IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - preorder starts today

drac030

Jon, you got me worried now, just waiting for my 2.5 HDD. I guess we'll need to start posting details of which drives seem to work fine and which don't.

If CF doesn't need additional power then that would be a real bonus and I can use the adaptor with an 800XL without running the power cable.

Can someone post a picture of their CF card adapter setup? I'm having no luck with 2.5" HDDs... the computer just keeps locking up randomly.

Excuse the poor quality shot. This is an adapter I bought to replace my A1200 internal drive. I can take a better shot later if needed.

post-14167-0-52629700-1307026467_thumb.jpg

Thanks! :)

All the adapters I have are female IDE... I've gone through SIX 2.5" IDE drives on the 600XL - they all cause lock-ups.

Time to bring a couple of 800XLs into play. I had a feeling this wouldn't be easy.

Jon, you got me worried now, just waiting for my 2.5 HDD. I guess we'll need to start posting details of which drives seem to work fine and which don't.

If CF doesn't need additional power then that would be a real bonus and I can use the adaptor with an 800XL without running the power cable.

Heh - I got me worried too. IDE devices have in one sense or another been the absolute bane of my life for the past ten months or so... :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Can someone post a picture of their CF card adapter setup? I'm having no luck with 2.5" HDDs... the computer just keeps locking up randomly.

Excuse the poor quality shot. This is an adapter I bought to replace my A1200 internal drive. I can take a better shot later if needed.

post-14167-0-52629700-1307026467_thumb.jpg

Thanks! :)

All the adapters I have are female IDE... I've gone through SIX 2.5" IDE drives on the 600XL - they all cause lock-ups.

Time to bring a couple of 800XLs into play. I had a feeling this wouldn't be easy.

Heh - I got me worried too. IDE devices have in one sense or another been the absolute bane of my life for the past ten months or so... :)

These look pretty similar to what I'm using.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1905216463831?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=190521646383&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

These look pretty similar to what I'm using.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1905216463831?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=190521646383&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Yes! I found one in the spares drawer... good old spares drawer.

So I set it up with a 512MB Sandisk CF card. Partitioned no problem, then started to copy files to it... computer locked up after fifty or so files.

Jon, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions..

First, let's remember that this thing has alpha firmware on it. It's worked with every drive Ive tried it with (I dont use flash devices) but I can't say whether it would lock up or not during a 50-file batch copy.

Second, I assume you are using stock machines for testing, right?

Third, if you are using XLs, have you hooked up a GOOD alternative power and GROUND that is common to the machine, along with the extra cart signals on the 8-pin header? If not, it could be an issue with decoupling/voltage drop during access, or it could be an issue with the onboard SDX, rather than the IDE side of the device.

As for the "alpha firmware", I am pretty sure that software-wise the device can't be blamed here. I am using it for months already, copied a lot of files, also have used the device to develop the firmware itself (it is written on Atari, using MAE). I encountered no problems whatsoever.

Second, the firmware is of course in alpha stage, but the IDE code itself comes from KMK/JŻ IDE or IDEa (with due changes, of course), and this one has been well tested with a pile of different disks. The only problem was that WD Caviars didn't want to cooperate and this was a mystery to me for a long time (Caviars also didn't cooperate well with my Falcon, as it turned over when the issue was found out and fixed, for the same reason).

The nature of an IDE device is so that an "uncompatible" disk would simply not initialize. And not that it would initialize and have problems later. Despite that, the only place where it could lockup are the loops waiting for DRQ and such. Each of these has a 5 sec. timeout.

I suspect a hardware issue here. I saw one computer so far which experienced very bad crashes while copying files, but this machine had a hardware problem on its own. Once it was fixed, the problems with IDE are gone too.

Anyway, I'll leave explanations on hardware problems to the hardware division :)

Jon, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions..

First, let's remember that this thing has alpha firmware on it. It's worked with every drive Ive tried it with (I dont use flash devices) but I can't say whether it would lock up or not during a 50-file batch copy.

Second, I assume you are using stock machines for testing, right?

Third, if you are using XLs, have you hooked up a GOOD alternative power and GROUND that is common to the machine, along with the extra cart signals on the 8-pin header? If not, it could be an issue with decoupling/voltage drop during access, or it could be an issue with the onboard SDX, rather than the IDE side of the device.

These are very reasonable points, Ken. The 600XL has a 64K upgrade and a VBXE in it... all I'll say about that is that it works fine with my IDEa interface, using a home-made ribbon cable.

I'm not using the on-board SDX.

I'm gonna warm up the soldering iron and equip a stock 800XL for testing. One point about the 600XL is that it has a very slow power down/up cycle: it seems to take ages for the RAM to clear, so I don't have 100 per cent confidence in the machine. I'll report back findings with the stock 800XL later.

Hi,

The most CF (compact flash) cards with less then 4 GByte doesn´t support LBA.

This is news to me. I have a fairly diverse collection of CF cards from 64MB to 1GB and they all support LBA.

Ok, I will correct me: The IDE 2.0 interface told me, that most of my compact flash cards are not compatible with LBA (get the information "- LBA not supported" in KMKDIAG).

I try all of these compact flash cards in a intel chipset based pentium 4 notebook with the same CF-to-44pin-IDE adapter, all cards are working fine and the notebook´s BIOS told me "LBA mode".

I have tried the IDE 2.0 on a stock 800 XL and a stock 130 XE machine, both working fine.

