IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - preorder starts today

drac030

Oh yeah thats true.. I never changed mine... Im sure its probably set to 0..

Ok.. Then it's worked perfectly for me... I havent gone messing with the clock yet, or tried the new SDX version or anything.. But I have made a bunch of partitions and copied an assload of files onto them with hno problems at all..

I even tried it with an excessively LONG ribbon cable, (about 65cm) and had it hooked up like that for quite a while with no problems whatsoever..

USE BANKED
DEVICE ENV
DEVICE SPARTA
DEVICE SIO
DEVICE ATARIDOS
DEVICE RAMDISK
DEVICE COMEXE
DEVICE QUICKED
DEVICE KEY.COM ON
SET PROMPT=$L$P>
SET LWPATH=C:>LW;C:>LW>SPELL
SET LWSDXDEV=1
SET TEMP=C:>TEMP
DEVICE IDEPTIME.SYS

Hal, in this CONFIG.SYS the ENV.SYS entry is before QUICKED, but the crash screen you posted shows QUICKED's install message before ENV.SYS' message. Are you sure that's the proper CONFIG.SYS?

@fjc: hm, looks bad. And odd. I'll keep searching.

EDIT: what is the thing it hangs on? The clock driver?

@rdea: if you don't experience problems, simply don't reflash the BIOS now. The fix was related to the slave drive, I found something that I thought might be related to fjc's "power cycle reluctance".

i should be getting mine today... so if a slave device will be on it, then do the firmware update?

(and you da man :')

sloopy.

Hal, in this CONFIG.SYS the ENV.SYS entry is before QUICKED, but the crash screen you posted shows QUICKED's install message before ENV.SYS' message. Are you sure that's the proper CONFIG.SYS?

Dammit... I'm sorry Drac, the screenshot I posted was taken before I rejigged the CONFIG.SYS order. It's now as posted. I'm not deliberately trying to complicate things, honestly!

Seriously, I don't think I can post reliable results at the moment. I tested the cable again, got errors in RWTEST, so I removed the cable, and had the same problems. So I think I can eliminate the cable. Re-seating the device attached directly to the PBI got rid of the RWTEST errors. I think I'm gonna have to thoroughly clean the PBI contacts, then seat the device carefully and then test your latest firmware. There have just been too many potential variables this evening. One hardly knows where to look first. However, I suspect a mucky PBI edge connector.

I've read quite a few of the posts but I'm think I've seen conflicting information re: the power/XL situation.

If using an 800 XL do you have to have the extra 8 pin power connector hooked up to get anything out of the IDE 2.0, or does the additional power cable just ensure that it's more reliable?

I've hooked my IDE plus 2.0 up to the back of my 800XL, using the parallel ribbon cable but minus the extra power ribbon, should I at least see the LED light up when I switch on?

I've read quite a few of the posts but I'm think I've seen conflicting information re: the power/XL situation.

If using an 800 XL do you have to have the extra 8 pin power connector hooked up to get anything out of the IDE 2.0, or does the additional power cable just ensure that it's more reliable?

I've hooked my IDE plus 2.0 up to the back of my 800XL, using the parallel ribbon cable but minus the extra power ribbon, should I at least see the LED light up when I switch on?

I don't think you'll get anything without a power source or using a modded XL.

You can use an external power source to power the interface and HD, or get power via a modded XL (PBI or using the 8 pin connector). Ken has posted some info in the thread on going the 8-pin route without touching the PBI.

With an unmodified 800XL, you will get nothing..

The 8-pin header supplies power, and also the control signals for SDX and the on-board cart slot on the interface..

There are 3 ways of powering the IDE Plus 2.0 on an 800XL:

1) External 5v PSU hooked to the 2-pin connector on the IDE Plus 2.0..

2) Hook up the 8-pin ribbon (as shown earlier in the thread)

3) INSIDE the 800xl, hookup wires to put +5v on pins 47 and 48 of the PBI bus (the 600XL has this already)..

Whichever method you use, make sure youve got plenty of current-reserve capability in the PSU supplying the +5v, whether that be the 800XL's PSU, or otherwise.

That's an IDE cable.. The problems he is having are related to the connections to the PBI..

I know Ken.

As written here, I mean a PBI-IDE rounded cable instead of standard PBI-IDE flat cable.

It's a better looking cable (perhaps stronger too).

Naah. Its just a regular cable, thats had all the wires separated, and heatshrink tube put around it..

And what it will do is make it very easy to inadvertantly plug the XL end of it in backwards/upside down.. Which, if youve got power on the PBI bus, could have some pretty destructive effects..

Could I connect IDE Plus 2.0 interface to a 1200xl using the MEtalguy66 MIO cart. extenter.

As seen on this thread: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/137612-1200xl-pbi-extender-board-production-run-order-here/page__p__1660858?do=findComment&comment=1660858

TIA

Yep.. But youd need to hook up the appropriate signals for the 8-pin connector if you want the cart slot on the IDE plus 2.0 to work.. They are all available on the 1200XL PBI/cart extender board..

The 1200XL PBI extender board already has power on pins 47 and 48, so the interface, itself should work by simply plugging it in.

I have noted that some of the problems I've had seem to rectify themselves after leaving everything turned off for a few moments (albeit temporarily). It's almost as if something bad is persisting between relatively brisk power-down cycles.

