IGNORED

MIO drives

olavese@online.no

Anybody know of a place to get a drive that would work with the MIO, without the extra adapters? Are there any at all?

Thanks

The 50 pin scsi drives can be found on Ebay eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1904919636321?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=190491963632&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]. My only problem with this route is the drives are fairly old, so no telling how long they will last for you. Also probably need a power supply and or a external case with cables and scsi terminators. I am still fairly new to this as well.

MetalGuy66 has a great deal of information in a page on his website about the MIO drive compatibility http://www.rasterline.com/

In a slightly related topic.

I just found this on a site Bob1200xl was posting about a new way to get RTC to Atari.

http://futurlec.com/CompBoard.shtml

I wonder if this would work as a serial drive, it says it connects via RS-232 and has baud rate selection from 9600-57k, can read CF cards upto 4gb and it says it has a real time clock built in?

I read another forum where someone said something about serial floppy drives could connect to Black box/Mio and I think the ICD P:R: Connector?

I have no idea if drivers could be written but it would be a cool add on.

There is also a RS-232 to USB device on that same website.

Best regards

venom4728a

I got the following drives off of eBay for next to nothing - they all work with my MIOs but you must make sure you have WareRat's 1.4.0 firmware. They won't work with original ICD firmware.

All are Seagate SCSI between 1-4 gb IIRC.

ST32430N

ST15150N

ST31055N

ST15230N

Why waste money on that crap?

The "adaptor" is tiny and costs $1.00..

Then you can buy a 73gig drive that will work with it (and fatser than any of those others) for $10.00...

so for the price of an eprom, plus $11.00, you have more hardisk space than you could use in a lifetime..

I just decommisioned my Dell Poweredge 2400 server with 6 73gb scsi drives in it because it generated too much electricity and weighed about 500 pounds :)

The drives are just sitting here. I think one of them may have been going bad but 5 are rock solid. Was going to list them on ebay but would rather have them go here if there usable.

I'm having rather good experiences with my SyQuest 200MB 5.25" removable.

Two counterparts: it is a noisy thing and not very fast (but really fast enough!)

Pro's:

It is removable. So when your mechanism falls out, you can take your valuable date easily out to another mechanism and have access to your data

If you treat your disks (cartridges) well it is a VERY reliable system.

I also have 3.5 Inch 270MB syquest. Also very good (and a lot faster), but they are harder to find.

Stay away from the 88MB syquests, especially the non "C" versions.

I like the 5.25" inch syquest for another reason, but that is really personal (and something weird from my side). I love the vintage look of the drive and the disks. Even the noise is ok for me. It is a vintage drive on a vintage computer system. I also have a modern 80GB harddisk on my Blackbox, but I love the Syquests most. Next to that I also have SCSI -> IDE -> CF adapters. That is a supersolution too, but not as cool as a real spinning 'harddrive'

Btw. using compact flash cards makes it a lot easier to backup your complete data. With "dd command in linux" you can backup your entire cf card in no time.

Greetz

M.

Then you can buy a 73gig drive that will work with it (and fatser than any of those others) for $10.00...

so for the price of an eprom, plus $11.00, you have more hardisk space than you could use in a lifetime..

Guess it's because I love my MIO's ... I have loads of other stuff, like SIO2SD and such, but really like to code on my MIO's RAM drive and then copy to HD or as it is now, to floppy and ATR's.

If anyone has a drive to sell me, that's simply to plug into the 50pin SCSI connector cable, I would like offers ... Must be confirmed working on the MIO. Thanks

I think Ken was pointing out that for the cost of an EPROM and a SCSI adaptor (SCA to 50 pin or whatever) you can use modern drives ON YOUR MIO.

This is exactly what I have connected to mine and it works great.

Edited by spookt

What's this adapter?

What's this adapter?

The adapter I originally meant was the Adaptec adapter that converts MFM or RLL drives (don't remember)

What's this adapter?

The adapter I originally meant was the Adaptec adapter that converts MFM or RLL drives (don't remember)

Look on Ken's site and there is plenty of info on getting modern, readily available drives with SCA connectors running with the MIO. I use the exact drive pictured there on a daily basis with my MIO and it is fantastic. It cost very little to get the adaptors / connectors together to install it in a nice desktop case and have it work with the MIO.

As stated above you will need to run the new 1.4x firmware by Warerat.

