IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

The most frequent posters in the Intellivision forum don't post in other forums here much nor have I ever seen any Intellivision collection here as part of a large video game collection.

Feel free to prove me wrong. How many in the 125 club have an impressive collection for at least one other system? http://www.intellivisionrevolution.com/the-125-club

There are several CIB copies of Spiker for sale every year and that makes it an R7, if you compare it to the 2600. There is no R8, R9 or R10 for the Intellivision. And a R7 doesn't warrant $1,000+

Have a look here... I just begin to update my website : gamotek.fr/

Do we really have to resort to name calling??? This was one of the last civil boards out there where it seems more like a family. I really don't think name calling is appropriate just because you disagree with Andre's opinion. Having near complete collections of everything possible also doesn't make anyone an expert... Just sayin'

• Like 1

The most frequent posters in the Intellivision forum don't post in other forums here much nor have I ever seen any Intellivision collection here as part of a large video game collection.

Feel free to prove me wrong. How many in the 125 club have an impressive collection for at least one other system? http://www.intellivisionrevolution.com/the-125-club

There are several CIB copies of Spiker for sale every year and that makes it an R7, if you compare it to the 2600. There is no R8, R9 or R10 for the Intellivision. And a R7 doesn't warrant $1,000+

I'm in the 125 club and collect for multiple systems. Intellivision is a great system to collect for multiple reasons but I also really enjoy my 2600, Vic-20 and Turbo Grafx 16 among others.

I'm not in the 125 club but with ~100 CIB, ~15 more incomplete games, and just about all of the homebrews, I guess I qualify as an Intellivision collector. :D

I'm appalled to realize that's less than 10% of my collection, as after checking my spreadsheet it seems I've now got nearly 2000 games total -- yikes! Still, I'm not much of a completist and buy games mainly to play them.

OTOH, I've got most of a 32X collection, a complete US Microvision set, about 50-55% of a US Genesis set...yikes again.

The Intellivision is my main love (124 of 125) and definitely post the majority of the time in the Intellivision section. I have a solid collection of Odyssey 2, Atari 2600, Sega Genesis, PS1, NES, Sega Master, Vectrex and others.

However, it's true that I'd rather have a Spiker more than about any other game for any other system at the moment.

The value of the game is what the market will pay. That's only tangentially related to rarity, IMO.

Frankly, I've been shocked (in both the positive and negative sense) at the prices of things. On the positive, it means a few things. Dedication to the system by existing fans is still high, as is interest. There are a good number of avid fans of the system that are also not active on forums or online generally. It means you can find people to share in your hobby, trade with, or inspire to create new content. On the negative side, it means tough competition for things you'd like to add to your collection, driving the cost higher than you're willing to go. Is being upset at this aspect a manifestation of avarice? Jealousy? Frustration? It can be difficult to see this in a more dispassionate way, as we collectors are, by definition, passionate about our hobbies.

But I always caution greatly against trying to apply any sort of equivalence in rarity across systems. We try to capture 'rarity' on a simple linear scale, but it's much more complex than that, as we've covered before.

As to the price of an item, when one is for sale, as long as there are two or more people who really want it, the price will be too high for all but one of the interested parties - at least in an auction system. It doesn't matter if there are 5 or 5000 of them -- the two "most interested" parties will drive that price to the point where one gives up, if only one is on the market at a time. Price alone is not really a very good way to map to rarity, and vice versa. There is certainly some correlation, but I think we tend to assume it's greater than it really is, in general.

That said, one aspect we try to capture with a rarity rating is demand.

Another aspect is scarcity. This does not equate to monetary value, either. If there is demand, scarcity will enhance the price in a complementary fashion with demand. But just because there may be a small number of items available, it doesn't mean they automatically have more monetary value.

Particular to games as well is whether the game is good - think quality. When there is a high quality game, more people want to play it, which affects demand.

And for many collectors, of course, we have condition. This is important, but not to all members of the interested audience, but it likely increases desire to get the item among the most dedicated - those willing to pay the most.

Whether or not people interested in Spiker! collect for other platforms is really utterly irrelevant. The ultimate reason for its price is the demand for the item. There is no rational basis to justify that demand - but we can observe that, in fact, there are still many more individuals who are extremely dedicated to acquiring the item. Because of that, and the apparent lack of supply, the price is what the 'market' makes it.

There are rare NES games that go for tens of thousands of dollars. Completely irrational! Just as irrational as Spiker! is -- but clearly there is even more demand and possibly an even smaller supply there -- so those games are priced at what the market will bear.

Trying to assert that this or that item isn't worth what people are paying for it is attempting to rationalize what is, at its heart, irrational. Such a rationalization doomed to fail. Especially when those judgments are leveled at some of the most passionate collectors for the system.

• Like 6

However, it's true that I'd rather have a Spiker more than about any other game for any other system at the moment.

Why that? There is still so much other stuff that I'd buy with $1,000+ before I'd consider to buy a Spiker for that much money.

There are $1,000 Atari games were I'd hit BIN in a heartbeat, but those are games I'm looking for since a few years. As an Atari collector I know what it means to wait.

Spiker on the other hand pops up every now and then.