It could only be the interface's RAM contents. I have no idea what time it should remain unpowered to lose contents. Do you use an external power supply?

Could you post your CONFIG.SYS? I placed DEVICE IDEPTIME right after DEVICE SIO, but the damn thing still works ;)

this is a great point - i am currently using an external PS and realized fairly quickly that i needed to cycle the power on it while i was 'playing around' with the device.

@Phil: I have plenty of black heatshrink. :)

Something very wonderful is happening here... all became calm. A delicate mist hung in the early summer air... RWCRC completed two consecutive runs with no errors.

This was after cleaning the PBI contacts with acetone. So at least I know it can still work stably. Now reboots and operates perfectly with Friday's firmware (I see an autobiography title there). When I'm brave enough, I'll test the latest firmware, and then the cable again.

Phil and FJC, my suggestions would be as follows.. If you do make a "round" or "bundled" PBI cable:

1) keep it less than about 35cm for bus capacitance's sake..

2) make sure the orientation of both ends is marked CLEARLY..

3) Spend a few dollars extra and get the Name Brand CardConn connector with gold contacts for the XL end of the cable. It does make a difference..

• Like 1

I just ran my first real test on this thing. I copied approx 8mb (744 files; 77dirs) using the COPY /R function. Source was an APE ATR 256b/s to the IDE 2.0 D1: 256b/s. It went perfectly - CLX reported no problems; RWCRC no problems; RWTEST had 45.6 K reads on 256 b/s - pretty nice.

Next I'll try some 512b/s.

I am still running the original firmware that came in the system.

So far this thing appears very solid - haven't seen an error in 2 weeks of playing.

Ok,

here is some software I have collected so far for the KMK IDE plus interface. The zip archive contains the KMKDiag, the LBA0 from friday (LBA0603.COM, rename to LBA0 if you use this) and the latest LBA0 from today (LBA0606.COM, again rename to LBA0 if you use this), some useful pics, a PDF manual for the older KMK/JZ interface (lots of information is still relevant for the new IDE plus version), a Wave-player for harddisks (named D2D), a video-player for harddisks (named AVP which is short for Alien vs. Predator, errm, Atari Video Player), the KMK_Util disk for MyDOS and SpartaDOS, the latest SDX 4.44 for IDE plus and maybe some other stuff... IDEPLUS.ZIP

Allthough I am now owner of two IDE plus devices, I have not yet used any of them (simply because I have lots of USB sticks and SD cards, but no CF-cards and no 2,5" HDD drives), so use the software with caution ! It should be quite easy to find some WAVE sounds for the WAV-player (I guess they have to be 8Bit though I am not sure, maybe the player also accepts 16Bit Waves), but finding videos for the video-player is not that easy - so you have to rip/download them from Mr. Atari`s page (yes, this player plays videos originally created for the MyIDE on the KMK-IDE and hopefully also on the newer IDE plus). Attached one sample video (or video+audio to be more precise), you have to copy the files with the AVP.COM (and a DOS if you don`t use built-in SDX) onto a harddisk partition first, of course... ATA_MOV_Files.ZIP

If you decide to use Sparta format with the IDE plus, then try out all the Sparta-DOS (or Bewe-DOs, or RealDOS) tools that are out there, as a gamedos I would suggest Micro-Sparta-DOS by Bewe (latest version 3.3 ?). If you decide to use MyDOS (or Top-DOS Prof.) format then try out all the MyDOS and DOS 2.x tools that are out there, as a gamedos I would suggest MyPicoDOS (latest version 4.05 ?)...

I hope this is usefull somehow... -Andreas Koch.

ideplus.zip

ata_mov_files.zip

• Like 1

Whichever method you use, make sure youve got plenty of current-reserve capability in the PSU supplying the +5v, whether that be the 800XL's PSU, or otherwise.

Ken,

Out of interest what are the MINIMUM amps you would recomend on the PSU for

1) CF Card

2) 2.5 Laptop Drive

With an unmodified 800XL, you will get nothing..

The 8-pin header supplies power, and also the control signals for SDX and the on-board cart slot on the interface..

There are 3 ways of powering the IDE Plus 2.0 on an 800XL:

1) External 5v PSU hooked to the 2-pin connector on the IDE Plus 2.0..

2) Hook up the 8-pin ribbon (as shown earlier in the thread)

3) INSIDE the 800xl, hookup wires to put +5v on pins 47 and 48 of the PBI bus (the 600XL has this already)..

Ok well I've never done any soldering so it looks like option 1 for me I'll look for a PSU, thanks for your help

I'm not sure what you mean by 'current-reserve capability' what does this mean in terms of the PSU I buy please?

Yes, there was something yet. What about now?

Not so good:

post-21964-0-42831800-1307381590_thumb.jpg

My setup doesn't like something in these newer updates (since Friday). Am struggling to recover from this one...

EDIT: Same story. Waited a couple of minutes, then managed to reboot. Flashed with Friday's update, and no problems now.

I recall now, that when I was at the latest Grzybsoniada, a computer behaved similarly. I mean the lockups during SDX initialization, and colour strips on the border (and general stability problems). The direct reason turned up to be a damaged GTIA. And the GTIA got fried, because there was a short circuit somewhere on the motherboard.

This may explain why it improves after a couple of minutes: it needs some time to cool down.

I am not saying that's the same case (especially that it seems you got fixed it later), but it may be a suggestion, where to look for, when the problem appears again.