IGNORED

Easter Tournament: Funspot XII

8 members have voted

1. 1. Out of the Possible 8, How Many AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Word Records Will Be Broken In This Tourney?

• None
    • One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • Eight
  2. 2. Out Of the Possible 8, Which AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC World Record Will Most Likely Be Broken?

• Bank Panic
    • Defender
    • Lady Bug
    • Mouse Trap
    • Qix
    • Sinistar
    • Star Castle
    • Toobin'

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I got over 20k at Defender, can i get a whoa Bundy! lol :)

Defender 20,600

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's one record set and no one even picked Defender.

I voted for four records being broken. I picked Star Castle because I know I can surpass the 16K mark but also I had a hunch that Defender would be broken as well (but not by me). I can beat the score on Lady Bug and I figured at least one more would be broken on some other title by someone else.

I got over 20k at Defender, can i get a whoa Bundy! lol :)

Defender 20,600

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's one record set and no one even picked Defender.

I voted for four records being broken. I picked Star Castle because I know I can surpass the 16K mark but also I had a hunch that Defender would be broken as well (but not by me). I can beat the score on Lady Bug and I figured at least one more would be broken on some other title by someone else.

I almost broke the record the last time we played Defender.

I didn't think i would break it this time.

The record for Mouse Trap is going to be tough to beat.

Does it matter if my scores were recent or from a couple months ago?

Because this will make a HUGE difference. And I mean HUGE.

All scores submitted should have been played during the tournament weeks

...damn. There goes my Defender score. :(

But I still think I can claim at least one game here...

First time submitting in a MAME tourney. Cool selection of games, some of these I've never played, so it's a good chance to dig into some new stuff. Prelim entries after night #1:

Qix - 41,502 (damn this game gets tough quickly!)

Sinnistar - 32,075 (this game is difficult, too... laughably so)

Vanguard - 24,000

Star Castle - 5820 (Not sure why I suck so bad at this one, needs work)

Regarding Sinnistar, something doesn't feel quite right about the way it controls. Does the original use an analog stick? If so, I think that would sure help getting the ship to go where I want it. I spend half my time doing friggin' circles around crystals that I knock off the asteroids before I am able to pick them up (or the little red bastards come and steal them). :(

post-27528-0-96831900-1303220427_thumb.jpg

post-27528-0-52148600-1303220439_thumb.jpg

post-27528-0-45108600-1303220450_thumb.jpg

post-27528-0-60553900-1303220462_thumb.jpg

Regarding Sinnistar, something doesn't feel quite right about the way it controls. Does the original use an analog stick? If so, I think that would sure help getting the ship to go where I want it. I spend half my time doing friggin' circles around crystals that I knock off the asteroids before I am able to pick them up (or the little red bastards come and steal them). :(

It uses a 49-way optical joystick. If you are playing with "anything but" you're going to be behind the 8 ball. The best I've been able to do with an 8 way joystick is 89K.

It uses a 49-way optical joystick. If you are playing with "anything but" you're going to be behind the 8 ball. The best I've been able to do with an 8 way joystick is 89K.

Mmhmm, that's right, unfortunately.

I did manage to get 140k or so on Midway Arcade Treasures, using the D pad, so it was 8 directions, so a high score is possible... its just unnecessarily difficult.

I'm thinking about firing up my desktop tonight and I have a screen capture program to record that I use for games to record some gameplay.

I noticed that youtube has zero good Qix players on it, so I can show you guys some strategy. What I like to do is make a small column up from the bottom, about 1/3 the way from, then make another column and grow from that one about 1/3 the way from the right. The qix usually attracts to the first column, allowing you to close in around him in short column steps, until he's slowly boxed in. Then when you're ready to close in, make small columns until there's only a short bit of space left, then fill in that last line with a slow draw.

When 2 qix come up, I like to use a single column to try to split the qix 2 times or so. Once you complete this stage, it goes to as fast as the 2nd stage, so if you're not comfortable with 2 super quick qix, keep splitting them up. What's nice about splitting them is that it doubles, triples, quadruples, every time you split the score goes up by 1x. Then what you can do is do the dual column again, then instead of trying to trap the two qix, close up the right side with slow lines. 4x the slow line draw is a LOT of points. Then split, repeat.

If you're trying to progress through the levels, do the dual column like I explained up there, but be really careful, its super tough to get them both trapped. I only did it a few times in all my times playing. Also once you hit the two qix, if you have a chance to close them in, use the fast draw, don't worry about the points. If you are... repeat above with the splittling of the qix.

Edited by keilbaca

Worked on Bank Panic last night for a little bit. Yet another game I’d never even heard of but am now glad that I’ve tried. I came really close to just skipping this one because the attract mode does a terrible job of explaining how the hell the game works and I didn’t know what I was doing for the first several tries (I ended up hitting the internet to get gameplay instructions). Even after getting the gist of how to play, I was still shaking my head at how quickly you’re expected to react (especially if you’ve had a few beers :) ). Very cool game—great pace and quite addictive.

post-27528-0-15282000-1303310890_thumb.jpg

Who voted for 5?

I think I did, I do not see an * next to any of the selection!

That's now 5 records broken...

I broke one of yours yesterday (sinistar) so you just had to broke one of mine ;)