IGNORED

MIO drives

olavese@online.no

I do have a question about the term power... I know that if the Acard is supplying term power, you should not apply the term power from the MIO. But if the Acard supplies the term power is anything else required in the MIO (diode, etc.) to prevent damage? Or is it OK as-is -- no mods needed at all?

-Larry

BTW, I'm sure this is posted somewhere, but only the upper half of the MIO 27128 eprom gets programmed. $2000-$3FFF.

I doubt if it makes any difference if there is anything in the bottom half, but I don't know that for sure.

@Larry

You can switch off term power on acard with a jumper. As long as you use same psu for mio and acard I guess it is not an issue that both devices put +5 on that scsi line.

And as far as I know it is no problem that an EPROM contains data in an area that is not used.

Where would I find eproms for Atari? And the burner that would work? Any burner?

I think if you only need to burn an EPROM once every 13th blue moon it's better to just ask someone else to prepare one for you. There are enough people hanging around in here that can do this and want to do this for next to nothing.

It would be a different story if you think you need to "burn" several EPROMs a year.

The AEC-7730 LVD SCSI to SATA Bridge Adapter is available from SATAGEAR.COM for $79.98. If it is backwards compatible with SCSI I it would allow connection of a SATA HDD to an MIO/BB.

That one does not work here. The box said it should be compatible, but my BlackBox SCSI port locks up. When the AEC-7730 is connected to the SCSI cable, no other SCSI device (that normally is compatible with blackbox) do respond anymore.

I also bought a special SE/LVD Terminator, but it didn't help me.

OR my AEC7730 is defect, or it simply can not work.

I have heard these trouble also on Amiga platforms.

You cannot use a device thats made for Low Voltage Differential SCSI with a host controller that ONLY supports Single Ended SCSI.. Doesnt matter what terminators your use.

That bridge is incompatable with the MIO/BlackBox (And every AMIGA SCSI (narrow 50-pin) controller I know of.)

You'd need another "bridge" to convert SE SCSI to LVD SCSI..

It's also very important to remember that the MIO and BLACKBOX are not the same where SCSI compatability is concerned. The ACARD happens to work with the MIO... This does not mean that any device that works with the BlackBox is gonna work with the MIO.. The BlackBox works with just about all SCSI/SCSI-II legal devices.. The MIO works with a small handful of devices whose firmware HAPPENS to support a very specific legacy arbitration mode.

So if you have an MIO, do not assume that because it works with Marius's BlackBox (or some AMIGA SCSI controller, for that matter) that it will work with the MIO.. This just isn't true with the vastly overwhelming majority of devices.

Check the Drive Compatability Page on my website before buying any SCSI connected device, drive, or adaptor for the MIO. If you find something that does work, that's not listed there, let me know and I'll add it.

http://www.rasterline.com/drives.html

Hi Marius-

As far as I know, the Acard 7720U must be powered separately. I have never gotten one to work from an unmodified MIO (or BB). I use a small regulated +5VDC PS. Is yours is powered from the BB (or MIO)? How about posting a picture here of your BB and/or MIO setups.

Thinking about my original question, I guess it's no different than a drive supplying the term. power, but then it still seems like you are "back-feeding" power to a pin in the MIO that was not designed for power. Dunno ???

-Larry

@Larry

>As long as you use same psu for mio and acard I guess it is not an issue that both devices put +5 on that scsi line.<

Hi Marius-

As far as I know, the Acard 7720U must be powered separately. I have never gotten one to work from an unmodified MIO (or BB). I use a small regulated +5VDC PS. Is yours is powered from the BB (or MIO)? How about posting a picture here of your BB and/or MIO setups.

Thinking about my original question, I guess it's no different than a drive supplying the term. power, but then it still seems like you are "back-feeding" power to a pin in the MIO that was not designed for power. Dunno ???

-Larry

Larry, The 7720U needs power for 2 things:

1) to run the onboard logic for the SCSI-IDE bridge. There is no way for it to take this power from the MIO without adding extra wiring for that purpose, so yeah you need a separate power supply for the ACARD (You should not atempt to "power" any external device from a 1meg ICD MIO. They have problems overheating the rectifier diodes, as it is)

2) To supply Term Power.

As far as it back-feeding to the MIO, no it does not. In the case of Term power, If your MIO has the term power mod, then remove the TPWR jumper on the ACARD.. If your MIO does not have the term power mod, then close the jumper on the Acard.

Niether the MIO or BlackBox supplys Term power in stock configuration (the pin is not connected, so you are not back-feeding anything). You are expected to supply it from some other device on the SCSI BUS.

With Warerat's "MIO supplied Term Power" MOD, there is a diode there, to keep power from backfeedinig in the case that you do forget and have term power enabled on some other device on the SCSI bus (like the ACARD, for exampe).. This is to protect the SCSI device and bus wiring. If you cut power to the MIO, and the device supplying term power was still on, without the diode, the MIO would draw it's power through that circuit, and probably fry the term power circuit in that device, and maybe even that wire in your SCSI cable.. So the DIODE prevents that from happening, in the event that you have term power misconfigured in that way..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

@larry

What I meant was:

Use SAME powersupply to feed Blackbox (Does mio has also it's own psu?) and Acard/harddisk/whatever.

As long as you use same PSU I guess it is not a problem that blackbox and acard do both put power on the terminationpower-wire in the SCSI cable.

but I can be wrong.

I guess it is more 'dangerous' when you use different PSU's

Greetz

M.

p.s. I don't have MIO, so I agree with MetalGuy: let's not take my setup as an example for MIO configs.

On my Blackbox, I use a PC PSU to run both the blackbox and the drives.. It works fine..

