IGNORED

Project-M 2.0

NRV

Hi all!

At last, after a year of doing nothing, I got some time at the end of this year to advance this thing (a long vacation!). After like a month and a half of "casual" work I got to the point where you can move freely through the maze(s), and also added a lot of details and tested some ideas.

There are 2 versions: PAL and NTSC, they only run in the correct machine and are almost equal. The colors are adjusted to be similar and the music plays at the same speed (NTSC drop one of every six music steps, but it sounds pretty good). The PAL version is the better one because of the PAL artifacting and the "longer" frames, but in general they are pretty similar.

Try this in Altirra 1.8 for the best results. For PAL you need to select in "System->Video": "PAL" and "PAL artifacting". Also in "Adjust colors" the preset "original". For NTSC unselect "PAL" and select the color preset "Authentic NTSC".

I had not tested this in real machines, but I cleaned up the code so not to load anything below the 10K mark, so I hope this helps those with modern load devices.

I added a little intro, mostly to showcase the great music from Miker :D. Many thanks as always for all those songs!

Basically, now you can move through the maze, picking up keys and some gold treasures, opening doors and founding secrets. There are no enemies or "visible" sprites yet, so I added a "graphical" way to show that you picked up something (anyway I generally put things near golden walls.. I'm not that bad a person :)).

There are 3 types of doors: blue ones are free, green ones need a key to open and red ones cannot be opened.

Try to use "wisely" your keys (yes, right now is mostly trial and error..) and try to end the "game" with more than $600! (well, there is not really an "end", is just the last maze :))

I implemented different methods of control, so you can choose the one that fits you better:

-> by joystick: up/down moves forward and backward, left/right rotates, button+left/right strafe to the sides, button while looking at a door (needs to be at the tile beside the door!), opens the door.

-> keyboard:

- arrows (with or without [control]) and W,A,S,D: moves and rotates.

- [shift]+left arrow/right arrow: strafe left right

- Q and E: strafe left right

- Z and X: strafe left right

- [space bar] or [return]: open doors

(In emulation, in a PC keyboard, I like to use the arrows and Z,X to strafe)

-> other keys:

[control]+M: music on/off

[control]+R: rotation speed (between 1 and 5)

[control]+P: old hud effect plus a "classic" vcount rainbow :)

Right now there is no restart method, sorry for those that play in real machines :).

Technical post and spoilers later :)

Regards!

project_M_2.zip

Edited by NRV
  • Like 11

Hi all

a fast post for now :) (being edited!)

project_M_2.zip

Oh, what a sh... I am without any possibility to get an Emulator where I am...

Anyone could kindly post some .avi?

Anyone please just save the video when you are watching it the Emulator and send me a .zip, please, please!...

Thanks.

José Pereira.

Cool. I get about 2 or 3 doors though then can't progress... suppose I'll have to employ the old keep left search pattern.

I'll have to setup another machine - VBXE means you don't get PAL colour-blending, and for some reason Altirra isn't blending the colours very nicely either.

Atari800Win+ just looks a mess, but we all know it's useless for cycle-exact Timer stuff.

My Altirra version has also lapsed - still 1.8test28, get a fair bit of noise on the left-hand side.

Real PAL 800XL - seem to get a single pixel of noise on the far right that's sometimes visible.

Great effort though - good to be able to control the action yourself, and shows some of the potential that this engine could have.

Looks fantastic on a 320K XL NTSC. Now I've got that music in my head. :)

Really nice job. Amazing.

Allan

I'll second that. Looks incredible on my 320K 130XE. I am going through a scan doubler to an LCD screen. I will try it on my 1084S and see how it looks on a proper screen.

Thank you all :)

Just updated my post!

I'll have to setup another machine - VBXE means you don't get PAL colour-blending, and for some reason Altirra isn't blending the colours very nicely either.

Atari800Win+ just looks a mess, but we all know it's useless for cycle-exact Timer stuff.

My Altirra version has also lapsed - still 1.8test28, get a fair bit of noise on the left-hand side.

Real PAL 800XL - seem to get a single pixel of noise on the far right that's sometimes visible.

Yeah, you need to use the last Altirra 1.8.. there the IRQ sync is fixed by Phaeron.

I could make a version for Atari800Win, but it will only run there.

The single pixel noise.. Phaeron warned me about this :) , it seems that there are two different types of atari computers, and there is a one cycle difference between the IRQ start between them.

I can make a version that run well in your machine, but I was waiting to have a better knowledge to do a version that do the correct initialization, auto detecting the kind of machine where it's running.

Regards!

• Like 1

This is truly incredible! :lust: The speed, intro, Miker's music, everything. But mostly it's your engine that makes it unique among all the 8-bit computers! It was worth every day of waiting, please continue this project, the finished game would be incredible and surely would make you the legend in 8-bit world! :)

@Stephen, and w1k, thanks for the videos!

HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!

Very cool. Legendary already. I'm very impressed. Can you guys imagine this in the late 80's?? PAL has nice artifacting done this way. Very, very cool.

I asked this once, but I'll ask again because I want to try the same artifacting on the Propeller...

How are the colors drawn? Is it just color on one line, intensity on the other static, or do they need to alternate somehow?

Awesome. Just awesome! And the music is great too. I only have 800XL... stuff like this makes me want a full real machine setup. One day soon, I guess!

Edited by potatohead