The value of the game is what the market will pay. That's only tangentially related to rarity, IMO.

Frankly, I've been shocked (in both the positive and negative sense) at the prices of things. On the positive, it means a few things. Dedication to the system by existing fans is still high, as is interest. There are a good number of avid fans of the system that are also not active on forums or online generally. It means you can find people to share in your hobby, trade with, or inspire to create new content. On the negative side, it means tough competition for things you'd like to add to your collection, driving the cost higher than you're willing to go. Is being upset at this aspect a manifestation of avarice? Jealousy? Frustration? It can be difficult to see this in a more dispassionate way, as we collectors are, by definition, passionate about our hobbies.

But I always caution greatly against trying to apply any sort of equivalence in rarity across systems. We try to capture 'rarity' on a simple linear scale, but it's much more complex than that, as we've covered before.

As to the price of an item, when one is for sale, as long as there are two or more people who really want it, the price will be too high for all but one of the interested parties - at least in an auction system. It doesn't matter if there are 5 or 5000 of them -- the two "most interested" parties will drive that price to the point where one gives up, if only one is on the market at a time. Price alone is not really a very good way to map to rarity, and vice versa. There is certainly some correlation, but I think we tend to assume it's greater than it really is, in general.

That said, one aspect we try to capture with a rarity rating is demand.

Another aspect is scarcity. This does not equate to monetary value, either. If there is demand, scarcity will enhance the price in a complementary fashion with demand. But just because there may be a small number of items available, it doesn't mean they automatically have more monetary value.

Particular to games as well is whether the game is good - think quality. When there is a high quality game, more people want to play it, which affects demand.

And for many collectors, of course, we have condition. This is important, but not to all members of the interested audience, but it likely increases desire to get the item among the most dedicated - those willing to pay the most.

Whether or not people interested in Spiker! collect for other platforms is really utterly irrelevant. The ultimate reason for its price is the demand for the item. There is no rational basis to justify that demand - but we can observe that, in fact, there are still many more individuals who are extremely dedicated to acquiring the item. Because of that, and the apparent lack of supply, the price is what the 'market' makes it.

There are rare NES games that go for tens of thousands of dollars. Completely irrational! Just as irrational as Spiker! is -- but clearly there is even more demand and possibly an even smaller supply there -- so those games are priced at what the market will bear.

Trying to assert that this or that item isn't worth what people are paying for it is attempting to rationalize what is, at its heart, irrational. Such a rationalization doomed to fail. Especially when those judgments are leveled at some of the most passionate collectors for the system.

Well written Steve. I couldn't have said it better myself...literally, I couldn't have said it as well as you. :)

• Like 1

Are there really several CiB Spikers every year? I know that we had some appearing in a very short time few years ago (maybe 2012/13) and back than I had the same feeling: Not pretty rare for a 1000 bucks game. Compare this site: http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/intellivision/spiker-super-pro-volleyball#completed-auctions

You have to pay attention, because there definitely are CiB games listened as loose ones, but in both categories I just found one single CiB Spiker in 2014 and 15 so far (actually my copy). I do not check the market every day, but were there really more CiB copies this and last year?

Edit: And you also can see that the market was flooded in 2013, which probably leads to the conclusion that it shows up several times a year. In 2013 it was correct.

Edited by Ignorama

Whether or not people interested in Spiker! collect for other platforms is really utterly irrelevant.

It is absolutely relevant. If you only collect for one console with a rather small library it doesn't stress your budget as much as if you collect for all classic consoles and home computers. Personally I've postponed the purchase of Spiker until there is nothing left that I'd rather buy with the money.

And even then I'd have to think twice if the desirability is big enough for me to warrant the price.

Oh and to that part:

How many in the 125 club have an impressive collection for at least one other system?

I would exchange the word impressive with large and I do have a large SNES collection, about 110 CiB games. All in all I own about 400-500 videogames and 140-150 of them are INTV games.

Looking to my Intellivision collection I wonder how you will argue about 150€ for a Super Metroid :lol:

There is not a debate, its just a Rumpelstiltskin against the hard reality :P

The hard reality is that more than 10 CIB copies have been sold in the last 3 years. That doesn't really make me feel comfortable to pay $1,000+ for a game that still pops up frequently.

Again I throw in the Super Nintendo. Different consoles have different markets and these markets result in different values for the same rarities. On the SNES you pay 200+ Dollars for games we would call common to uncommen. It doenst helps to compare that with other markets. Or look at Conkers Bad Fur Day. You can buy it 24/7, but that doesnt mean that it costs below 150€

Edited by Ignorama

Again I throw in the Super Nintendo. Different consoles have different markets and these markets result in different values for the same rarities. On the SNES you pay 200+ Dollars for games we would call common to uncommen. It doenst helpts to compare that with other markets. Or look at Conkers Bad Fur Day. You can buy it 24/7, but that doesnt mean that it costs below 150€

The question is how sustainable those prices are. Take the game from your avatar for example. Tutankham sold for $1,136 in 2012 (http://www.intellivisionrevolution.com/entries/intellivision-auction/sealed-intellivision-tutankham-sells-for-1-136) and the price has taken a huge hit since then.