IGNORED

RAM 320XE

ctirad

I will start a new thread.

BTW, does anyone know a good and cheap distributor of Xilinx CPLD in Europe? Farnell is expensive, RS even more expensive, Mouser does not have Xilinx at all and TME has excellent price, but they don't have the particular components in stock.

Edited by ctirad

I will start a new thread.

BTW, does anyone know a good and cheap distributor of Xilinx CPLD in Europe? Farnell is expensive, RS even more expensive, Mouser does not have Xilinx at all and TME has excellent price, but they don't have the particular components in stock.

Digikey does carry Xilinx CPLDs at lower prices than Farnell. I don't know what particular CPLD you are using, so I just choose a couple that both carried for the examples below.

XC9572XL-10TQG100C

Digikey Germany: € 2.49 each (1598 available)

Farnell Germany: 3.58 each, € 339/100 (166 available)

XC95144XL-10TQG100C

Digikey Germany: 5.05 each, 434.59/100 (2943 available)

Farnell Germany: € 6.34 each, € 580/100 (106 available)

The cold reset empty cart thing can damage a good bank switching cart yes? Is there a way to prevent that?

This memory upgrade will allow a cartidge and pbi/eci and sep antic access...

I guess at this point a complete re-description of the finalized project would be cool.

Many ideas and much discussion is making it hard to know what's what...

Digikey does carry Xilinx CPLDs at lower prices than Farnell. I don't know what particular CPLD you are using, so I just choose a couple that both carried for the examples below.

Yes I know, but Digikey ships from USA which means additional VAT and customs procedures.

Here is the preliminary version of user manual for the RAM320XE/576. Any corrections of the grammar, typos and overal czenglish are welcome. ;)

attachicon.gifRAM320XE_english_unfinished.pdf

Okay,

I did proof-read your manual and the czenglish (czech+english) version has now become a denglish (deutsch+english) version... ;-)

All I could find were a few typos and spelling errors. Think someone else could do the proof-reading better than me...

Used the old 80s RTF (Rich-Text-Format) for the "corrected" version and like a teacher I marked the errors with red colour... ;-)

RAM320XE_english_unfinished.rtf

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking out loud about the vertical ECI pass-thru...

It strikes me that one should be able to remove the case and desolder the cart adapter, then solder in a regular 130XE ECI (horizontal). These were still available from BEST when I checked and ordered a couple maybe two years ago. The case would have to go, but it should give you the ability to use Black Box, MIO, etc. It's a nice case, so I'd have to think about this long and hard, but it seems like a viable alternative. Note that I don't have one in-hand, so this is speculation, and you would likely need to adjust the "feet" on a Black Box to make the height correct.

-Larry

I still like the idea of the eci/pbi adaptor board with the slots.... it makes perfect sense... it would help maxflash sparta users out with the extra slots... it would allow multiple pbi cards like the ram expansion/mio/carts and diags co-exist... the black box would need some code changed but would eventually work in the end.. I think the right angle connector is a good compromise if clearance allows it in the meantime.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a problem.
Durning completing the production versions with the Covox I found that using the $D280 address produces horrible distored sounds on the pokey output when used. It is same for any $D2xx address.

You can try it yourself with NEOtreacer set to one of this address or with a XL DIGIT music demo. You don't have to have any Covox hardware for that check.

I'm not sure if it is the NEOtracker bug or it is deeper problem. Mappaing the atari says:

Locations 53776 to 54015 ($D210 to $D2FF) are duplications of locations
53760 to 53775 and have no particular use at present.

But it seems that there are mirrored Pokey registers in fact.

Maybe I should return the Covox address to the most used $D600? I have to sort it out before I start sending any of the Covox enhanced RAM cards.

• Like 1

Hello Ctirad

$D600 is used by PBI devices like the Blackbox, MIO, etc. VBXE can also use this address.

