IGNORED

RAM 320XE

ctirad

• 2 weeks later...

I want one of these as well, but I'm looking to have the full ECI connector on there so I can use my IDEPlus with it. Not sure if this initial small run has that already or not.

Yup, want one too !

Uh oops.....I want a XL version, sorry :D

I think you missed the pre-order for the XL version a couple years ago and I ain't sellin' mine! ;-)

I heard a rumor he's planning a new version of the RAM 320XL. I'm not sure if it's another run of the previous design or if it's been redesigned with PBI pass-through support like this XE version.

There will not be PBI passthrough on the upcoming RAM320/576XL. The small footprint and vertical design just does not allow it.

Bummer.... I really prefer to use PBI devices for mass storage and internal RAM expansions are such a squeeze in a 600XL. Probably cheapest to just get an SIO2SD for the 600XL. I still have my old RAM 320XL module.

Yes. PBI would be nice, but FWIW, the Internal MyIDE (flash) works very well in my 800XL with the Ram 320XL. Much faster than SIO2SD -- just a tick slower than IDE+2. But I use MyDos on my setups.

I wish that Steve had gone ahead with the plans to make an Internal MyIDE-II with multiple OS, etc., but just wasn't enough demand to justify the work/cost.

-Larry

That's what the SDX MyIDE driver is designed to avoid... But you must use SDX.

Yeah I used it for a long time with the SDX driver before I got the IDEPlus. Had an old version of SIDE loader installed too. There was just a lot of software that didn't run. SIDE loader didn't get support for booting ATR images from MyIDE while I was asleep did it?

Bummer.... I really prefer to use PBI devices for mass storage and internal RAM expansions are such a squeeze in a 600XL.

I should make a PBI extender as a separate board. It would be easier than to rebuild the RAM card. It's quite hard to route 50 signals from one side of th eboard to the another on a two layer PCB when you have lot of SMD components in between.

Probably cheapest to just get an SIO2SD for the 600XL.

SIO2SD or SDrive (ideally with Qmeg for fast SIO) aren't bad at all. I personally prefer SIO over PBI storage because of the 100% compatibility and more than acceptable speed.

If you get to the stage of wanting to fit internal upgrades to a 600XL, note that

Bummer.... I really prefer to use PBI devices for mass storage and internal RAM expansions are such a squeeze in a 600XL.

Ultimate 1MB fits in a 600XL just fine, if you're considering fitting some kind of internal upgrade anyway.

I am intrigued by the Ultimate 1MB upgrade in my already 64K upgraded 600XL. Explain to me why I NEED a 1MB RAM upgrade.

One word - SIDE2. That coupled with the Ultimate 1MB upgrade will provide an Atari user with everything he'll need period (unless you want VBXE)!

There will not be PBI passthrough on the upcoming RAM320/576XL. The small footprint and vertical design just does not allow it.

While I understand others interest in this (pass-thru), I'm fine by it. The entire point of this is a QUICK plug-in RAM upgrade. Daisy-chaining PBI devices could introduce instability, as has been discussed by real know-how people like MetalGuy66 here (PHI timing, and other concepts that are beyond my understanding). Keeping the plug-in RAM expansion as simple as possible (as you did with the RAM 320XL) is probably a good move. People who want elaborate PBI installations are likely technical enough to get an internal RAM upgrade, and in fact, that would probably be more reliable than daisy-chaining PBI devices, anyway.

What I'm in the market for is something I can slap on the back of a standard 130XE and have big-time RAM (like RAM 320XL did) , and nothing else. It will be impossible to meet everybody's demands, although they do have good points in bringing them up. I have Ultimate 1MB and Incognito on my shelf, but I lack the skills to install them. Until I find a skillful installer, I am looking forward to RAM320/575/whatever XE to get the job done in seconds.

One word - SIDE2. That coupled with the Ultimate 1MB upgrade will provide an Atari user with everything he'll need period (unless you want VBXE)!

This is very true!

The only thing it lacks in this situation is portability. I mean: as soon as you chose this way of atari-life, you are stuck to that particular upgraded atari (unless you upgrade more of your atari's). For most people that is not a real problem, but I experienced this as a downside. I love to change from one atari to another from time to time, so that's why I concentrate now on external solutions only.

But again… I agree that the combination SIDE2 + Ultimate 1MB is extremely powerful and versatile.

Edited by ProWizard

What if the Atari user wants to use a productivity (or other) cartridge such as Action!, etc.? How would that work?

-Larry

• Like 1