IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

Mine came in a clear, perforated, plastic slip cover with a bit of scotch tape. European ones are likely different; looks like you can open the box without breaking it, unlike north american boxes.

Edit:

The instructions look photocopied. I guess they didnt have scart in Belgium.

Edited by mr_me

Mine came in a clear, perforated, plastic slip cover with a bit of scotch tape. European ones are likely different; looks like you can open the box without breaking it, unlike north american boxes.

Edit:

The instructions look photocopied. I guess they didnt have scart in Belgium.

The SCART Intys were only in France.

Is it just me, or is it fascinating that so many of the "original run" Inty games seem to have survived in pretty decent condition? Or, is it just that we only notice the nice ones and automatically filter out the frumpy ones? Is this unique to Inty? My much more casual observations on other platforms indicates that Atari, ColecoVision, and NES tend toward loose carts. Odyssey^2 does also seem to tend more toward CIB, though.

Is it just me, or is it fascinating that so many of the "original run" Inty games seem to have survived in pretty decent condition? Or, is it just that we only notice the nice ones and automatically filter out the frumpy ones? Is this unique to Inty? My much more casual observations on other platforms indicates that Atari, ColecoVision, and NES tend toward loose carts. Odyssey^2 does also seem to tend more toward CIB, though.

I agree. I think people kept Intellivision boxes to hold the components, so they exist today in large enough numbers that it's easy to find decent condition boxes today. There's also the seemingly limitless supply of mint sealed games still being sold and traded. The abundance of all these nicer condition boxes, many of which are pretty affordable commons, devalues anything that's sub par to the extent that they are often given away or discarded.

What I don't understand is why so many of the F.C.Tv.V.O. boxes are in such great shape. I've seen a bunch of rough NFLs and a pretty beat up Math Fun...not much else. It makes you wonder if they had been identified as unique and held by collectors...prior to the last decade.

Funny story. When I first learned of these, I searched all my duplicates and only came across NFL and MLB. Then it dawned on me to inspect my main collection where I display best USA copies. Apparently my display copies of Armor Battle, Checkers, and MLB were already the early variants! Of course, they will be well taken care of as long as I own them :)

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 1

It's the gatefold phenomenon.

Make a functional box (that also happens to be quite sturdy) and people will hold on to them and use them for storage. Inty, o2, arcadia, etc. The coleco boxes are the worst since they were glued shut and torn to pieces in an exited frenzy. Coleco clamshells last forever though :)

Personally about 1986 I was already scouring garage sales and resale shops for intellivision and colecovision games. Trying to pick up used systems as backups and games I didn't have. I couldn't imagine a life without these systems and back then it seemed you would never again have a chance to get them if you didn't pick up spares while you could. Even back then it was obvious what games were more uncommon and I noted some of the different variations. I didn't have a clue about production runs then. But of course the games with color manuals were obviously better than 2 or 1 color ones. And you would assume they were first as companies just always tried to cut costs as time passed. And the games with the plastic trays of course we're more desirable than those without.

I have now tried to lay off the inty variant collecting as it can drive you mad. :D

I suppose if it was the only system I collected I would delve deeper...but I like too many systems :P hehe

Personally about 1986 I was already scouring garage sales and resale shops for intellivision and colecovision games. Trying to pick up used systems as backups and games I didn't have. I couldn't imagine a life without these systems and back then it seemed you would never again have a chance to get them if you didn't pick up spares while you could. Even back then it was obvious what games were more uncommon and I noted some of the different variations. I didn't have a clue about production runs then. But of course the games with color manuals were obviously better than 2 or 1 color ones. And you would assume they were first as companies just always tried to cut costs as time passed. And the games with the plastic trays of course we're more desirable than those without.

I have now tried to lay off the inty variant collecting as it can drive you mad. :D

I suppose if it was the only system I collected I would delve deeper...but I like too many systems :P hehe

I'm currently in a similar spot with Wii games. They're pretty affordable right now, so I'm building a collection before they are expensive and/or scarce. I'm up to like 15 games, but have a decent want list :D

It absolutely is the gatefold phenomenon. Unlike many of you, I collect for "everything" - and also unlike many of you, I'm extremely casual about all of it. I'm never really trying to find a single game for anything. So I basically see an awful lot and I look at stuff mostly in bulk.

Intellivision is hands down the most CIB pre-crash system. In fact the only cartridge systems that beat it are Sega's - and it's close, at that. As mentioned, Arcadia and O2 see a fair bit of boxed, but nothing compared to the INTV. Oddly, the Channel F is also more common boxed than not, and those are just basic slipcovers. Probably due to its novelty factor back in 1976. I notice that generally, the most popular systems tend to see the least number of boxes still around - 2600, NES, SNES. I think there's an element of the "drooling masses" at play here. Boxes for mass-produced products are just packaging, after all. Who keeps packaging? Whereas the more niche systems were the ones owned by those that kept better care of their stuff. And with the gatefold boxes, it wasn't packaging - it was a storage device.

As for the unopened stuff, it's quite simple - Mattel never landfilled it the way Atari did. At least not that I'm aware of. It's quite shocking how much NIB stuff has surfaced over the years. Even today it's almost easier to find 7800 carts NIB than loose (and I'm only slightly exaggerating).

• Like 1

Maybe its because more of the very first Intellivisions games were bought by younger adults for themselves and better taken care of and played less. Parents buying for their kids might have waited until Christmas. I don't know if any of that is true, just a guess.

Regarding boxes, I hated the 1983 boxes. I only had one, BumpNjump, and sometimes left the cartridge out because it was a pain to use the box. I dont know what I would have done if all the boxes were like that.

Edited by mr_me

I also think that the very first Intellivision games were made with a better quality materials.

For example, compared to the Mattel boxes made in Hong Kong for the international market I feel that the cardboard of the early Mattel boxes, no matter whether with or without the famous "For Color TV Only", is stronger, sturdier, perhaps even a little thicker and surely heavier.

Jason, you know, if I'm looking around for those early editions is your fault :lol:

Edited by intellivotion

Jason, you know, if I'm looking around for those early editions is your fault :lol:

Due to the nature of my collection, trying to get the earliest release of each game, I picked up on the FCTVVO variations very early on and didn't think twice after tracking them all down. Around 2008 or so, they were just as cheap to get as any other common. I cringe thinking about all the ones I have passed on since completing that subset after seeing what they go for now.

At least I got off cheap. Better to be lucky than good, lol

I'm currently in a similar spot with Wii games. They're pretty affordable right now, so I'm building a collection before they are expensive and/or scarce. I'm up to like 15 games, but have a decent want list :D

Yup. My sweet spot has always been a buck a game. Right now you can build a heck of a PS2/Xbox/Wii collection for that price, if you're patient. I have a couple of bookshelves full already.

Whether or not there will ever be a collector market for them is another matter. It's gonna depend heavily on how well the optical systems survive. And eventually the requirement for online access that's long been turned off will render console games useless - this has already started with some PS3/Xbox 360 titles.