The stock MIO uses a PSU scheme very simlar to that of a 1050.. 9vac "brick" and internal 5vdc regulator and rectifier diodes inside the MIO.. On a 1meg ICD MIO, you are running so many chips that it is COMPLETELY INDAVISABLE to run anything addtional from the MIO's 5vdc power.. Provideing term-power to the bus doesnt take much, so that's O.K..

Larry, if we are talking about the MIO that I did the term-power mod on for you, there is a jumper inside the MIO (that I added) which lets you "disable" the MIO provided term-power.. If I was you, I'd remove that jumper, and install a jumper on JP4 on the ACARD instead. (you could do the exact opposite, and that would be fine too.)

You can run the MIO off a PC PSU, in which case you could also run the acard off the same PSU (but not through the MIO.. Youd still need to use 2 separate leads from the PSU).. And if you run the MIO off a PC PSU, the power switch on the MIO will no longer turn the MIO off.. (it's switched on the AC side)

If you decide to use a PC PSU to run the MIO, use the J7 header inside the MIO to connect power from the PC PSU.. pins 5&6 are ground.. pins 7&8 are +5VDC.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Thanks, Ken & Marius.

I didn't really think it would be harmful, but now I'm comfortable that something isn't going to get damaged.

Why don't some of you other guys post pics of your MIO setups? Always interesting, and I suspect to more than just me.

-Larry

Well...

Pictures of my setup are not so interesting. I haven't everything in one place. All my storage is now put away in some kind of 'closet' .. It is quiet, and looks nice. I can't show you a pic of my Blackbox AND Acard, since they are not on the same location for one picture.

Sometimes I change things here. Then I'll take pictures of it.

Good luck, and have fun with all the stuff. It is so great to work with atari!

Marius

Someone should buy one of these and try it:

http://a4000t.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180&zenid=a2270e36638c342ba8893bc667a7dc25

It's from the same guy that sells those Acard 7720UW on Ebay.

That is a very COOL thing. And very good price too.

I hope they come with a parity enable/disable jumper, since my blackboxes are unmodified. I had some bad experiences with Parity on blackbox, so I "downgraded" them back to no parity.

I emailed that question to the seller.

Another thing:

When I created a CF card with my Acard + CF Card adapter, would the cardreader this guy is selling also be able to handle my alreade prepared CF card, or do I have to start over then?

I guess it will work, but you'll never know.

Last thing:

they are really 'cheap' (good price) ... When I search the internet I find higher prices (even for used!) ... I'm wondering why he is selling everything for such low prices.

Greetz

M.

I'm seriously thinking of getting 2 of those. He claims it works with old-style samplers so the chance it works with a Black-Box and MIO is quite big.

Me too. Perhaps we can combine Shipping to The Netherlands. When we have "Customs" costs and shipping shared, it might be cheaper for both of us.

Idea?

Marius

I'm seriously thinking of getting 2 of those. He claims it works with old-style samplers so the chance it works with a Black-Box and MIO is quite big.

BlackBox, yeah... MIO, not necessarily.. The ACard is an awesome piece of gear because it DOES happen to work with the MIO.. The MIO is physically missing part of the SCSI hardware interface.. The new MIO firmware that works with the Acard (and a handful of other SCSI devices) relies on a pretty obscure Legacy arbitration mode that has never been widely used, and is left over from the very early SCSI-I/SASI era. The devices that do support this mode do it through really extensive/complete backward compatability features in their firmware. If the device happens to recognize/support that mode, then it may work.. If not, no...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

http://a4000t.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180&zenid=a2270e36638c342ba8893bc667a7dc25

These are interesting, but searching the internet I have found that some of these devices have READ ONLY firmware. I have sent a message asking whether they are write capable.

These are interesting, but searching the internet I have found that some of these devices have READ ONLY firmware. I'm not saying that those from this seller are, but it should be confirmed before ordering.

They are DEFINITELY Read/write.. I spoke to the guy on IRC about them for quite a while..

These are interesting, but searching the internet I have found that some of these devices have READ ONLY firmware. I'm not saying that those from this seller are, but it should be confirmed before ordering.

They are DEFINITELY Read/write.. I spoke to the guy on IRC about them for quite a while..

IIRC only the PCMCIA can work with Warerat's updated MIO firmware, even if it is fully compatible with the ICD versions, since LUN support was removed.

Now I got the AEC-7720U adaptor ... Not sure if I misunderstood, but do I still need a new EPROM to use it? What about those CF cards and adaptors, where do you find them (type that works with MIO)?

Thanks for all the info and help to everyone

So you have the 7720U version? So you have the 50PINS Scsi port?

Can you see from the label (small label on a chip) what the firmware version of the AEC-7720 is?

This CF adapter is VERY good. You can simply plug that one on your AEC-7720U. I have them in use (100% same, I bought from this guy).

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2904169591521?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290416959152&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I don't have a MIO. But I do have 7720U and 7720UW. Works great on BlackBox.

Good luck!

Marius

Now I got the AEC-7720U adaptor ... Not sure if I misunderstood, but do I still need a new EPROM to use it? What about those CF cards and adaptors, where do you find them (type that works with MIO)?

Thanks for all the info and help to everyone

So you have the 7720U version? So you have the 50PINS Scsi port?

Can you see from the label (small label on a chip) what the firmware version of the AEC-7720 is?

This CF adapter is VERY good. You can simply plug that one on your AEC-7720U. I have them in use (100% same, I bought from this guy).

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2904169591521?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290416959152&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I don't have a MIO. But I do have 7720U and 7720UW. Works great on BlackBox.

Good luck!

Marius

The SCSI cable from MIO fits directly into the adaptor. Firmware version is 3.89. Do I need to flash it?

Thanks