IGNORED

BASIC on CART Contest (BoCC)

Opry99er

Hey Howie... you have a screenshot you could give us? =) I know you may be playing this one close to the vest, but..... all good either way, buddy.

Owen... Screenshots really don't do it much justice, honestly. Graphics are simple - and like the Adam's Aperture, it's a port. I'm pretty thrilled how playable the game is, however (I'm using XB - haven't tried it in basic), and I am just pleased to be raising interest.

I won't, however, wait until the end of the contest to release it... Since I only have mostly level creation (takes 5-15 mins each one), I should be done pretty soon...

I have not, however, checked each level to see if I need to incorporate new game features (I know I have at least one more coming), however, they go in pretty easily.

Since I've been back in the TI Dev world, I find myself lamenting the toolset I have now and wish I could climb into a Tardis with my creations... I could've made tens of dollars!

-Howie

I realized that basic doesn't support composite conditional statements... That sucked to remove.

This will be my last BASIC game EVER!

And - manual line renumbering is oh so much fun...

Yeah, I've had more than a few errors from retyping line numbers in the text editor and accidentally leaving a double in... which naturally Classic99 pasting just overwrites the first. :S

Super Extended BASIC has line number commands like MOVE, COPY, and selective range RES, but it's not available on Classic99. I got the MESS ROM's, wonder how easy it is to add them in...

FOLLOW-UP:

Yep, no problem! The program may not run in Extended BASIC, but I can certainly use the tools to save a little time on line re-numbering.

Adamantyr

Edited by adamantyr

Hi everybody!

Thanks to Opry99 for the initiative on starting a contest. My brother and I are back into the TI-99 world.

We always kept an eye, what's going on online and on emulators. Since this year we are back on real hardware and nanoPEB.

Count us in! Let's program!

kl99

Hi everybody!

Thanks to Opry99 for the initiative on starting a contest. My brother and I are back into the TI-99 world.

We always kept an eye, what's going on online and on emulators. Since this year we are back on real hardware and nanoPEB.

Count us in! Let's program!

kl99

Excellent ! And awesome blog there too ! Your TI-99/4A looks like totally new !?

:thumbsup:

Excellent ! And awesome blog there too ! Your TI-99/4A looks like totally new !?

:thumbsup:

Thanks. It is almost new. I got it at ebay from Great Britain.

I am living in austria (europe). We had a big TI-99 collection, but we gave it all away, when I was 15. :(

Everything expect a magazine, the data tapes and our excercise books with the sprite definitions we did for our game programming.

Got to make some pictures from today's programming session, because we are coding on the real machine.

From start to the end!

Thanks for the feedback on the blog. The blog is still in development and is meant to be a diary of my experiences.

I even want to learn TI9900 assembler and share my knowledge on the blog. It won't be my first assembly language because I used to program the TI-92 in 68k assembler quite successfully. And opposite to the TI-92 the TI-99 has really good inside documentation.

Back to TI-Basic:

I made some speed tests yesterday regarding CALL VCHAR and CALL HCHAR.

If you only want to draw a single char on the screen, use CALL HCHAR, it is faster and do leave out the optional repeat parameter.

Use this:

CALL HCHAR(Y,X,ASCII)

instead of

CALL HCHAR(Y,X,ASCII,1)

CALL VCHAR(Y,X,ASCII)

CALL VCHAR(Y,X,ASCII,1)

It's not much difference, but some gain in performance.

Here's a question...

Does anyone see any value in a multi-player turn-based game in BASIC? In the old days, it was nothing unusual; you kind of played with your siblings and just turned your back while they took their turn. (Well, PRETENDED to, anyway.)

BASIC really only has enough memory for either a 1-player game with an AI, or 2+ real players with no AI. What do we think is "good" for the contest? Stick to 1-player games?

Adamantyr

As someone who's never once played a game of Hordes with anyone else, I would also recommend the one-player option. (Though that just gave me an idea for the next Faire -- we should pick out a few games like that, where two-player option is either mandatory or was never used much, and have some tournaments. Hell, even two-player Blasto could be fun, if no one wants to sit through a game of Hordes with me.) :)

unless we compile the winning game into an EA5 and then do a cartridge conversion, I believe "yes", it will jump to command prompt... I'm thinking more and more that we should compile the winning game, but it's not up to me... this is y'all's contest, so you let me know what you think. =)

Compiled programs are more efficient and fast... of course it might take modification of the BASIC code a few times to get the timing correct in the assembly version. For full-on turn based games, they may compile just fine without modification.

Just posting a snip-it I just made. In my Rogue I have 1 status bar for all info. So when something is on that line and something writes over it I was adding enough spaces to the string to make it 32 long so it would be sure to erase the entire last line. This worked but used extra code space, well it worked until I had a stat bar that can reduce in length and make the last number look like a double number.

Now I thought about how to fix this since basic doesn't have the RPT command in XB. This was my solution.

1 BL$="............................"
2 S$="some short text"
3 S$=S$&SEG$(BL$,1,LEN(BL$)-LEN(S$))
4 PRINT S$

In my code I'm using spaces of course but I wanted something visual to see to test with so we have periods. But you see no matter how short the string is it will buff it out with what is in the BL$ string.

Thought it might be useful to someone.

John