Edited by spookt

I have several MIO SCSI drives that work well with Warerat's new firmware, but use none of them. They work well, but they are large and noisy (to my ears, at least), and really require an enclosure with a fan. I'd keep looking for a SCSI-IDE bridge, even if you find a SCSI drive in the meantime. Below pics are of my setup using a Sandisk compact flash. The fact that the MIO will now work with the wide array of IDE devices is a true "game changer."

-Larry

post-8008-129743489595_thumb.jpg

post-8008-129743491271_thumb.jpg

I have several MIO SCSI drives that work well with Warerat's new firmware, but use none of them. They work well, but they are large and noisy (to my ears, at least), and really require an enclosure with a fan. I'd keep looking for a SCSI-IDE bridge, even if you find a SCSI drive in the meantime. Below pics are of my setup using a Sandisk compact flash. The fact that the MIO will now work with the wide array of IDE devices is a true "game changer."

-Larry

That SCSI->IDE bridge looked nice, but is 270 USD normal price for one? Only found one on Amazon, none on eBay. Model : AEC-7720U

Anyone can make these, have these or know where to find at a more resonable price? I saw one guy paid 35 GBP for it, that would be very nice :-)

No, that is an extremely high price, IMO. I paid around $25-$35 for mine including postage, although that was a few years ago. Keep looking! I'd set up a search notification on eBay. And good luck!

-Larry

That SCSI->IDE bridge looked nice, but is 270 USD normal price for one? Only found one on Amazon, none on eBay. Model : AEC-7720U

Anyone can make these, have these or know where to find at a more resonable price? I saw one guy paid 35 GBP for it, that would be very nice :-)

No, that is an extremely high price, IMO. I paid around $25-$35 for mine including postage, although that was a few years ago. Keep looking! I'd set up a search notification on eBay. And good luck!

-Larry

NOONE has them for that kind of price anymore, Larry. (And if you find an individual who sells one that cheap, he's a FOOL!)

Those things are like GOLD nowadayze. Acard does not even have the chip made for it any longer (Ive talked to them via Email).. $270.00 is an "average" EBAY/AMAZON price.

http://www.vesalia.de has them for about half that, brand new. But still.. This is WAY THE HELL out of the price range of what most people are willing to pay for a drive..

I will sell the 73gig drive, with Adaptor, preconfigured, tested, with SpartaDOS 3.2G installed, ready to just "plug-in and Boot up" along with a v1.40 EPROM for $25.00+shipping.. (this is $10.00 above my cost for the stuff).

post-8775-129745167927_thumb.jpg

Edited by MEtalGuy66

-Larry

NOONE has them for that kind of price anymore, Larry. (And if you find an individual who sells one that cheap, he's a FOOL!)

Those things are like GOLD nowadayze. Acard does not even have the chip made for it any longer (Ive talked to them via Email).. $270.00 is an "average" EBAY/AMAZON price.

http://www.vesalia.de has them for about half that, brand new. But still.. This is WAY THE HELL out of the price range of what most people are willing to pay for a drive..

I will sell the 73gig drive, with Adaptor, preconfigured, tested, with SpartaDOS 3.2G installed, ready to just "plug-in and Boot up" along with a v1.40 EPROM for $25.00+shipping.. (this is $10.00 above my cost for the stuff).

I'd be very interested in that. I know shipping would make it quite expensive for me, but that's nothing to be done with, since I am in Norway. What adaptor are you including here? It's not the big Adaptec A4000 (I think)? Because that's too big for my desk and I have two already. Thanks for all your replies

-Larry

Found this though : http://www.span.com/product_info.php?products_id=1058

I will sell the 73gig drive, with Adaptor, preconfigured, tested, with SpartaDOS 3.2G installed, ready to just "plug-in and Boot up" along with a v1.40 EPROM for $25.00+shipping.. (this is $10.00 above my cost for the stuff). [/b]

I'll take it Ken. I am too lazy to make that myself. I'll take care of the shipping. ;)

On ebay is the Acard 7720UW

It is perfect. I bought 3 of these from that fellow, and his goods and service are good.

There are 9 available, and shipping all over the world.

It is not so expensive. Around 57 euro.

Check here:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3305235057091?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=330523505709&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

It's the UW version, but when you get yourself an 68 pin male to 50 pin male adaptor you are done too!

I have it in that way. Works great. Has firmware 3.89 so you don't have to upgrade to newer.

Works with CF adapter.

Beware: with CF cards above 512MB you'll need a DMA enabled CF card reader, otherwise it won't work properly (at least not on BlackBox)

Good luck!

Marius