IGNORED

RAM 320XE

ctirad

The supported RAM modes are:

576K RAMBO

attachicon.gifmode576Krambo.JPG

320K COMPY SHOP

attachicon.gifmode320Kcompyshop.JPG

The 130XE and 320K COMPY SHOP modes support independend CPU/ANTIC banking.

Great !

So you have one of the best upgrades regarding compatibility ! The 576k Rambo mode offers indeed both Compyshop and Rambo banks, the software (demos, games, tools, DOS) can simply choose whatever mode it requires. I know this works very well, because I already have two 800XL computers with 512k SRAM-upgrades that work exactly like this: 512k XRAM with blocks 02468ACE and each block with banks 37BF.

Next, Atari Basic and Selftest are still there and some software that does not like more than 4 banks per block like e.g. TurboDOS, BiboDOS, SuperDOS, X-Demo, etc. will also work with this setup (whereas this software does not work with the U1MB in 1MB or 576k mode, because U1MB uses 4 blocks with 8 banks or 8 blocks with 8 banks there and alas, the software does not like that; not a fault of U1MB, but a fault of the software). Last not least, even the sep. Antic mode is there, so the few programs (six or seven programs atm) utilizing it will also work...

Since I still have two 800XL computers with 64k RAM, I am now very interested in the RAM576XL...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

There is not much you can do on the hardware side to perform true hard reset. You can set the cart select signal and fool the OS to jump to the non existing cart space and then press reset. It usually works but it is not true cold start. The best is probably to install Qmeg ROM that performs hard reset when you press shift + reset.

Edited by ctirad

I finally see something that can truely be used, I am actually quite interested now!

It was perfectly usable before, just not in 576K mode without a minor mod. Even the RAM 320XL he built without compy shop or 576K modes was very usable. Most software won't use 576K of RAM and even less software uses Compy Shop modes. Not any more usable, just slightly cooler. I have an older RAM 320XL upgrade and a Mega-Hz internal 576K upgrade and I get the same mileage out of both devices for the most part.

I'd like to get one of these for my 130XE though, I don't want to risk the board doing a Peterson upgrade now that replacements are over $100.

There is not much you can do on the hardware side to perform true hard reset. You can set the cart select signal and fool the OS to jump to the non existing cart space and then press reset. It usually works but it is not true cold start. The best is probably to install Qmeg ROM that performs hard reset when you press shift + reset.

Btw. This is ok for me.

Why do I need this?

I'm a coder. And I code on atari 8bit hardware. Never on cross-assembler or whatever PC/Mac tool.

But coding and testing means that the Atari 8bit will lock from time to time.

Since I use the Ramdisk a lot in this process I can't (and don't want to) switch off my atari. So I need a way to force my Atari to reboot without a power cycle.

A battery or a cold reset solution would be desirable in that case.

But if it is not possible, or you don't want to do it, or you do not see chance to do it… don't feel pressed or rushed. I'm still hoping it will be possible.

6 or 7 programs? I've only seen 2.... VideoBlitz demo and the Wedge. Is there more?

Well,

I have been asked this several times, maybe we should include that information in the A8FAQ ?

1) Video Blitz by Helvetica Bold: http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1140

- there also exists the "Video" demo by TeBe that does not require sep. Antic access: http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1139

and a fixed version of Video Blitz by HiasSoft that does not require sep. Antic access: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/187789-atari-xe-demo-video/?do=findComment&comment=2372129

(post nr. 8 in this topic)

2) The [sparta-DOS] Wedge by Ed Bachmann

3) TL Cars by Tomasz Lewandowski (fixed to work by Fandal!): http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=6725

there also exists a patched version by Homesoft which does not require sep. Antic access: http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?dl=400

(disk 400 in the Homesoft collection)

4) Apple-II-Emulator by ???: http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=B.+Emulatory&tg=Apple+II+emulator#Apple_II_emulator

(it would be nice to have a version of this program that works without sep. Antic access)

5) RGB-Slideshow by metalguy: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/155745-metalguy66s-slide-show/?do=findComment&comment=1909897

(Ken appended the 3 sep. R,G,B pictures into one big file, maybe someone could divide them into 3 files again - then I could create a version that works without sep. Antic access easily; some pics use standard Gr. 8 with 320x192 resolution, some use Gr. 8 with 320x200 resolution)

6) Timekeeper demo by New Generation: http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4648

Hmm, thought this demo would work on a 320k machine with Rambo / TOMS / AM and blocks 8ACE and therefore does not require sep. Antic access ? Have to test it again...

Afaik, there are 1-2 more programs that require sep. Antic access (which I do not remember atm), but nothing spectacular, so for me sep. Antic access is not a must have.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Btw. This is ok for me.

