IGNORED

Buy-Rite Games - a good thing, yes or no?

bigferret

I recently purchased a few Jag games from buyritegames.com and after weeks of waiting with no games, decided to drop them an email checking on the status of my order.

Three days later and I still haven't heard back from them one way or the other. Normally I'd write this sort of thing off to the Holiday season and associated sales carnage, etc...But, I had also emailed them a question a month or so ago inquiring about a hardware purchase - and never heard back on that as well.

So my question is - have any of you guys or gals purchased from Buy-Rite and how was your experience? I just think it's odd that they won't answer email requests on a paid order.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I just would like to know what's up with my games! :?

[soapbox]

:x :x

You are not overacting. I (in case the Avatar didn't make it obvious) am one of the two owners of the GOAT Store, LLC http://www.goatstore.com/

If it truly has been weeks since you have sent your payment, you should have had it by now. The GOAT Store's policy is to wait 14 days after receiving a check to send the package. If it is paid for via PayPal or Money Order, we give ourselves 3 days to send it out, and the customer should have it within a week.

Before purchasing anything from anywhere online, make sure that you "check" out their check policy if you plan on sending them a check so that you know about this. Any company worth their salt should make it a point of showing it to you too.

As for email, there is little to no excuse for not responding to email. I'll admit that we have forgot to respond to a few emails, and once or twice not checked our email for a week, but there is no excuse for not writing you back, especially if you are a paid order.

Here is how I would proceed from here... Write them a nasty letter stating that you want to know about your order. Make it clear that you _will not buy from them ever again_ if this your email is not responded to in a timely fashion. Tell them what you feel is a timely fashion (at least three days is my suggestion). Tell them that if you have not heard from them in three days, you will to cancel the check/money order/credit card payment and will report them to the Better Business Bereau.

Then, check your email after your time allotment and go through with your promises of trying to cancel payment and reporting them. Money speaks very loudly to any sensible company, and if they don't have the courtesy to respond to your emails or send you your games, you shouldn't pay them.

[/steps off soapbox.]

Sorry for the little soapbox session there, but the fact that two guys in a basement working part time seem to work hundreds of times better than actual companies really irks me :sad:

Soapboxes are good!

Actually, I used a credit card for the payment, so they have no excuse for the lateness of the shipment. Oh well. I'll give them a bit more time and then do as you suggested....

BTW....I would have ordered from you guys, but you didn't have the games I wanted at the time. Bummer.

But there's always the future.

Isn't it illegal for them to charge your card prior to processing (ie boxing and shipping) your order? I've never dealt with a place that has charged my card prior to shipping (with the exception of special orders which is acceptable.)

Even if it isn't illegal, it is very poor business.

Buy Rite is bad news. I used to be into collecting imported Saturn games. I decided to buy Radiant Silvergun from them. I placed the order and waited about 3 weeks for it. Finally I started emailing them and they would NEVER respond. I finally started calling. I bet I tried atleast 40-50 times. It would always be busy or there would be no answer. Finally I get through and the guy who answers says that I called the retail store and they could not tell me about my mail order purchase. I was really pissed then. I waited a couple of days and started calling again. Finally I got through to a guy who said that they had sold out of Radiant Silvergun weeks earlier and he resolved the issue, but I would never deal with them again. I finally did get my game from McVan's right before they sold out of it.

I would suggest you do a search on Google groups to see what kind of a reputation Buy-rite has... it is pretty bad.

:idea:

Buy-rite rip off results:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=buy-rite...&oe=UTF-8&hl=en

"Buy-rite" results:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&...TF-8&q=buy-rite

Good luck...

I've have only bought from them once.. it was around 96-97 and aside from them charging $25.00 to ship 4 Duo games, the transaction was okay..

One more "Buy-Rite" story:

I tried ordering a Jaguar CD unit from them, but never did get a response to the (numerous) e-mails that I sent. I did, after a number of telephone calls, finally did get to speak to "the phone guy", who informed me that they did not have any units in stock, and that I should "keep trying on a daily basis, as new stock arrives periodically". I then turned my efforts elsewhere. I certainly doubt that they have the full extent of Jaguar / Atari soft- and hardware that they have listed on their web-site.

I've bought a few things from them in the past and did get the items; however, they are not very careful in their packing and shipping. They just slapped some snes carts in a priority box with out any bubble wrap or anything. This was a bigger priority mail box so the carts were slapping around in there like crazy. I'd stay away from them.

They're a bunch of A@@holes!!! I bought something from them, finalyy got it six weeks later. I then returned it to them because it was not what I ordered. The return was sent certified mail October 8. I STILL haven't received what I ordered or a refund. Thanks to them and another company that goes by the name Jerseygames, I've decided not to buy from any retailers not rated on this site.

Isn't it illegal for them to charge your card prior to processing (ie boxing and shipping) your order?  I've never dealt with a place that has charged my card prior to shipping (with the exception of special orders which is acceptable.)

Even if it isn't illegal, it is very poor business.

Actually, it isn't illegal and it isn't poor business. Everywhere you go, your credit card is charged before you actually receive the items. If you go to a store and purchase $10.00 worth of stuff on your credit card, you get the merchandise only after your credit card is verified.

In the same way, if I (the GOAT Store, for instance) wouldn't charge people until after we sent the orders out and they didn't have the funds to cover it, we would be outta luck.

It _is_ bad business practices to not respond to a customer, and if that is the case 99% of credit card companies will help you out after you've explained the situation to them :)

And while it is slightly off topic, I'm very proud of the fact that the GOAT Store has a great reputation :)

I have been in to there stores they are in Raleigh NC and well i can tell you this i wouldnt oder from them. They have lots of stuff but are rude as hell and not helpful at all. Im about a hour and 40mins from Raleigh and have only been to the store one time cuz i dont like buying from assholes! Buyrite dont care about the gamers just the money!

I have been in to there stores they are in Raleigh NC and well i can tell you this i wouldnt oder from them

I've been wondering about this ever since the thread started. I had a close friend who went down to North Carolina on vacation and he game back with a bunch of NES games that had "Buy-Rite" labels on the back along with a working (refurbished or new, I'm not sure) Super Nintendo. He seemed very happy with his purchases, so I was thinking nahhhh.. this can't be the same Buy-Rite. But since you're in Raleigh, I guess it is!

I'm about an hour from Raleigh, NC and have been to Buy Rite three times. The last time I purchased a Jaguar Memory Track ($35.00) and Doom ($15.00), just carts mind you, no boxes or instructions. I thought both prices were a little high since I've seen new Memory Tracks go for the same thing on eBay and elsewhere, but I was already there and didn't want to wait for a mail order. The clerk was helpful and polite but I have been there when the clerks were pretty surly and seemed to rather be playing the games than selling them or helping customers. I will say they have a much better selection for older consoles than Funcoland. But they are a little pricey and customer sevice is kind of hit-or-miss. I'd check with them only if other, more reputable (and less expensive) stores were out of stock.

I did order some games thru them. Order went perfect. They even included one of these:

http://www.buyritegames.com/product_inform...=1093&last=1013

They usually have good deals. You just have to keep your eyes peeled. :D

The only bad thing about then is that they shipped my order using ground mail. The canadian customs LOVES sending bills to people. I always ask for air mail so that I don't get a little surprise farther down the road. :ponder:

If you want b@st@rds :x that everybody hates here they are:

Upstate Games: http://www.upstategames.com/