IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

13 minutes ago, clh333 said:

List?

-CH-

www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php

These are the telnet ones mostly.  We could get you squared away with that if you need.  I know a guy. 

The demos are at the sfhq bbs address... ports 6502 and 6800 for BBCS and Michtron 3.

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

Figures you'd forget to mention the 3 BBSs that actually run out of NE Ohio!  :P  5 if you count the BBCS and Michtron demos!

NE Ohio.... the Atari BBS capital of the world!

We were talking about BBSs with dial-up access. :) Which NE Ohio BBSs have dial-up access? 

-JP

13 minutes ago, JohnPolka said:

We were talking about BBSs with dial-up access. :) Which NE Ohio BBSs have dial-up access? 

-JP

Seems to me like he's ready to graduate and play with the big boys now.

And anyway, any of us could be in on the modem pool.

26 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Seems to me like he's ready to graduate and play with the big boys now.

And anyway, any of us could be in on the modem pool.

Sorry for not mentioning your website in my reply.  I meant no disrespect.

It sounded like he wanted to use his modem. There are a decent number of BBS users that only use modems. I have a couple regular modem users on the Basement. They are aware that one can connect through the Internet, but they just prefer the modem experience.

I didn't want to send him to a website that does not have any BBS phone numbers after he said he was using the telnetbbsguide.com to get phone numbers.

Maybe your BBS list can include phone numbers too? I think that would be a nice addition to your website.

And yeah, any BBS that does not have dial-up access can be added to the modem pool. I recommend all SysOps add their BBS to the list. You can sign up at the following web page:

https://ramsaso.com/

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

12 minutes ago, JohnPolka said:

Sorry for not mentioning your website in my reply.  I meant no disrespect.

It sounded like he wanted to use his modem. There are a decent number of BBS users that only use modems. I have a couple regular modem users on the Basement. They are aware that one can connect through the Internet, but they just prefer the modem experience.

I didn't want to send him to a website that does not have any BBS phone numbers after he said he was using the telnetbbsguide.com to get phone numbers.

Maybe your BBS list can include phone numbers too? I think that would be a nice addition to your website.

And yeah, any BBS that does not have dial-up access can be added to the modem pool. I recommend all SysOps add their BBS to the list. You can sign up at the following web page:

https://ramsaso.com/

-JP

Oh man, I'm just messing with you, honest... no offense taken!

Pretend you're Darklord and then read it again.... see... just messin'. ;)

Well, it's not like I have anything AGAINST telnet, it's just that I had this modem to test...  I had already determined there were no local dial-up BBS, although I do remember the Basement - vaguely.  Back in the day the kids were using C64 and Amiga equipment for dial-up; the phone was always busy.

I'll be happy to visit sites by telnet but I admit I have a soft spot for modem comm.  I'd hate to see it disappear from use.

-CH-

I actually did have plans to add a phone # but then i got to thinking that I think there are only two Atari BBSs that have their own phone #, and the rest are modem pool (which would be too many numbers really to list individually).

So that might be a good topic.

7 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Oh man, I'm just messing with you, honest... no offense taken!

Pretend you're Darklord and then read it again.... see... just messin'. ;)

OK. But I still think you should get your BBSs on the modem pool and add dial-up numbers to your website. :)

-JP

1 minute ago, clh333 said:

Well, it's not like I have anything AGAINST telnet, it's just that I had this modem to test...  I had already determined there were no local dial-up BBS, although I do remember the Basement - vaguely.  Back in the day the kids were using C64 and Amiga equipment for dial-up; the phone was always busy.

I'll be happy to visit sites by telnet but I admit I have a soft spot for modem comm.  I'd hate to see it disappear from use.

-CH-

Well, like JP said... there is a guy out there who sets up a modem pool for telnet BBS's who want to be reachable by phone.  I never really got around to it yet for mine.

If there is a bigger market for it, why not?  The only real problem with running a phone-line BBS is the simple matter of the connection being outside of your control.  If you can't get a real POTS line, you're at the mercy of your ISP's capabilities.