Any ideas?

Regards, Juergen

Sounds like KMKDIAG is issuing the Identify Device command and getting incorrect values back. Perhaps these CF cards wouldn't work stably with the interface anyway.

OK: just rigged up a stock Rev A 800XL with power on the PBI and the C: partition filled up nicely with no errors using a 512MB Sandisk CF card. The on-board SDX also works fine. Just the RTC to test next. This machine actually feels more stable. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Sounds like KMKDIAG is issuing the Identify Device command and getting incorrect values back. Perhaps these CF cards wouldn't work stably with the interface anyway.

OK: just rigged up a stock Rev A 800XL with power on the PBI and the C: partition filled up nicely with no errors using a 512MB Sandisk CF card. The on-board SDX also works fine. Just the RTC to test next. This machine actually feels more stable. :)

I did a bit of stress testing last night. 256Mb card with 3 partitions, 512 bps. I created a TAR image of a 16Mb atr from my SIO2USB and then extracted the tar file to a different partition. Then I created a tar image of that partition back to the original partition. No errors. I do find the lack of SIO noise slightly disconcerting though :)

Edited by spookt

I did a bit of stress testing last night. 256Mb card with 3 partitions, 512 bps. I created a TAR image of a 16Mb atr from my SIO2USB and then extracted the tar file to a different partition. Then I created a tar image of that partition back to the original partition. No errors. I do find the lack of SIO noise slightly disconcerting though :)

Excellent. That's sounds like a really stable set-up!

My 800XL with the Lotharek 1MB upgrade has died... (I may actually have two usable machines out of half a dozen here!), so I'm gonna concentrate on the 800XL which is working.

Ok, I will correct me: The IDE 2.0 interface told me, that most of my compact flash cards are not compatible with LBA (get the information "- LBA not supported" in KMKDIAG).

I try all of these compact flash cards in a intel chipset based pentium 4 notebook with the same CF-to-44pin-IDE adapter, all cards are working fine and the notebook´s BIOS told me "LBA mode".

Could you send me the raw identify block of such a card? I mean the 512 bytes of data the IDE device sends back in response to IDENTIFY DEVICE command.

If you can't do it, I may prepare a program for you, which would dump this to a file.

Help please!

I've attached a 40GB drive, to my 130XE, 1050 and APE, before I go any further:

Q1 Sparta vs MyDOS which is best to use on this device (and why) :?:

Q2 Please can someone advise on the recommended partitioning options using the FDISK2 program (any options I should consider) :?:

(a screenshot of a completed FDISK screen would be ideal)

Hi,

Could you send me the raw identify block of such a card? I mean the 512 bytes of data the IDE device sends back in response to IDENTIFY DEVICE command.

If you can't do it, I may prepare a program for you, which would dump this to a file.

Hmm, I´m able to program in 6502, Z80 and 68k - but I´m scaring about x86 :x

So please give me any tool to do that, then I will test all my different CF cards.

Regards, Juergen

Important, although, in principle, obvious message: on the XL computers, OPTION key should be keeping during start-up if SDX is enabled. Otherwise hardware conflict ocured between BASIC and SDX. This follows from unavailability of RD5 signal on PBI. MMU simply not know and no way to know, that should disconnect BASIC ROM.

For those who need it, I will do a tutorial on how to hook up the additional 8-conductor ribbon to supply the additional signals, including power, from the XL.

That would be good... Question, if you do NOT hook them up what functionality do you lose?

Have you tried it with an actual 2.5 drive? I'm contemplating doing so, but wonder how safe it is to run it from the a8 PSU over PBI... I would rather do that than have a separate power brick for it... I think the biggest PSU I have is 1.5a... I may be able to get hold of a 3.5a (would that be better)...

Edited by orpheuswaking

Well,

the forum does not allow me to attach an ARC file, do not know why. So I am attaching a zip file. It contains two files:

1) LBA0.COM

This is the BIOS update. When executed, it will (attempt to) reflash the interface's BIOS. Before that better make sure the device is stable with the machine you're using it with (no obvious problems such as lockups etc.)

There are no terrible news here except for the "XL conflict" fix discussed above. The BIOS simply switches off the internal BASIC when it detects that SDX ROM is present in the memory.

2) IDEPTIME.SYS

An updated version of the SpartaDOS X clock driver (thanks trub!). You may use the SDX Imager to add this to the ROM image, or load it from the disk. In the latter case, when the driver is say on the disk A: subdirectory SYS, you should add the following line to the CONFIG.SYS file:

DEVICE A:>SYS>IDEPTIME

If you have added this to the cartridge, no drive or path specifier is necessary. For these people who didn't do own CONFIG.SYS file yet, an example file (the default CONFIG.SYS) is available on CAR:, do TYPE CAR:CONFIG.SYS to view it. The instructions can be read in the manual, chapter 8.

If the IDEPTIME line is added, the lines DEVICE RTIME8 and DEVICE JIFFY should be removed. Especially that last one may prevent IDEPTIME.SYS from loading (there may be only one clock driver loaded at a time, quite logically).

The driver is for SpartaDOS X ONLY! Other systems may access the clock via "Z:" device (SpartaDOS 3.2-compatible).

The driver file is not tested with the production interfaces (which neither me nor trub do have), so if anything doesn't work please report immediately. Thanks!

ideplus.zip

Edited by drac030
  • Like 3