IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2011 (Season 4)

And so it falls! Took out the Gauntlets first try, then straight to the end! Still lots of exploring to do on level 6, so I'll be making a few more forays into the Maze, but as of now, I have beaten the game!!!

NES

Wizardry II 90 mins.

Zelda Challenge: Outlands 180 minutes, searching for 5th Labyrinth!

post-409-0-92683300-1306817333_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

NES

Wizardry II 100 minutes. Mapping Level 6. Lost my Thief tonight due to two failed revive spells. The first turned him to ash the second caused him to be lost forever. The good news, my back-up thief was able to level up very quickly thanks to the powerful monsters on levels 5 and 6. Probably spend a few more hours mapping the lowest level, then give this great game a break.

Times for Monday - Thursday:

NES:

Skull & Crossbones - 5 min.

Genesis:

Golden Axe III - 55 min.

Granada - 66 min.

SNES:

Art of Fighting - 96 min.

3DO:

Need for Speed - 10 min.

Samurai Shodown - 28 min.

Shadow: War of Succession - 69 min.

Trip'd - 37 min.

Zhadnost: The People's Party - 44 min.

32X:

Motocross - 30 min.

I got a few new 3DO games this week, and spent some time checking them out, as well as exhuming a couple of titles I already had. Trip'd is a puzzle game with a couple interesting twists -- and a horrendous manual. Zhadnost is a blend of shallow minigames and public domain video clips from educational films and newsreels, tied together with a "totalitarian game show" theme which manages to be mildly entertaining (but not as entertaining as the PD clips).

Within 24 hours of getting the disc in the mail, I beat Shadow: War of Succession on all three difficulty levels. I've already posted elsewhere about how thoroughly pathetic this game is, so I won't repeat myself here. If you're curious, watch the Retro Gambler's review on Youtube, linked here.

Meanwhile, I pulled out Art of Fighting and Granada for the first time in ages -- I've beaten both games on lower difficulty levels in the past, and wanted to pick the thread back up. No luck with AOF, which is as frustratingly unresponsive as ever, but I beat Normal mode on Granada with unexpected ease (and six starting lives). I also was surprised by the ease with which I beat the first six races in Motocross on Expert mode -- it feels great to go back to the 125cc bike after dealing with the unwieldy Superbike.

Finally (though it was actually my first gameplay of the week), my girlfriend and I made it to the final boss battle in Golden Axe III for the first time, but got completely flattened. This one will be tough.

• Like 1

NES

Zelda Challenge: Outlands 135 mins. After wandering around for a while I found an area I previously didn't have access to and thus found the 5th Labyrinth and wiped it out. Now to repeat this process for #6. I think I need to map this game....

2600:

Stargate 30min

Plaque Attack 1hr 5min

Kaboom 30min

Missile Command 20min

5200:

Defender 45min

INTV:

Demon Attack 1.25hrs

Nova Blast 40min

C64:

Revenge Of Defender 50min

TI99:

Defender 15min

VIC-20:

Defender 20min

Here are my times for this past week (May 30th through June 5th)...

Arcade:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - 244 min. in 12 sessions

Mikie - 89 min. in 3 sessions

Pooyan - 66 min. in 4 sessions

Q*bert - 21 min.

Turtles - 33 min.

Total playing time: 453 minutes (65 minutes per day)

In "Indiana Jones", I'm now at "flight level", that is, I get to the Challenge Round most of the time, but don't make it to beat my high score of about 253,000 points. Most sessions now consist of only one game (where each game takes 10-12 minutes). I noticed, however, that the background music has "real counterparts"... for instance, during the cave parts, it plays "Parade of the slave children" by John Williams out of the movie soundtrack. And of course, the title tune is the Indiana Jones Theme which is found in all of the movies (as far as I know). Consequently, I played the original version of "Parade of the slave children" on my radio show at Radio-is-music-for-life this week. And there has been another game based on that movie... a 3D game starring all actors converted to LEGO figures.