Why do I need this?

I'm a coder. And I code on atari 8bit hardware. Never on cross-assembler or whatever PC/Mac tool.

But coding and testing means that the Atari 8bit will lock from time to time.

Since I use the Ramdisk a lot in this process I can't (and don't want to) switch off my atari. So I need a way to force my Atari to reboot without a power cycle.

A battery or a cold reset solution would be desirable in that case.

But if it is not possible, or you don't want to do it, or you do not see chance to do it… don't feel pressed or rushed. I'm still hoping it will be possible.

Yes , it would be neat, but there are other alternatives for you, aren't there? IDE+2, Sparta/SDX "COLD",QMEG, MYBios, Black Box, and others, I'm sure. At least these would satisfy most users, I'd think. There are also ramdisks that survive a cold start but depending on the dos, probably. Not trying to "rain on your parade," but I just think that there are enough alternatives that others are not clamoring for a reset switch. (IMO)

-Larry

• Like 1

Yes , it would be neat, but there are other alternatives for you, aren't there? IDE+2, Sparta/SDX "COLD",QMEG, MYBios, Black Box, and others, I'm sure. At least these would satisfy most users, I'd think. There are also ramdisks that survive a cold start but depending on the dos, probably. Not trying to "rain on your parade," but I just think that there are enough alternatives that others are not clamoring for a reset switch. (IMO)

-Larry

Hi larry,

If I'm informed correct this memory upgrade will not have a pass through, so IDE+ and Blackbox are no solutions.

Then Sparta/SDX -> only external solution then on a cart -> when my Atari freezes due to a stupid coding error from my side I will not be able to reboot (how to type in COLD command on a completely frozen atari?)

MyBios -> only when MyBIOS in rom -> not on a stock atari. A freezing atari will not get alive with MyBIOS-in-RAM.

Qmeg -> only built in solution-> no stock atari.

So that is WHY I want that cold-boot button on that ram expansion.

I want to stick to original atari's. That is (I guess) one of the main reasons this external memory expansion is created right. To turn a stock atari into an upgraded atari.

So Qmeg and Mybios and all other solutions that require modifications to the atari are not suitable for my needs.

A workaround would be that I use SIDE, since that one has a button itself. It's a solution yes. But not my first choice.

Like I said before: it's ok when this memory upgrade won't have the reset button or the battery backup feature, but I still hope it will be there.

Just like I don't see why (suddenly?) this covox feature should be added. I really don't see any use for that personally, but obviously other people like it. That's ok, no problem at all.

Hi Marius-

I must have missed that -- the last I remember, the RAM320XE (production version) would have an optional pass-thru and optional gold contacts. The prototypes that he sold did not have it. There was quite a clamor for a pass-thru, and I thought Ctirad had agreed. (?) I'll look back through the thread...

-Larry

So that is WHY I want that cold-boot button on that ram expansion.

As long as you don't have a real cart inserted (not sure if RAM320/576XE has a passthrough cart connector) you could force a cold boot by changing the state of RD5 and then pressing reset. Just hook up a switch between RD5 on the cart port and +5V. You might need to change the switch to the open postition (meaning "no cart present") and press reset again to boot in a clean state, but at least you have an easy way to force a cold boot without modifying your Atari.

Just don't do this if you have a real cart inserted, especially a bankswitching cart, that could cause damage to the cart!

so long,

Hias

I perfectly understand. I don't code on Atari, but the powerclyclig the atari is annyoning not to mention it is not healthy for the hardware. That is why I installed Qmeg ROM in most of my machines.

The best I can do is to insall an "empty card" style momentary switch into your RAM card.

• Like 1

I must have missed that -- the last I remember, the RAM320XE (production version) would have an optional pass-thru and optional gold contacts.

All production (and preproduction) versions have the cart connector fitted.

All production versions have gold plated PCB.

The ECI pass-through connector is optional, but the PCB is the same, so one can add the ECI connector anytime later.

• Like 1

I perfectly understand. I don't code on Atari, but the powerclyclig the atari is annyoning not to mention it is not healthy for the hardware. That is why I installed Qmeg ROM in most of my machines.

The best I can do is to insall an "empty card" style momentary switch into your RAM card.

That would be awesome! Is there a maximum amount of RAM cards to be ordered when finished? I might go for 5 of those...

In the first wave I'd like to satisfy as much people as possible, so probably there will be some limit like 2pcs per order.

BTW, for the impatients I have one more preproduction device with COVOX and new firmware left for sale. The price is 1400 CZK (roughly equivalent to 65$) including worldwide shipping. The device is 100% functionally equivalent with the production version, it only lacks gold plated PCB.