4 minutes ago, Tillek said:

I actually did have plans to add a phone # but then i got to thinking that I think there are only two Atari BBSs that have their own phone #, and the rest are modem pool (which would be too many numbers really to list individually).

So that might be a good topic.

OK. We can talk about it some more on the Zoom call.  The BBSs that are in the modem pool usually publicize just one phone number plus the "id and password" needed to negotiate the initial modem pool login screen.

-JP

1 minute ago, JohnPolka said:

OK. We can talk about it some more on the Zoom call.  The BBSs that are in the modem pool usually publicize just one phone number plus the "id and password" needed to negotiate the initial modem pool login screen.

-JP

Begs the question... do people with real POTS lines have to pay LD fees still?  Or is it "unlimited nationwide" like my cell phone?

Last time I checked, it seemed like they really stick it to you.

24 minutes ago, clh333 said:

-CH-

If you were calling C64 BBSs in the 216 area code back in the day, you might have called a C64 BBS named "My Basement" which was occasionally mistaken for my BBS, "The Basement". ;-)

I am also running my step dad's old BBS, Part-Time, which was the longest running Atari 8 bit BBS in the 216 area code (it was originally up from 1985 - 2000). It too has dial-up access through the modem pool (call 216-260-2250 then enter parttime for the username and parttime for the password).

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

5 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Begs the question... do people with real POTS lines have to pay LD fees still?  Or is it "unlimited nationwide" like my cell phone?

Last time I checked, it seemed like they really stick it to you.

It depends.  When you get a POTS line you can optionally add a long distance plan. I do not have one on my POTS line. So I can only call local numbers on it. Believe it or not, there is one other BBS in my local calling area (The Keep). If you have a long distance plan, then for a flat fee you have unlimited long distance.

You can also use a free Google Voice line with an OBI200 (or similar) device.  I also have this which features unlimited calling to USA and Canada. I have used it to connect to Backyard BBS (which is the dial-up only Atari BBCS BBS in Canada) and others.

I also read that MagicJack works too.

-JP

Right... but that's why I didn't want to list just "one number" for the pool.  Wouldn't want to discourage someone thinking it's not local when there might be a local number right there for them to call.

I tried MagicJack awhile back..... I think I was able to do a 1200baud connection on The Keep barely long enough to get to the main menu and then it died... and that was after many attempts.  That was with one of the USR Courier v.dawholefnthing

5 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Right... but that's why I didn't want to list just "one number" for the pool.  Wouldn't want to discourage someone thinking it's not local when there might be a local number right there for them to call.

I tried MagicJack awhile back..... I think I was able to do a 1200baud connection on The Keep barely long enough to get to the main menu and then it died... and that was after many attempts.  That was with one of the USR Courier v.dawholefnthing

You can always suggest that callers locate their local number (or nearest phone number) on the following web page:

https://ramsaso.com/access-numbers/

-JP

5 hours ago, Tillek said:

www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php

These are the telnet ones mostly.  We could get you squared away with that if you need.  I know a guy. 

The demos are at the sfhq bbs address... ports 6502 and 6800 for BBCS and Michtron 3.

I was able to connect to BBCS, but not to Michtron 3.

8 hours ago, Dopeyman06 said:

I was able to connect to BBCS, but not to Michtron 3.

Ah... forgot to mention.

Michtron 3 has... an issue.

Once the connection establishes, type 13 and then enter.

You'll also have to hang up on it.  The 13 problem seems to come from the WiModem232 sending the "connect 9600" (which is 13 since Michtron wants numeric results) before Michtron is ready to receive it.  So it sits there and waits.

I think I know  how to fix the hang up issue... Just haven't had a chance to apply it yet.  Will try to get to that after work today.... (Yesterday ended up being a long day and none of the "post work" activity got done unfortunately). :(

2 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Heh, anyone who can't take it as well as they dish it out,

shouldn't be a SysOp!  Just sayin'...  :)

I mean, that SysOp title that you take also comes with

a big RED circle on your back...   :D

With great power, comes great responsibility