In "Mikie" I reached both goals I set myself - making one round (through all the rooms) and beating the factory-set highscore of, I think, 75500 points. I played this because it's somewhat similar to "Indiana Jones".

In "Pooyan" I got to the 5th round today, which, I think, is far enough... such a game already takes over 12 minutes.

In "Q*Bert" I only played one game, but still made Level 5 on that one attempt.

In "Turtles", I didn't play for long, but made it to beat all 8 floors this time.

I attempted to play another game, a browser game called "Pizza Connection", but it doesn't work for me. The game hangs at loading 99%... it seems like the Unity player it requires doesn't run properly on my PC. Therefore, no minutes for this one are listed.

NES

Zelda Challenge: Outlands 100 mins. Labyrinth #6 FOUND. Mostly cleared. Screw you ZC:O, the entrance was hidden in a completely unexpected spot with NO clues as to how to find it. Screw you.

VCS

21 Blue (Homebrew WIP) 45 mins.

Edited by StanJr

Game Boy:

Pokemon: Blue Version - 60 minutes

Game Gear:

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - 55 minutes

Sonic Drift - 26 minutes

Sonic Drift 2 - 40 minutes

Sonic Spinball - 50 minutes

Tails Skypatrol - 40 minutes

Super Nintendo:

Bust-A-Move - 171 minutes

Super Off Road: The Baja - 51 minutes

Top Gear - 188 minutes

Top Gear 2 - 231 minutes

Nintendo 64:

The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 172 minutes

Everything on this list was beaten this week except for Pokemon and Zelda.

posting times for the weekend… I'm pretty much stuck in 1983 lol and having alot of fun!!!

June 4:

Atari 5200

Centipede 1 hour 30 minutes

Moon Patrol - 30 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 20 minutes

Colecovision

Pepper II - 45 minutes

Lady Bug - 30 minutes

Venture - 45 minutes

June 5:

Atari 5200

Centipede - 1 hour

Missile Command - 15 minutes

Colecovision

Pepper II - 1 hour

Donkey Kong - 15 minutes

NES

Fester's Quest - 1 hour

Pin•Bot - 25 minutes

my trak-ball has been cooperating so I'm playing Centipede as much as I can, and getting some CV time with Pepper II, which I absolutely love!

I am going to try and possibly conquer Fester's Quest sometime - gave it a go but quit after I accidently grabbed a gun power down and couldn't get a power up after a long grind… the whip is strong but slow and it also collects items and that's how I got powered down… will be playing more Pin•Bot for high score this week

My times for Friday - Sunday:

Channel F:

Pac-Man - 2 min.

Game Boy:

F1 Race - 33 min.

32X:

Motocross - 291 min.

Finished the Expert difficulty in Motocross, with first place in every race.

As I said earlier, it's such a strange progression in this game -- after you beat a cycle of races, you're upgraded to a "better" bike, but this alleged improvement translates to "Yes, it can go somewhat faster, but in every other aspect it's harder to control and less fun to drive".

I guess a lot of racing games are that way, but I'll be glad to get back to my little 125cc (once again!) when I begin Pro difficulty.

Edited by thegoldenband

I've been playing Super C again lately. Lots of folks call it hard, but I've never thought so. Turbo fire really helps. Probably spent 2-3 hours in it, on and off, over the weekend

When I was a kid I could get to the last level without dying, but I'm nowhere near that ATM. I still get over half way in, but with lots of stupid deaths. It's amazing how little damage the bosses can take compared to a modern run-and-gun, and the number of 1-ups given out is pretty high.

