IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

Starting bid lowered to $250, but reserve still not met.

I wonder if we'll see the same thing we've noticed/discussed a few times before, where someone places a very high bid and immediately cancels it to determine the reserve.

• Like 1

Yeah, I read those as the posts were made. I get that he ticked off a number of folks.

My question was more broad than just vahn421. I'm only asking since I usually see someone getting a pat of the back for finding an expensive game really cheap while occasionally people get vilified for the same thing. I haven't figured out the pattern.

Since I know that some people have trouble figuring out how to live in a civil society, let me tell you the "pattern":

Finding an old treasure in a second-hand store or swap-meet and getting it for a great price: pat on the back.

Convincing someone that the old item they have is really worthless, and that you would take it off their hands for a very cheap price -- and then bragging about how you conned some old dude into giving away some rare collectible: dick move.

I think that's rather clear.

• Like 2

Since I know that some people have trouble figuring out how to live in a civil society, let me tell you the "pattern":

Finding an old treasure in a second-hand store or swap-meet and getting it for a great price: pat on the back.

Convincing someone that the old item they have is really worthless, and that you would take it off their hands for a very cheap price -- and then bragging about how you conned some old dude into giving away some rare collectible: dick move.

I think that's rather clear.

Unfortunately, that doesn't clear up much.

Is it the buying cheap from old people? What if the old person was Bill Gates or Warren Buffett? More real-world likely, what about a BSR? What about an old person selling on eBay with a very low BIN?

Is buying cheap from a swap-meet always ok? What if the person running the stand was old?

Is buying cheap from a second-hand store always ok? What if the store is associated with a charity? Several types of these exist in my area. Is it ok to get an expensive game for a cheap price if it means that the charity will have less money that night and have to turn away some needy families to sleep on the streets? This last one is not a theoretical situation.

Are there other scenarios?

I am asking this as a serious question. I am not trying to pick a fight or anything similar here. I'm also not asking because of a personal lack of moral code (I do, I just haven't said where I stand on these questions). I have just noticed that there are times where some folks get vilified and other times not. I should have been more clear earlier that I'm looking at scenarios besides the recent vahn421 case.

Unfortunately, that doesn't clear up much.

Is it the buying cheap from old people? What if the old person was Bill Gates or Warren Buffett? More real-world likely, what about a BSR? What about an old person selling on eBay with a very low BIN?

Is buying cheap from a swap-meet always ok? What if the person running the stand was old?

Is buying cheap from a second-hand store always ok? What if the store is associated with a charity? Several types of these exist in my area. Is it ok to get an expensive game for a cheap price if it means that the charity will have less money that night and have to turn away some needy families to sleep on the streets? This last one is not a theoretical situation.

Are there other scenarios?

I am asking this as a serious question. I am not trying to pick a fight or anything similar here. I'm also not asking because of a personal lack of moral code (I do, I just haven't said where I stand on these questions). I have just noticed that there are times where some folks get vilified and other times not. I should have been more clear earlier that I'm looking at scenarios besides the recent vahn421 case.

Unfortunately, human nature, although intuitive to most humans, cannot be reduced to mere formulae as expected by a small few. :roll:

You must work in IT, no?