IGNORED

High Score Club 8.21 - Riddle of the Sphinx

Ze_ro

I studied carefully the solution for RIDDLE GAME 3!

Thanks for the link, oyamafamily. The instructions worked like a charm and I was able to complete game 3, although I didn't go for a high score.

Now I need to see if I can complete Game 1. I've had this game for years but never played it before. I like it.

Game 3: 14,386

post-2105-129529491346_thumb.jpg

A lot of people have posted scores... but at least half, I cannot tell what LEVEL you guys have played the game on??? :ponder:

Zero's not gonna have an easy time updating, unless your GAME (1 or 3) is written next to your high score! 'UPDATE YOUR POSTS'.

Game 1 is the main scoring game were doing, and the "optional challenge" is game 3,

for the bonus point/s.

I studied carefully the solution for RIDDLE GAME 3!

Thanks for the link, oyamafamily. The instructions worked like a charm and I was able to complete game 3, although I didn't go for a high score.

Now I need to see if I can complete Game 1. I've had this game for years but never played it before. I like it.

Game 3: 14,386

Same here, I had Sphinx for years but barely touched it, and when I did... I didn't get far, and the manual made it seem harder 'n more confusing then it is...

It's a cool quest game, very playable. :thumbsup:

Unlike my first attempt, I was able to complete the level on my 2nd attempt by getting the temple of ra to accept my treasures. However, my score was much lower this time (12,463) because I wasn't wandering around in a state of bewilderment and shooting everything in sight. Perhaps my previous high score should not count since I eventually died on that occasion without completing the level. Is there a stipulation regarding this?

THIS IS A VERY GOOD QUESTION, ZERO?? :?

Unlike my first attempt, I was able to complete the level on my 2nd attempt by getting the temple of ra to accept my treasures. However, my score was much lower this time (12,463) because I wasn't wandering around in a state of bewilderment and shooting everything in sight. Perhaps my previous high score should not count since I eventually died on that occasion without completing the level. Is there a stipulation regarding this?

THIS IS A VERY GOOD QUESTION, ZERO?? :?

Well, here's the thing. It's against the rules to run up your score without making a serious attempt to progress in the game. This turns into a bit of a judgement call, because it's impossible for me to tell what a persons intent was from a screenshot alone, so it's more of a trust thing. The fact that you can finish this game faster with a lower score sort of throws a monkeywrench into things, but I think it's clear that Gorfy's first, higher score was obtained with a legitimate attempt to progress, so I can't really deny it.

--Zero

OYAMAFAMILY'S TIPS:

1. Before playing this game, study the Ancient Egypt itinerary, from the South to North:

• OASIS
  • STARTING SCENE
  • FIRST PYRAMID
  • OASIS
  • PHOENIX
  • OASIS
  • TEMPLE OF ISIS
  • OASIS
  • SECOND PYRAMID
  • DOUBLE PALM
  • TEMPLE OF ANUBIS
  • DOUBLE PALM
  • THIRD PYRAMID
  • OASIS
  • SPHINX
  • OASIS
  • TEMPLE OF RA

2. WALKTHROUGH TO GAME 1:

• Travel South until the Oasis. Then, drink it to get the Staff of Ra
  • Walk North, and ignore the First Pyramid when you encounter it
  • Before encountering the Phoenix, you must touch the Nomads until getting the Scroll
  • Walk until the Phoenix, then offer the apropriate object called Scroll
  • Once you have the key, backtrack to the first Pyramid. You will receive one of the 3 tablets
  • Walk North past the Phoenix. Before encountering the Temple of Isis (blue building), you must touch the Princess (Goddess Isis - the blue humanoid) until getting the Crown. Then, go to the Temple of Isis, and offer the Crown
  • Once you have the key, go to the next Pyramid to receive another tablet
  • Before encountering the Temple of Anubis (fire-colored structure), you must find and catch the Princess until getting the Ankh. Then, go to the Temple of Anubis, and offer the Ankh to get another key
  • Go to the last Pyramid to receive the third tablet
  • Walk north until the Sphinx, which wants one of the Tablets. Then, try each of them until one is appropriated.
  • Finally, walk to the Temple of Ra (the endpoint of this game). For this variation, you don't need to offer anything.

3. WALKTHROUGH TO GAME 3:

It's similar to Game 1, but you must offer the following itens:

• PHOENIX -> Tannis Leaf and Scroll
  • TEMPLE OF ISIS -> Jug and Crown
  • TEMPLE OF ANUBIS -> Shield and Ankh
  • SPHINX -> One of the 3 tablets
  • TEMPLE OF RA -> Staff of Ra

4. During the gameplay, DRINK at every oasis you encounter. Also, touch the goddess Isis (blue humanoid) every time she appears to get the treasures. Once you get the Sceptre (figured by the Greek letter "PSI"), select this item from your inventory to walk faster, but DON'T forget to select the apropriate item from this inventory to give to Phoenix, Temples, Pyramids, and Sphinx.

5. Collect the treasures as many as possible before reaching the Temple of Ra, because you will score more points at the endpoint of this game.

6. Once you collected a lot of treasures and artifacts, and you are near Temple of Ra, AVOID touching the enemies (specially the thieves), and the Nomads.

7. Set TV TYPE switch to Black & White Mode to verify Prince's wound and thirst scores.

8. When you walk South, specially from Phoenix to the First Pyramid, stay all the way to the left side. This action will decrease the risk of touching the enemies (thieves, spiders, and Evil God Anubis).

Edited by oyamafamily

I'd assume the scores are for game 1 unless specified as game 3 because some players may skip the bonus.

Yeah that makes sense.

Though I saw Zero at the HSC forum Saturday afternoon, was wondering if he was unsure of the scores, since the 'scores' update didn't happen afterwards. :arrow: :ponder:

It took a while to get a scroll in Game #1

Score = 44,009

post-10944-129541114866_thumb.jpg

and then for Game #3

Score = 33,103

post-10944-129541116101_thumb.jpg

As the scores are not really relevant for this game my suggestion is to award first place points to all those that finished the game (akin to "rolling" a game in other weeks). Then all non-complete games are based on score after that.

As the scores are not really relevant for this game my suggestion is to award first place points to all those that finished the game (akin to "rolling" a game in other weeks). Then all non-complete games are based on score after that.

Geeze, toymailman! If you're going to suggest things like that, suggest them earlier in the week before some of us spend extra time trying to amass a decent score! ;)

Geeze, toymailman! If you're going to suggest things like that, suggest them earlier in the week before some of us spend extra time trying to amass a decent score! ;)

LOL! Point taken. My wife and I have just been very busy lately preparing for our first child. I didn't even get to start playing this one until late into the weekend.

• 2 months later...

It's a good idea to close HSC topics when the round is over

I wait a week or 2 to lock the last round played in the 5200 and 7800 HSC's.

But it's still a good idea to lock the old threads.

Yeah it can cause confusion for players as to what the latest HSC round is

There's alway's someone who comes along a year or two later and posts a score for a game were no longer playing. :ponder:

• 1 year later...

Yes, I finally beat game #3...that was fun! Game #1 seems kind of pointless now. The score of 15,620 was pleasing for a first time through too. Glad I finally pulled this game out and read the manuel (a MUST) and some hints online. This is a hidden gem for Atari games! The random order of needed items you collect from your digging shovel, nomad traders, and the Goddess Isis makes each game unique. Now to play again with left difficulty on A (many fast-moving theives and scorpions).