Edited by Reaperman

Here's the summary for Week 23, running from May 30 - June 5. We logged 5229 minutes of eligible play, playing 54 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Zelda Challenge: Outlands (NES/Famicom) - 785

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 701

3. Motocross (Sega 32X) - 321

4. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Arcade) - 244

5. Top Gear 2 (SNES) - 231

6. Wizardry II: Knight of Diamonds (NES/Famicom) - 190

7. Top Gear (SNES) - 188

8. Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) - 180

9. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - 172

10. Bust-A-Move (SNES) - 171

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 701

2. Centipede (Atari 5200) - 150

3. Pepper II (ColecoVision) - 105

4. Mikie High School Graffiti (Arcade) - 89

5. Demon Attack (Intellivision) - 75

6. Pooyan (Arcade) - 66

7. Plaque Attack (Atari 2600) - 65

8. Revenge of Defender (C64) - 50

9. 21 Blue (Atari 2600) - 45

9. Defender (Atari 5200) - 45

9. Venture (ColecoVision) - 45

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (1235)

2. SNES (917)

3. Atari 2600 (861)

4. Arcade (453)

5. Sega 32X (321)

6. Atari 5200 (260)

7. Game Gear (211)

8. ColecoVision (195)

9. 3DO (188)

10. N64 (172)

Strong numbers and lots of different gaming this week, with the Zelda hack Outlands joining forces with old favorite Kaboom to dominate the overall charts.

Meanwhile the Intellivision nearly drops off the radar, while a few seldom-seen systems like the VIC-20 make their first appearance in a while...or in the case of the Channel F, the first appearance ever, as far as I can tell, which is fairly surprising! So, who wants to fire up their Studio II and add another system to the spectrum? ;)

Edited by thegoldenband

I've been playing Super C again lately...Probably spent 2-3 hours in it, on and off, over the weekend

Welcome to the tracker! I counted this as 150 min., FWIW. And yeah, Super C's a fun game -- though I don't think I ever beat that one, now that I think about it. I should bust it out again sometime.

Also, I've been counting all of the Super Mario All-Stars gameplay as one unit, under SNES. I can see an argument either way, but I think a bunch of people in the past reported it in aggregate (rather than SMB1 vs. 2 vs. 2j vs. 3), and it just seems saner this way.

I've been playing Super C again lately...Probably spent 2-3 hours in it, on and off, over the weekend

Welcome to the tracker! I counted this as 150 min., FWIW. And yeah, Super C's a fun game -- though I don't think I ever beat that one, now that I think about it. I should bust it out again sometime.

Oops, I should have paid more attention and actually read the start of the thread. Before, I had assumed this to be a standard 'what are you playing' thread like the ones floating around in modern gaming. I've probably tremendously messed up your rules and tracker.

Oops, I should have paid more attention and actually read the start of the thread. Before, I had assumed this to be a standard 'what are you playing' thread like the ones floating around in modern gaming. I've probably tremendously messed up your rules and tracker.

Absolutely not, your contribution is welcomed! And approximations are always OK, so when you said "2-3 hours" I figured I'd split the difference. Not a problem at all, especially for a single entry. And after all, this stuff is all for fun.

Edited by thegoldenband

Turbografx

The Legendary Axe - 60min

SNES

Super Mario Bros 2 (Mario All-Stars) - 40 min

Dreamcast

Hydro Thunders - 20 min

Sonic Adventure - 20 min

Finally picked up a Turbografx but the only game I have right now is The Legendary Axe which I guess could be worse because it's actually a pretty good game. All I have is the Turbo Stick and although it's a pretty good arcade stick I need to pick up the traditional controller.

Atari 800

Defender- 5 minutes

Donkey Kong- 15 minutes

Moon Patrol- 20 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man- 3 minutes, (sorry, got interrupted)

Pac-Man- 10 minutes

Preppie II- 10 minutes

Atari 2600

Burgertime- 10 minutes (flickery mess, but fun)

Defender II- 15 minutes (beautiful game)

Arcade

Centipede- 10 minutes (darn spider!)

DOS

Champ Kong- 10 minutes

Linux

Burgerspace- 10 minutes

NES

Zelda Challenge: Outlands 145 mins. Found Labyrinth #7 and beat it, moved on to 8, have been in every room, but cannot find the tetrarch fairy for anything! Also, there is a stretch in #8 where you have to go about 8 rooms avoiding red bubbles with no blue bubbles in order to defeat a boss. Just evil.