All "unused" hardware address ranges are duplicates. PIA for instance uses $D300 - $D303. This means that $D304, $D308, $D30B, etc. are duplicates of $D300. $D305, ... are duplicates of $D301. POKEY and GTIA are similar, although they use larger address ranges IIRC.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello Ctirad

Yes, $D6xx (and $D1xx) are reserved for PBI devices, so older PBI devices use (read: are fixed to) these addresses.

$D5xx is reserved for cartridges, but most cartridges use only a couple of addresses. The cartridge experts here on AA can tell you which addresses are used/unused. But this should help: http://atariwiki.strotmann.de/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Cartridges

Sincerely

Mathy

PS maybe it is possible to install an extra row of switches, so the user would be able to select an address in the $D5xx range that doesn't collide with the cartridges (s)he is already using.

Hmmm,

the Covox here is only an "extra" for the RAM 320/576 XE. The RAM enhancement is still the main hardware...

Afaik, MIO and VBXE already have XRAM available. Why would someone who already has a MIO or VBXE (and thus who already has XRAM available) require the RAM 320/576 XE to be in the same Atari computer ?!?

Hello Andreas

Ctirad is still working on his hardware, so why not try to avoid as many incompatibilities as possible? In another thread, people are talking about devices not working together. For both the user and the developer life is a lot easier, if incompatibility is avoided as much as possible. With some hardware, it's hard to predict what will and will not work together, but if you start using for instance $D6xx, you know beforehand that your hardware will be incompatible to some hardware from the get go.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS and to you the Covox might be an "extra", but those of us that want this "extra" (and are willing to pay extra for it) want it to work. With as much hardware as possible.

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 1

Well, why the $D2xx adresses are consiered free for use when they are conflict with Pokey, which is in every machine? I don't get it.

And CharlieChaplins is right. Who have internal mods it would most probably does not care about the external device with a duplicate function.

Also, the covox was originally planned as a bonus almost for free, but it looks like I'm spending all my free time last couple of weeks with this damned device instead of making something more useful namely finishing the RAM576XL.

Hello Andreas

Ctirad is still working on his hardware, so why not try to avoid as many incompatibilities as possible? In another thread, people are talking about devices not working together. For both the user and the developer life is a lot easier, if incompatibility is avoided as much as possible. With some hardware, it's hard to predict what will and will not work together, but if you start using for instance $D6xx, you know beforehand that your hardware will be incompatible to some hardware from the get go.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS and to you the Covox might be an "extra", but those of us that want this "extra" (and are willing to pay extra for it) want it to work. With as much hardware as possible.

Hmm okay.

Some years ago, hardwaredoc from Abbuc had the idea to create a cart. with Covox inside, alas he never did and he surely never will - but maybe someone else could come up with a Covox on cart ?!? Not sure what adress this Covox-cart would use then (maybe set to some $D5xx adress, but maybe also changeable to other adresses)... I would buy such a cart for sure !

offtopic:

Somewhere I have read that there is a new soundboard available for the A8 named Evie, it has SID, Yamaha and other soundchips onboard (maybe also Covox). To me it looked huge, but I do not really know what space it requires inside the A8 or what adresses and/or hardware it will conflict with... My first question as always: Does it have SDX onboard ? I cannot have enough polish A8 hardware with SDX onboard...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Well, why the $D2xx adresses are consiered free for use when they are conflict with Pokey, which is in every machine? I don't get it.

And CharlieChaplins is right. Who have internal mods it would most probably does not care about the external device with a duplicate function.

Also, the covox was originally planned as a bonus almost for free, but it looks like I'm spending all my free time last couple of weeks with this damned device instead of making something more useful namely finishing the RAM576XL.

Terribly sorry to hear this, as I was one pushing for the $D280 address. Maybe that is another reason my Simple Stereo 2 never worked?

Hello guys

$D280 is unused by the Atari. But I have no clue as to why using it produces the effects Ctirad mentions. Maybe some hardware guru can tell us why. If $D280 can be used (without the above mentioned problems), I'ld prefer that address to any other.

I've talked to HARdwareDoc at more then one meeting in the last couple of years. His Thunderblaster cartridge will become available as soon as he finds some time. And I'll be one of the first to buy one.

Sincerely

Mathy