IGNORED

Atari 8 bit repros at Video 61

BrianC

One per customer also helps to keep prices level. Many companies limit number per customer for many reasons. To prevent resellers for example. Just becaus best buy may have a one per customer, it doesn't mean that they do not care about profit .

One possible reason for atari vendors to have one per customer is to keep the fan base happy, makes them look great

I agree, this is ridiculous, nobody is becoming a millionaire from selling Atari hardware. Dealers are few now, and they need to be supported....

Without getting in the actual subject, which I don't know who was right o who was wrong... I have to say that we have to support our add-on vendor (atarimax (steve) , candle...) for sure. The other vendors, like Best Electronics , B& C and others alike, is great if we can support them, but lete's not forget that they are selling either to make money or to recover losses. Otherwise, they would only charge shipping and handling, but some of this vendor would charge lots of money for some parts...

So, support the ones that treat you nice, support the ones that add something to our A8 computers (add-ons) but let just not support because there are a few of them.

If they are only in it to make money then why do they only sell "one per customer" for some of the titles they sell??? ...that's a bit confusing to me :D

and I prefer to support "vintage" sellers since I like original stuff mostly

I don't think any one is going to buy karateka for $129.99 and resell for $260...I guess it depends on the item but I understnad the explanation

Quite a few years back he used to sell karateka and Summer Games for $29.95 each with no limit. Then he found out that people were buying them from him in quantity and selling them on Ebay for over $100 a pop.

Can't say I blame him for changing his prices and Limiting the items to one per customer.

I don't think any one is going to buy karateka for $129.99 and resell for $260...I guess it depends on the item but I understnad the explanation

Quite a few years back he used to sell karateka and Summer Games for $29.95 each with no limit. Then he found out that people were buying them from him in quantity and selling them on Ebay for over $100 a pop.

Can't say I blame him for changing his prices and Limiting the items to one per customer.

I'm confused! honestly, if people can sell it for $100 on ebay why wouldn't he? myatari.com sells stuff on ebay all the time ...why would v61 not sell karateka on ebay? probably cause he can't get $130 ea. and is driving the price up as time goes on :D

i dunno, maybe I'm just dumb ...don't answer that!

This is just my Personal view on the matter.

Way to go Brian! You have exposed what most of us have known for a long time. Just as most towns have a bad side so does the Atari venders that are out there. I for one would not ask Lance a thing because the truth is something he does not know how to do. I am very happy the owner "Richard" of the products is getting his Royalties. More often than you think they do not.

Stephen J. Carden

I think this says it all:

No problem Brian. Thank you for contacting us in the first place. We certainly didn't mean to get you involved. As it turned out Video61 did indeed have TONS of finished goods they purchased from different sources decades ago; but, they (as well as Atari Sales) do make cartridges today and that is not permitted-well it wasn't but we'll be working out a royalty structure with Atari Sales (who sells carts to Video61) so everyone benefits.

Thank you again for your kind understanding.

Have a great weekend,

Richard

------Original Message------

To: Richard Spitalny

Subject: Re: Email about video 61

Sent: Feb 25, 2011 9:35 PM

ok. Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the tone in last message. It seems Video 61 wasn't honest with me and I'm sorry I was hasty.

On Feb 25, 2011, at 8:54 PM, rspitalny@firststarsoftware.com wrote:

Brian,

I'm sorry you feel you were caught in the middle. We NEVER mentioned you or anyone by name.

We did deep research before contacting them.

BOTH companies DO manufacture new copies of our games and this had to be resolved and has been to everyone's mutual satisfaction.

The inventory that Video61 has, that is original is different.

We have no idea how this somehow made its way back to you but I do apologize.

The conversation with Video61 occurred late on a Friday and Dianne had left and she wanted to contact you herself and had no idea that this couldn't wait until Monday.

Again, we're sorry,

Richard

(President, First Star Software)

------Original Message------

To: info@firststarsoftware.com

Subject: Email about video 61

Sent: Feb 25, 2011 8:11 PM

Dear Firststar,

I had a nasty reply from video 61 due to your mistake in going straight to accusing them. I asked if they were legit with Boulderdash becuase I thought you would know for sure about this matter rather than causing a scene. I was thinking of buying from them and wanted to check to see if it was licensed from you. I'm especially disappointed that you never sent me a reply back telling me that they were legit and left me to be the scapegoat.

-Brian Clark

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Here's what Video 61 sent:

Brian,

why didn't you just ask me first? some of the carts i sell are loose carts, and i would let you know they are loose, because that is all i got from atari. i must have a 100 or more loose carts of each of these titles, pacman, ozzys orchard, abracadabra, as well as many others.

so if you only want boxed ones, please ask. its what most of my customers do. boulderdash is loose, but astrochase is boxed, etc.

i bought many many games out of atari, i also spent much time and money acquiring other games. visit scott adams of adventure international, and you will see a direct link on his site, to mine. he gave me permission to port his games to cart, and sell them. i used to pay him a license fee, but he kindly dropped that after about a decade. i do not need constant fighting over this. it will be hard to swallow the cost of this.

you could start by mentioning on atariage, that you goofed, and i have the right to sell my inventory, otherwise it will cast a pall over my business that i do not need.

lance

www.atarisales.com

On Feb 25, 2011, at 6:59 PM, Brian Clark wrote:

I'm sorry about firststar's response to my email to them. I asked them about your games becuase I was interested in ordering Boulderdash and I thought they would know for sure if any deals were made with them. Anyway, if you read my posts in the Atariage forum, you would know I asked becuase I was interested in some of the games in the store and I like to play it safe before I order things. I don't know what to do to make it up, but I feel Firststar is more at fault here.

-Brian Clark aka BrianC

Maybe "threats" was a bit harsh, but in this very topic you tell me I owe you over this and then you talk to me in a condesending tone telling me to make your business lookmgood. That comes across as shady to me.

i am putting this behind me.

• Like 1