IGNORED

6 new Atari VCS/2600 game releases

8th lutz

more infos on the digitpress forum

quoted:

The games I'd consider complete are Genesis, Atom Smasher, and S.A.C. Alert. They could have used a few more days or weeks of polish, but are more complete in comparison to a lot of 3rd-party titles from back then (and I'm not even considering the Mythicon games ).

Depth Charge is complete for basically being half of a game. The half that exists is similar to Sea Wolf. The missing half would have been similar to Atari's Depth Charge or Sega's Sub-Scan. It would have been cool to see it completed, but unlike a market crash 'victim' like Atom Smasher, a change in company plans sunk Depth Charge before it was finished.

The Ghost Attack cart utilizes a menu program that was originally created for the Amiga Power-Play carts, and modified to run the 3 Ghost Attack prototypes separately. The first level is fully playable and after playing for a few minutes, it will auto-run the 2nd level. The collision-detection wasn't completed for this part, so there's no way to reach the 3rd part w/o running it from the menu. The 3rd part is playable but there's no ending (but some music for it is in the code).

Havoc is close to being complete, but after reaching the end (it cycles back to the 2nd screen where it runs forever).

With regards to the 3-D games, don't expect Avatar-like quality here the 3rd part of Ghost Attack and the 2nd screen in Havoc come close to pulling it off, but personally I think the resolution is too low with the games to pull off the effect convincingly. At least 2 other companies (one being Activision) either worked on or planned on releasing 3-D games, and didn't.

The packaging is similar to what was done with Tim Duarte's Mean Santa game last year. I plan on adding more information (text, photos, and possibly video) for each title in the next few weeks. Btw, the prices reflect the cost of making the games, and not the 'completeness' of them.

more infos on the digitpress forum

quoted:

The games I'd consider complete are Genesis, Atom Smasher, and S.A.C. Alert. They could have used a few more days or weeks of polish, but are more complete in comparison to a lot of 3rd-party titles from back then (and I'm not even considering the Mythicon games ).

Depth Charge is complete for basically being half of a game. The half that exists is similar to Sea Wolf. The missing half would have been similar to Atari's Depth Charge or Sega's Sub-Scan. It would have been cool to see it completed, but unlike a market crash 'victim' like Atom Smasher, a change in company plans sunk Depth Charge before it was finished.

The Ghost Attack cart utilizes a menu program that was originally created for the Amiga Power-Play carts, and modified to run the 3 Ghost Attack prototypes separately. The first level is fully playable and after playing for a few minutes, it will auto-run the 2nd level. The collision-detection wasn't completed for this part, so there's no way to reach the 3rd part w/o running it from the menu. The 3rd part is playable but there's no ending (but some music for it is in the code).

Havoc is close to being complete, but after reaching the end (it cycles back to the 2nd screen where it runs forever).

With regards to the 3-D games, don't expect Avatar-like quality here the 3rd part of Ghost Attack and the 2nd screen in Havoc come close to pulling it off, but personally I think the resolution is too low with the games to pull off the effect convincingly. At least 2 other companies (one being Activision) either worked on or planned on releasing 3-D games, and didn't.

The packaging is similar to what was done with Tim Duarte's Mean Santa game last year. I plan on adding more information (text, photos, and possibly video) for each title in the next few weeks. Btw, the prices reflect the cost of making the games, and not the 'completeness' of them.

Now that is what I was asking for. Very interesting ;)

I think what he is trying to say is that he believes 6 separate carts is wasteful - why not put all theses games on one cartridge as a multi-cart... ???

There was a scramble to do so according to Scott, but finding an available programmer with the time to create a multi cart loader prgram to handle all six games was difficult.

In my opinion, I think each of the six games should be released as is - one cart per game. Call me a traditionalist, but that's how it was done "back in the day."

Tim

?????

honestly, i wouldn't buy any of the games before seeing how the cart and box looks like, even if some of the screenshots look very interesting. from what is visible on the site, the artwork looks horrible ... i can only hope this isn't the final artwork :sad:

There are pictures of the actual product if you scroll to the bottom...

http://www.digitpress.com/library/videosoft/videosoft.htm

I think what he is trying to say is that he believes 6 separate carts is wasteful - why not put all theses games on one cartridge as a multi-cart... ???

There was a scramble to do so according to Scott, but finding an available programmer with the time to create a multi cart loader prgram to handle all six games was difficult.

In my opinion, I think each of the six games should be released as is - one cart per game. Call me a traditionalist, but that's how it was done "back in the day."

Tim

?????

The problem with that argument is that these are not complete games and instead of a nice cardboard box, they are being packaged in plastic cases with a really ugly insert. Even the ones that are "complete" are not quite finished or apparently not very good games. I applaud the team for putting these out, but given the cost, I just can't see buying these at this point. Maybe if a single cartridge release is done down the road for a smaller cost, I might consider it.

• Like 2

Meh, I'd pay $20 each, but that would be a maximum. They do not justify the price. When a homebrew is released for $40 - $50 the box is generally high quality, as are the label and manual, plus the games are done. History yes, nice, but this is in essence a hozer repro of something that wasn't finished back when. About like a Pepsi Invaders or any other repro. There is no justification for the cost here with what you get.

AX

• Like 4

I'll wait for any qualitative judgement until I can actually play them myself. I am glad they are being made each as individual cartridge, since that is authentic to how they would have been made. I am also thankful that I have an opportunity to own a piece of Amiga history, as an atari fan and an amiga fan.

I'll wait for any qualitative judgement until I can actually play them myself. I am glad they are being made each as individual cartridge, since that is authentic to how they would have been made. I am also thankful that I have an opportunity to own a piece of Amiga history, as an atari fan and an amiga fan.

You couldn't be any more wrong. The initial plan was to release these games on casette in a manner similar to the Starpath Supercharger. Later, the plan was revised to pack multiple games on one cartridge, including the three 3-D games. http://www.atarihq.com/museum/2678/amiga.html

The fact that this "release" is both overpriced and inauthentic is extremely disappointing.

• Like 2

You couldn't be any more wrong. The initial plan was to release these games on casette in a manner similar to the Starpath Supercharger. Later, the plan was revised to pack multiple games on one cartridge, including the three 3-D games. http://www.atarihq.com/museum/2678/amiga.html

The fact that this "release" is both overpriced and inauthentic is extremely disappointing.

A little off topic, but how rare is the supercharger? I really want one, but have never come across one.

well, I didn't know that about the 'on tape' aspect. In absence of an amiga power module (or whatever it was that would have played these,) I am happy with the catridges; though I now that is inauthentic to how they would have been released (of course original amiga module tape games coming out now would have no hardware to play them on and hence be useless).

Really, I am just happy these are being offered and appreciate the work being done.

A little off topic, but how rare is the supercharger? I really want one, but have never come across one.

You want mine? I never use it since I got a CC2.