IGNORED

High Score Club 8.21 - Riddle of the Sphinx

Ze_ro

Important Note - This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Hieroglyphics on an ancient obelisk tell a strange tale:

These are dark times. Death's long shadow rests across the Valley of the Kings. Anubis, jackal-headed god of the dead, has cast his curse over all of Pharaoh's kingdom. A plague of scorpions and hordes of thieves lie thick upon the land. O hear the thin whine of despair!

Sing of Pharaoh's Son, all hail the Prince of Egypt! Deliver us from this curse! Brave the dangers of the desert. Seek the answer to the Riddle of the Sphinx. Pay Anubis' ransom with your treasures, O cunning Prince of Wiles. Reach the Temple of Ra, source of light and life.

Pharaoh's heir--be wise, be wily--and beware!

rosphinx-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Riddle of the Sphinx
  • Released By: Imagic, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: Your Choice - Controls Speed
  • Right Difficulty: Used In-Game (see manual)
  • Game Mode: Game 1

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday January 19th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Supreme Challenge - Play Game 3 and post a score. Top score will get 5 points, second 4, etc. All scores will earn at least 1 point.
    1. 55,920 (oyamafamily) [+5]
    2. 33,103 (toymailman) [+4]
    3. 31,046 (JacobZu7zu7) [+3]
    4. 25,503 (Miss 2600) [+2]
    5. 20,746 (Gorfy) [+1]
    6. 19,309 (Jifremok) [+1]
    7. 6300 (Vocelli) [+1]
    8. 4446 (roadrunner) [+1]

Current High Scores
  1. 64,106 (oyamafamily) [+11]
  2. 45,729 (JacobZu7zu7) [+10]
  3. 44,009 (toymailman) [+9]
  4. 35,260 (Miss 2600) [+8]
  5. 34,904 (Gorfy) [+7]
  6. 18,803 (Vocelli) [+6]
  7. 7789 (rmaerz) [+5]
  8. 6480 (LarcenTyler) [+4]
  9. 6460 (Jifremok) [+3]
  10. 4466 (roadrunner) [+2]

Best Tips
  • oyamafamily [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 204,292 (Troy Whelan)
  2. 21,023 (Lafe Travis)
  3. 9080 (Robert T Mruczek)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [279]
  2. JacobZu7zu7 [250]
  3. Scrabber15 [227]
  4. Deteacher [208]
  5. oyamafamily [199]
  6. Miss 2600 [145]
  7. roadrunner [131]
  8. Jifremok [110]
  9. zylon [66]
  10. Zoyx [55]
  11. Chuck D. Head [52]
  12. LarcenTyler [48]
  13. keilbaca [41]
  14. SeaGtGruff [33]
  15. Mingy Jongo [31]
  16. ClassicGMR [29]
  17. pis [21]
  18. lastkill3r [21]
  19. HatefulGravey [17]
  20. Gorfy [16]
  21. Mangia-Boy [15]
  22. rmaerz [14]
  23. doctorclu [13]
  24. Pioneer4x4 [12]
  25. 4Ks [10]
  26. dooglehead [9]
  27. Vocelli [8]new.gif
  28. MrJimbo [8]down.gif
  29. Mister VCS [7]down.gif
  30. satan165 [7]down.gif
  31. Curious Sofa [4]down.gif
  32. madbutscher [4]down.gif
  33. ed1475 [2]down.gif
  34. littleman jack [2]down.gif
  35. pacmanplayer [2]down.gif
  36. MIKE5200 [2]down.gif
  37. Austin [1]down.gif
  38. Player 3 [1]down.gif
  39. SpaceDice2010 [1]

Scoring Points in Riddle of the Sphinx

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• Keep track of which treasures are appropriate offerings at each of the sacred monuments and temples.
  • When the Prince reaches a sacred monument or temple, he will want to make sure he defeats any thieves in the area before making an offering. If thieves disturb the ceremony, the Prince's offering may not be accepted, even if it iscorrect.
  • Study the Astrologer's messages. They can lead the Prince to making correct offerings and locating the special item necessary to the Temple of Ra.
  • When backtracking across the valley of the Kings, the Prince may want to keep to the extreme left or right. The Prince will then be surprised less often by thieves, scorpions and the vile god Anubis.
  • The Prince will want to become familiar with his entire kingdom. He will want to visit every area and explore even the most mundane locale.
  • Though unnecessary in Game 1, the Prince may still wish to make offerings at all sacred monument and temples. He will receive inner strength points as a result of the consideration he has shown.

oyamafamily

See oyamafamily walkthrough in this post.

