IGNORED

Can Classic Video Game Systems damage an LCD TV?

Atari2008

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 32 inch LCD TV (1080p), and I hooked up a Channel F System 2 to it. The image actually looks quite nice, and the audio is quite good, except I can't raise it too high or else I'll hear static coming from the TV speakers. I have hooked up to the coaxial jack using one of those handy adapters. Since the Channel F was designed for late 70s/early 80s CRT TVs, is there any possibility that it could damage the LCD TV?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

No, I have a LCD Television and it never occurred to me. However, one of my friends went through 3 of them because of it. So I worry for my TV because is might happen to me as well..

Anthony....

I'd be more worried about the wiring of his home or perhaps something wonky with his particular console. A good number of us have been using LCD tvs with our classic systems for years without a single issue. I've used mine for classic gaming for almost 3 years now without any problems at all.

Edited by Lendorien

Hi guys,

No, I have a LCD Television and it never occurred to me. However, one of my friends went through 3 of them because of it. So I worry for my TV because is might happen to me as well..

How can you be sure the cause was "it", "it" being old consoles? Is there evidence pointing directly to the console(s)? Like Lendorian says, more likely an issue with the console or power/connectivity issues. Or perhaps even a bad cable box spiking the TV. Or just plain crappy TVs.

I have seen modern LCD screens with burn in from constant images. The map bar from Obilvion was clearly burnt into a friends TV before he replaced it. That said he played that game for about 12 hours a day for a month, so I think its a case of not having enough life to off set his nerd-gasim.

I have been playing olders systems with that one color back ground on my LCD for a while now with no problem. I reallty think it just has something to do with how much time you spend playing on it at a time. An hour or so here or there shouldn't create a problem for you.

I have seen modern LCD screens with burn in from constant images. The map bar from Obilvion was clearly burnt into a friends TV before he replaced it. That said he played that game for about 12 hours a day for a month, so I think its a case of not having enough life to off set his nerd-gasim.

I have been playing olders systems with that one color back ground on my LCD for a while now with no problem. I reallty think it just has something to do with how much time you spend playing on it at a time. An hour or so here or there shouldn't create a problem for you.

A lot of these responses have been hilarious! :D I'm a moderate user, I'd probably play 30 minutes here and there, so I'm thinking I should be on the safe side. I actually emailed the manufacturer, and they said it should be safe too. So I guess I'm cleared to game away... :)

I've played games HEAVILY on my LCD TV. Don't think I've done 12 hour Oblivion sessions, but I have done 8 hour Oblivion sessions. I've easily played 12 hour sessions of Persona 3 and 4. I do get some ghosting from time to time but I've never had any permanent burn in.

I even have a generic TV from some Wal-Mart house brand manufacturer before they started stocking real TVs. It works just fine. I do have a stuck pixel, but I don't know as that is from the video games.

"Burn-in" on an lcd can happen. But it happens much more slowly than a plasma or crt. It can also be removed by playing static, or something that "exercises" the stagnant pixels.

I've had the same image of Canyon Bomber running on an LCD for 4-10 hours on end for days and days. No problems to report.

Here's Apple's way of getting rid of image persistence.

Edited by Keatah

Damage from burnin or something? It's doubtful, LCD's don't really wear the way a led or phosphor does. Now, my experience with LCD TV's (and I don't have near the problem with LCD monitors, probably better parts) you'll only realistically get 3-4 years of use out of a LCD TV one way or the other.

Now, if your TV has LED backlighting, those do wear, slightly, and I could see games with a lot of static dark or light areas, could eventually wear on the backlight, however, LED's have such a long lifespan I doubt you'll have to worry much about that.

Damage from burnin or something? It's doubtful, LCD's don't really wear the way a led or phosphor does. Now, my experience with LCD TV's (and I don't have near the problem with LCD monitors, probably better parts) you'll only realistically get 3-4 years of use out of a LCD TV one way or the other.

Now, if your TV has LED backlighting, those do wear, slightly, and I could see games with a lot of static dark or light areas, could eventually wear on the backlight, however, LED's have such a long lifespan I doubt you'll have to worry much about that.

Huh?? Why would a backlight wear faster depending on the image in-front of it??

Or are the tv's nowadays varying the backlight brightness AND being selective about what area of the screen gets more or less of it?

Edited by Keatah