IGNORED

MONKEY LABS IS BACK!

Cebus Capucinis

NOTE: These are not for sale (yet). This is just showing project two in completion. I will post a sale thread when I get enough time off from work to make a production run of these, likely at least 10. :)

Monkey Labs has been off-radar for quite a few months, not producing anything....not innovating....not creating new things from the dregs of dead Atari products....

post-24585-129842574615_thumb.jpgpost-24585-129842574792_thumb.jpg

OR HAVE WE?

Monkey Labs has actually been working diligently on PROJECT NUMBER TWO, and after some failed attempts, a lot of beer, and some four-letter words yelled, Monkey Labs is proud to announce the completion of the first piece of PROJECT NUMBER TWO....

post-24585-129842651689_thumb.jpgpost-24585-129842651737_thumb.jpgpost-24585-129842651845_thumb.jpgpost-24585-12984265193_thumb.jpgpost-24585-129842651994_thumb.jpgpost-24585-129842652067_thumb.jpg

The Atari CX-40 Joystick NIGHT LIGHT! This is the first model and is therefore a prototype, so it is a bit rough in places, but I have finally discovered the complete technique to cram everything I need to inside the CX-40 case to the point where the joystick looks good! I did use a more beat up joystick as the prototype model so that's a little rough as well, but now that I've mastered the basic technique, it should be easy to produce these in larger amounts that look absolutely gorgeous.

I haven't decorated the shade yet, obviously, but you've all seen the larger model shades so it will basically follow the same pattern. :) There's a gap between the joystick top and the shade because the only E12 fixtures I could find were these strange chandelier ones that Home Depot had with these metal fixtures underneath the ceramic. I assume it's to screw them into a fixture for a hanging chandelier or ceiling fan, and in future pieces I will either be purchasing an E12 fixture that does not have this, or grinding off the metal so it's simply a solid piece into the ceramic. It doesn't conduct anything for wiring or whatnot, so it's completely unessential and can be removed.

The fire button on the joystick functions as the on/off switch for the night light as shown here:

Works great! The button is a little raised to fit the on/off pushbutton toggle in it, but I don't think it looks so out of the ordinary to be a problem, and if it does, it's something that can be fixed. :thumbsup: This is using a 40W E12 candelabra bulb and is quite brighter than I would want it to be, but that was because Wal-Mart had them for $2 for a 6-pack as opposed to $2 each for the 15-25W bulbs I would normally use. I was concerned about it being another failure (I have tried this three times before success, finding problems with the fire button spacing on the joystick preventing the switch from working) and didn't want it to be an expensive failure so I cheaped out on the bulbs (we have a ceiling fan in the living room that utilizes these bulbs so if it failed I could use the 40W bulbs in that).

Monkey Labs -- making Atari art projects seem so easy, a monkey could do them!

(NOTE: Prototype is not currently for sale. I do have a single joystick available to create a first-production run nightlight. If you want me to make you the first production run, PM me an offer. Otherwise, I will be creating a thread in the somewhat near (think a month or so) future provided I have time to produce these.)

(NOTE TWO: This is just to show the project in completion, hence it is in the Atari 2600 forum. It is not for sale, nor am I actively advertising a sale, so before you rush to say "THIS BELONGS IN THE MARKETPLACE", that's why I placed it here.)

[NOTE THREE: My house is a mess!]

• Like 5

You may want to consider covering the entire light fixture with a shade. Perhaps a generic Fuji Symbol with the words Atari 2600 wold look good on this shade... (Like the shorts and sleep pants that were sold at Target for Christmas)

The entire fixture will be covered with the shade for future ones, as I will get a fixture that doesn't have that strange metal 'dongle' on the end of it making it taller. Provided I cannot find one, I will just buy more of these Home Depot ones and grind the metal portion off so it will be completely covered. :)

I was thinking along the same lines -- box scans and label scans won't look so good on this one so I will need to make a pattern of some sort for it. :thumbsup:

Oh, I should mention, for the record, the pictures I posted of the 'workspace' on my kitchen counter with the packs of cigarettes....that was from the first attempt approximately 5 months ago. LOL!

I have since quit smoking (in fact, I believe I quit right after these pics were taken!), and even when I did smoke, I only ever did it outdoors and never let it get near any of my projects nor my collection. :thumbsup: Smoke-free home and a smoke-free Cebus!

• Like 4

Cool lamp. I bet you could turn a paddle into a nice dimmer switch. I'll leave the details to the experts.

Hmm....basic potentiometer.....shouldn't be a problem at all! :D The question is whether the pot can handle the voltage and the current....hmmm.... :ponder:

Nah, project three isn't going to be lighting-related. I've already sort of got a plan formulating.

Oh, I should mention, for the record, the pictures I posted of the 'workspace' on my kitchen counter with the packs of cigarettes....that was from the first attempt approximately 5 months ago. LOL!

I have since quit smoking (in fact, I believe I quit right after these pics were taken!), and even when I did smoke, I only ever did it outdoors and never let it get near any of my projects nor my collection. :thumbsup: Smoke-free home and a smoke-free Cebus!

The lamp is awesome :thumbsup: The fact that you are smoke free is even better than the lamp. Keep up the good work Cebus. Cheers, FB :cool:

• Like 2

Congrats on being smoke-free my friend!

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I don't really have an addictive personality, but for some reason when I get into perma-stress mode I feel this crazy urge to smoke. My job at the time was absolutely atrocious and completely intolerable on every wavelength (corporation regularly lied to me, my boss treated me with nothing but open disdain and disrespect on a daily basis, etc.) so I was always stressed out, which led to the smoking. I have since quit that job 4 months ago and have been working at a job I enjoy a lot more. Once the stress was gone, the desire to continue smoking disappeared as well! :)

[NOTE FOUR:] Equipment, parts, Tecate & American Spirit's Light on the kitchen counter. :D

I like looking at the "background" of pictures that people post. Good fun. :)

As far as the project goes, I'll only buy one if it has a DB9 connector on the end. Make a corresponding wall socket, to plug the joystick in. What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Thanks guys! I don't really have an addictive personality, but for some reason when I get into perma-stress mode I feel this crazy urge to smoke. My job at the time was absolutely atrocious and completely intolerable on every wavelength (corporation regularly lied to me, my boss treated me with nothing but open disdain and disrespect on a daily basis, etc.) so I was always stressed out, which led to the smoking. I have since quit that job 4 months ago and have been working at a job I enjoy a lot more. Once the stress was gone, the desire to continue smoking disappeared as well! :)

I love smoking, if they were not so bad for me I would do it ALL the time! I found my e-cig is a pretty nice substitute though :lust:

Nice lamps, I still have mine from the first run. Actually, it may have even been one of the first made? (lampshade only) It gets a lot of compliments :)