeholder track), as well as padcd and other things in your downloadable zip file for encryption along with your nice, easy to understand cd layouts and descriptions. :thumbsup: Cool stuff there! ;)

Hey, i wasn't fishing for compliments ;)

But great to hear that the stuff i have published over the years was helpfull!

About the sound and speech delays in some past Cinepak endeavors by people in the community, yes I have noticed it before, but I have not encountered it in my video work. I mainly have problems with freezing and white noise and corruption - of which there is none of that in this release, I believe. :) There is no sound delay here on these discs or none that I can notice? - sound and picture ARE aligned it seems to me. :) I am using JagCinePak 1.51 - the latest. And also my sound settings in QT are 21.867kHz Sample Rate(as specifically recommended by Glenn Bruner), 16-Bit, 2-channel, Stereo sound, uncompressed. I do process my video a little differently whereas I don't use .MOVs as Scott says to do, I use QT Cinepak encoded AVI containers and drop those on the JagCinepak window - as I use a PC not the original Mac tool as you do also, I think.

I am using a Win98SE-PC, with a registered version of the Apple Quicktime Player (also to add soundeffects to the movies).

I still haven't downloaded your files, so i can't say if there is a delay anywhere.

And "anywhere" is the key for this: i noticed that if a Cinepak-movie shows the delay between audio and video the delay most often isn't there from the very beginning.

And as you have already seen, there so many combinations of audio and video treatment during the processing, it's hard to be sure that a chosen combination works in all cases.

Kind regards

Matthias

Is this legal?

I think people need to realized that forums are ment for Q&A and that if someone has a question no matter how dumb founded it might be for some should not be in the wrong for asking/posting the question. Did this question deserved to be ask? Yes, Considering that it was about the topic and what was being offered. In wisdom the only bad question is one that is not asked and take it with a grain of salt.

On topic I love the Night of the living dead movies!!!!! THANKS FOR THE UPLOADS!!!!!

Edited by skaredmask
  • Like 3

I'm having trouble downloading these. My zip software keeps saying I need other parts to complete the download. I did re-name the first download, I put 'Part1' on the end of the file name. Is this why? I wanted to rename then as all the files (for CD1) seem to have the same file name and I didn't want to overwrite any. Or is that not possible with .cdi files?

Sorry I'm a beginner when it comes to video stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

im_reg: Yeah, if you put "part 1" as the end of the file name on any one of the part files then it won't extract, it has to be .rar on the end. Go ahead and change them all back to the original file names as they are all different names although similar and linked to each other within each of the three sets.

And for people that may be wondering what's next for video on the Jag,.. I haven't decided yet but am thinking about several things including another PD movie(Metropolis? or Phantom of the Opera? or Nosferatu? Reefer Madness ;) -idk), or other older cult favorite movies or a music video CD? or even some modern gaming FMV story clips or previews just to see how it would look on the Jag? :) Maybe some updated SCRAT clips in tribute to TXG/MNX's Jaguar disc with the Scrat/Doom3 videos on it? Possibly even Fard Muhammad's original Atari Jaguar short he made for the 1997 Jagfest fans - if he lets me use it for a free Cinepak disc for everybody. A bootleg concert video of a good band? Some early cartoons/serials like what Gunstar suggested as I think they may be PD along with some others? Was even thinking about a "Jaguar pr0n" disc! :P for adults only, lol, but I don't want you guys thinking I'm a perverted.

There's lots of possibilities as practically any video material can be converted, it's just hard to chose what is good video entertainment and also PD or that the owners will not mind me converting their IP to Cinepak for free downloads to a very small handful of Jag fans that enjoy turning their Jag into a VCR. For instance the Dead movie in this thread got only 19 dls. As soon as I can decide on something I'll get to work on it. :)

im_reg: Yeah, if you put "part 1" as the end of the file name on any one of the part files then it won't extract, it has to be .rar on the end. Go ahead and change them all back to the original file names as they are all different names although similar and linked to each other within each of the three sets.

And for people that may be wondering what's next for video on the Jag,.. I haven't decided yet but am thinking about several things including another PD movie(Metropolis? or Phantom of the Opera? or Nosferatu? Reefer Madness ;) -idk), or other older cult favorite movies or a music video CD? or even some modern gaming FMV story clips or previews just to see how it would look on the Jag? :) Maybe some updated SCRAT clips in tribute to TXG/MNX's Jaguar disc with the Scrat/Doom3 videos on it? Possibly even Fard Muhammad's original Atari Jaguar short he made for the 1997 Jagfest fans - if he lets me use it for a free Cinepak disc for everybody. A bootleg concert video of a good band? Some early cartoons/serials like what Gunstar suggested as I think they may be PD along with some others? Was even thinking about a "Jaguar pr0n" disc! :P for adults only, lol, but I don't want you guys thinking I'm a perverted.

There's lots of possibilities as practically any video material can be converted, it's just hard to chose what is good video entertainment and also PD or that the owners will not mind me converting their IP to Cinepak for free downloads to a very small handful of Jag fans that enjoy turning their Jag into a VCR. For instance the Dead movie in this thread got only 19 dls. As soon as I can decide on something I'll get to work on it. :)

What about converting classic tv programmes/series's (already on dvd) to this jaguar format

Are you thinking of releasing this program as part of a larger jaguar cd/dvd content authoring program (like nero/nti or padus etc etc)

Just a thought thats all