--Zero

Now, I have my avatar - the Snotterpillar. I put it because I loved playing Xenophobe very much.

Now I'm going to move to the current game, which is RIDDLE OF THE SPHINX.

And here's my score for participation points on Riddle - Default Settings (Game 1): 5792

post-24681-129487949144_thumb.jpg

Edited by oyamafamily

My first score: 34,904.

I had difficulty distinguishing between temples/places to make offerings, so I did a lot of random guessing. Afterwards, I found a jpeg of the manual on atariguide.com, which is useful for identifying these places and the various objects (the atariage manual has no pictures). Surprisingly, what looked to me like a big pile of dung turned out to be the Sphinx! Good luck, everyone!

post-27900-129488284336_thumb.jpg

Unlike my first attempt, I was able to complete the level on my 2nd attempt by getting the temple of ra to accept my treasures. However, my score was much lower this time (12,463) because I wasn't wandering around in a state of bewilderment and shooting everything in sight. Perhaps my previous high score should not count since I eventually died on that occasion without completing the level. Is there a stipulation regarding this?

My first attempt ended with me accidentally hitting reset while trying to find out how to use items on Stella. (I never did bother to learn the interface past the left joystick and difficulty switches.) My second attempt was successful though.

aahscRiddle.jpg

And here's my score for game 3.

aahscRiddlegame3.jpg

Looks to me like the best way to earn a high score is by wandering around, just offering the same crap to the various temples that accept said crap.

Ok, this is a game I have in storage. Time to break the shrinkwrap!

An' a perfect time to do so!

I own this game too, first one I own at HSC since the Tron week.

Time to break out that old "ratty" Sphinx game of mine. Not only that, but actually learn how to play it properly :thumbsup:

Completed level 3 with a score of 20,746.post-27900-129499271012_thumb.jpg

GORFY, Could you write and show the tips to complete Game 3? I can't go to the North after archieving the Phoenix!! Also, I'm incentivating to write the best tips for 2 bonus points!

On level 3 you have to give two offerings to the Phoenix (and at the temples of Isis and Anubis) instead of just one in order to pass North. The first offering is the same as in the previous two levels. Does this help?

Completed level 3 with a score of 20,746.post-27900-129499271012_thumb.jpg

GORFY, Could you write and show the tips to complete Game 3? I can't go to the North after archieving the Phoenix!! Also, I'm incentivating to write the best tips for 2 bonus points!

On level 3 you have to give two offerings to the Phoenix (and at the temples of Isis and Anubis) instead of just one in order to pass North. The first offering is the same as in the previous two levels. Does this help?

OH, yeah! I saw the Scanned Riddle Manual available on ATARIMANIA PAGE!! (CATALOGS SCANNED!)

However, my score was much lower this time (12,463) because I wasn't wandering around in a state of bewilderment and shooting everything in sight.

That's the state I'm in. I go as far north as I can and then back down again and so on. I'm trying out different offerings. The only thing I think I know is that the pyramid wants the key. I thought the Temple of Isis wanted the necklace but now it seems to reject it.

I could keep playing, but I don't see the point right now until I can figure it out.

Also, I think I have what Scrabbler had the last two weeks (cough, cough :sad: )

Game 1: 35,260

post-2105-129512294597_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miss 2600

However, my score was much lower this time (12,463) because I wasn't wandering around in a state of bewilderment and shooting everything in sight.

That's the state I'm in. I go as far north as I can and then back down again and so on. I'm trying out different offerings. The only thing I think I know is that the pyramid wants the key. I thought the Temple of Isis wanted the necklace but now it seems to reject it.

I could keep playing, but I don't see the point right now until I can figure it out.

Also, I think I have what Scrabbler had the last two weeks (cough, cough :sad: )

post-2105-129512294597_thumb.jpg

I originally guessed the necklace for Isis as well, but its actually looking for the object that pertains more specifically to her royal heritage. Hope you and Scrabbler get well soon!

Edited by Gorfy

post-24681-129520043525_thumb.jpg

New high score on Game 3 - 55,920

Way to go on that high score! Have you found any surprises along the way that weren't mentioned in the manual?

No, I haven't. I have printed and read carefully the text which explains the solution for Game 3 on this game. Then, I played Game 3, and I used the strategy to get more and more points: re-offer appropriate itens to Phoenix, Temple of Isis, Temple of Anubis, and Sphinx (these structures which I've already passed).