IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

• 3 weeks later...

When using the Lantronix UDS-10 to call up BBS's, some boards repeat back a double character to me. How do I get this to stop repeating double characters?

Other boards work just fine with no repeated characters back to me. I've tried BOBTERM and ICE-T both and they have the same effect. I've tried to find any settings in the UDS-10 and these to terminal programs to turn off any kind of echo to no avail.

Solution anyone?

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

Not having an UDS, all I can say is that more users had such problems in the past and it seems they solved it.

The first thing that comes to my mind when talking "double-chars" is the "local echo" setting (in the UDS or terminal) but irc this was not it with the UDS issue.

indeed, the local echo is the problem. I had this also several times . ages ago.. in da 90s.. I also had my own Atari 8bit BBS in the Netherlands, called "Atari Power BBS" . It was a pure DEMO coder BBS.... Ran on a 130XE , 2 Atari 1050 drives (one had the 180kb happy add-on), a P:R connection and a 19.2K baud modem.

• Like 1

For those who're using a shell account to call Thunderdome:

If the provider happens to be

http://DFS.org

(IP 192.94.73.30)

you aren't able to use it anymore for the BBS. I'm receiving an uninterrupted stream of connections from it with a protocol that looks like telnet but isn't. It causes the BBS to jump from one time-out to the next time-out making it almost impossible to "dial-in". I reported the issue to the domain owner and until the issue has been solved that IP address will be blocked.

For those who're using a shell account to call Thunderdome:

If the provider happens to be

http://DFS.org

(IP 192.94.73.30)

you aren't able to use it anymore for the BBS. I'm receiving an uninterrupted stream of connections from it with a protocol that looks like telnet but isn't. It causes the BBS to jump from one time-out to the next time-out making it almost impossible to "dial-in". I reported the issue to the domain owner and until the issue has been solved that IP address will be blocked.

Hey Fox-1,

Isn't that that BBS where people can chose one of the known atari 8bit BBS's so they do not have to 'remember' all those different IP addresses? (Especially for the Lantronix UDS users, because they can not dial out using a domain name).

Greetz

M.

When using the Lantronix UDS-10 to call up BBS's, some boards repeat back a double character to me. How do I get this to stop repeating double characters?

Other boards work just fine with no repeated characters back to me. I've tried BOBTERM and ICE-T both and they have the same effect. I've tried to find any settings in the UDS-10 and these to terminal programs to turn off any kind of echo to no avail.

Solution anyone?

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

RESOLVED! >>> I hooked up my 1088K 130XE to my ICD P:R: Connection via RS232 into my PC's COM port hosting Commodore Telnet BBS Server 1.4 program (virtual modem) which behaves perfectly on every BBS I call. No more double characters or problems calling ASCII / ANSI boards. I've been using ICE-T terminal with no problems at all this way.

#EnjoyingTheExperience

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

RESOLVED! >>> I hooked up my 1088K 130XE to my ICD P:R: Connection via RS232 into my PC's COM port hosting Commodore Telnet BBS Server 1.4 program (virtual modem) which behaves perfectly on every BBS I call. No more double characters or problems calling ASCII / ANSI boards. I've been using ICE-T terminal with no problems at all this way.

#EnjoyingTheExperience

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

Sorry I missed the first part of this post - I'd start with what boards were doing this?

I'd be interested in knowing... Thanks.

Sorry I missed the first part of this post - I'd start with what boards were doing this?

I'd be interested in knowing... Thanks.

Well, when I had my Lantronix UDS-10 hooked up either through my Atari 850 interface or the ICD P:R: Connection, it would repeat double characters on Boot Factory, Thunderdome, Inside the 8-Bit, and some others. Your BBS, Atari Inside, YYZ BBS, & some others worked fine.

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

Well, when I had my Lantronix UDS-10 hooked up either through my Atari 850 interface or the ICD P:R: Connection, it would repeat double characters on Boot Factory, Thunderdome, Inside the 8-Bit, and some others. Your BBS, Atari Inside, YYZ BBS, & some others worked fine.

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

Any correlation between those BBS's that are run on real Atari hardware/software, vs emulated BBS's?

Just a random thought...

Any correlation between those BBS's that are run on real Atari hardware/software, vs emulated BBS's?

Just a random thought...

I'm not sure since some boards I call are running on real Atari equipment and PC's hosting their telnet connections and some are hooked up directly to Lantronix devices. I've tried every setting to turn off echo in my UDS-10 and terminal programs to no avail. I think it may be in the P:R: Connection and the 850 possibly? Maybe the way they interpret the EOL translations?

Whatever the case may be, when I hooked up the Atari through the PC's COM port into the Telnet BBS Server 1.4 program, everything now translates properly and works great! I still get to use my real Atari 8-bit and either 850 interface or PRC, just not with the Lantronix, instead using the PC for telnet connection. I also enjoy using the ICE-T 80 column ANSI terminal program with my 130XE when calling boards since it handles diverse translations across the board and higher speeds. I connected to several boards last night including yours at 9600 bps and it worked great!

I would like to configure the Lantronix UDS-10 to work with my 8-bit setup in such a way that each type of BBS I call works properly.

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

Edited by Lord Cygnus

Its tricky sometimes, for sure. In the past, I've had BBSs that worked, but only with certain software, even

though it was all running on the same hardware, different results when running off different OS"s, blah, blah,

blah...

Its like trying to negotiate a minefield in the dark sometimes. :)

What has been happening? I occasionally get these bots which scan port 23 looking for shell or router access. One time I had a terminal program connected instead of the BBS and I saw a bot attempt to connect using one of the default logins/passwords in an attempt to gain access, e.g. login:root. password:root. The scans come in waves, I will get 10 or so in an hour, then nothing for days. They connect then immediately disconnect, so it causes the BBS to boot and reboot each time. More of a nuisance than anything, but at least it has slowed down. There was a point where I was getting over a hundred of these per day.

I have been suffering from several ip hack attacks and other unbelievable crap. For security reasons I take my BBS down for a while.

Just how my software is. When it detects carrier the BBS loads the login screen, then when carrier drop is detected it reruns the assembly regardless of whether anyone logs in or not. All of this causes the old Seagate MFM hard disk to run needlessly.

I think that these bots try to gain access to a D-Link type router with BusyBox, then they run a script to remove and replace files within the router. What they do from there I have no idea. But I know once you're into a router like that you can bounce anywhere you want with telnet.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that the ANG BBS ARCHIVE is back online.

Unfortunately I didn't got the RS232 to Ethernet converter working.

So I'm thinking about buying a Lantronix xDirect (which is a new product) or the EDS1100 (which is the successor of the MSS-100).

At this moment I'm using APE as a modem.

The Archive is about the IAN (International Atari Network) messages.

Try and look if your messages from the 90's are still there ;-)

There are no files to download (although I have some idea's about it).

Menu's are in Dutch, English and German.

But a lot of other text is in Dutch.

Any questions, just let me know.

The BBS can be found at telnet://angbbs.dnsalias.com:23

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1