IGNORED

New game released: DOWNFALL!

CyranoJ

I'm happy to say that the high score for Downfall is now MY score of about eight-thousand... which I'm sure my son will beat the next time that he plays!

Mystery solved - and to prevent high score humiliation - remove the MemoryTrack :)

• Like 1

Didn't get much chance to play myself (had a quick go :) ) but did get to observe and listen (very very catchy tune, turns out its quite good to code to :) )

A very polished and slick production IMHO, especially given the timescales involved. There was certainl a lot of cries of desperation and "oooooOOOOO!!!" when spawny gits (gaz) managed to catch a platform just as their feet disapeared off the bottom of the screen. Lots of old school fun, nice one guys.

Cheers SH3 I was only trying to keep you off the game so you'd do some work! That & you kept kicking my ass everytime you picked it up! It was also nice to see the 2600 version that inspired this one as I'd never heard of it never mind played it! The end up playing it with a button only controller - weird, but effective! I am still happy with my score of 94! Now I've just gotta learn how to use my skunk so I can obsess again at my leisure. Thanks guys for getting this ltl joy out for us to play!

• Like 1

I left this thread for a few hours, and my son asked me to post something about adding memory track support, when I find the whole argument already taken care of. wow!

So you say I have to check and reseat the memory track? I'll have a look at it.

Back from AC. Quick thanks to everyone involved as it was a fun long weekend :)

Downfall was well received (although only when Gaztee stopped hogging it and let some other people play, if you believe his teasing elsewhere that he played it once and hated it (LOL)

Did he really wrote this ?

The only time he let the pad was to eat some french cheese...

Not much more to say here, I'll be writing up a little AC report and posting my pictures to the Reboot site in the coming days. I'll also try my best to beat Atardi's score :D

I told you that you should manage a 2 lines score for Atardi :P

I was really great to see you, and your upcoming game on a big screen, rather than a small LCD. The Superfly pad was great too.

Do you think you will wontinue work on Reactris ? The graphs are nice, and the game promising, even if you didn't clean up all thoses tetris fallen under the table :D

I'm happy to say that the high score for Downfall is now MY score of about eight-thousand... which I'm sure my son will beat the next time that he plays!

Mystery solved - and to prevent high score humiliation - remove the MemoryTrack :)

Or buy your son his own Memory Track ;)

Or buy your son his own Memory Track ;)

...or allow a "enter your initials" line when setting an hi score *hint* ;)

oh, oh... and maybe adding a scoreboard, since you are releasing a 1.1 version anyway, hehe!!!

(I am kidding of course, the current 'just the highscore' line has a nice retro feel)

Back from AC. Quick thanks to everyone involved as it was a fun long weekend :)

Downfall was well received (although only when Gaztee stopped hogging it and let some other people play, if you believe his teasing elsewhere that he played it once and hated it (LOL)

Did he really wrote this ?

The only time he let the pad was to eat some french cheese...

Yes I did say I hated it elsewhere! Stupid me thinking I could bash it somewhere else & nobody would read both sites :D The only reason I played it so much was that someone else ate the lovely Brie when I wasn't looking! That & it was fun! I shall remember not to be a troll in future coz I'm just not clever enough! :P

Do you think you will wontinue work on Reactris ? The graphs are nice, and the game promising, even if you didn't clean up all thoses tetris fallen under the table :D

Are you telling me that I missed something falling under the table? Doesn't sound like me! :D I think Link is gonna finish off the Reactris game. I don't think he even noticed that I left his flat as he was busy beavering away on it! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

A few hints just in case anyone is having trouble with getting very far:

Play through a few times without worrying about fruit or powerups. Just get used to the general feel of each level (when the platforms change from one type to another, that means you advanced a level).

Once you've familiarized yourself with it all, then start going for the fruit. Picking up as much fruit as possible is key to getting a high score. Also, you can only get the powerups (jetpack, balloons, and shoes) after getting 4 fruit.

Try whatever you can to get those powerups, they help make life a lot easier for their duration.

Don't be afraid to make a "leap of faith", as in when there's no visible platform below where you're trying to go. You'll find that these tend to pay off more frequently than one would think. Once you've really gotten a feel for each level, you can generally make a pretty good guess where the platforms will appear.

• Like 2

Good tips, Sauron. It's also worth explaining the scoring system (there's a 'system'?! :) ).

Fruits are worth 100xlevel number. So early on, don't risk killing yourself to get to those fruits - later they can be worth 8x the amount. There are 8 levels of difficulty. Each level has 64 randomly selected platform types from a set of 32. Once you pass the 64th platform of the 8th level, the graphics will continue to rotate through the 8 types, but the platforms will still be from the harder last platform type. The key to getting an Atardi-sized score is being patient, getting past the nasty level sets, and learning how to get comfortable with the 8th set. Suppose that's easier said than done ;)

[edit: clarification of post-8th level]

• Like 1

I'd donate some money for that Rootbeer Tapper ST port ;) Hint Hint.

AX

:-) Won't ever be finished. However.... once I get the graphics swapped out for something else (that isn't from screen grabs from MAME!) we will be releasing the build as far as we took it.

We're all really pleased people are enjoying Downfall. As it says on the site it was written very quickly for the AC11 party. The intention all along was to get fully documented source code for a small game project out into the public to hopefully get more people involved with the Jaguar.

Keep pushing those buttons - miracles can happen :)

Awesome, thank you!

AX

Not too shabby! I do think, though, that it needs a bit more of a graphic punch to it - such as when you die, your character explodes (?) or you see some kind of a "Game over!" message.

Ah, there's quite a few things we could add to make it better & polished, thing is it wasn't really about that, just something to quickly put together in a few hours here & there for an AC release. Something we could all get involved in.

I'm glad you think enough of it that your suggestions are not gameplay-related anyway - testament to the originals that inspired it as much as anything else. Your ideas aren't difficult to implement, for sure. One of the testers actually said the game should allow you to mash buttons & quickly start again without having to wait, he'd probably not agree with your idea of a Game Over message :P

TBH, the 2mb limit is only a matter of a few bytes away, there's nothing much that can be added now without removing samples or packing stuff and we think the samples are half the fun (once you can hear them properly - 1.1 awaits). After the 1.1 that tidies such things up, it'll be done with & we'll be working on the next one and on our bigger project that I'll be sharing more info on soon.

In future we'll probably do more simple, fun, quick stuff like this as it gets us all working together at the same time which really is a good laugh for us all, even though we span at least 5 different time zones. With little quickies like this there's none of that getting bogged down in boring front-end and game management junk - it's that classic hit the button, play the game, one more go kind of pick-up-and-play simplicity we're all really fond of. SFDX was a very simple game, we polished it quite a bit and added lots of features and tbh there's times when you go that far & it stops being fun.

Hopefully a few non-Jaguar AtariAgers feel the same way we do about this type of release & consider putting a Jaguar in rotation with their more loved classic machines, that's the kind of thing that's only going to spur us on to do more :D We know were not pushing any technical boundaries with this kind of release, but we're not about that & have never claimed to be. What it does show is that once you get comfortable with the basics of the Jaguar, you're free to get stuff going really speedily, you can have all the fun of making games with very few things standing in your way of making it happen. Some find it a challenge to force the hardware to do stuff it's not very good at or wasn't meant to do, but for us it's making the Jag do exactly what it was designed to let you do easily that leaves us free to enjoy. Leave the headaches of 'pushing' & project management to those who enjoy that kind of thing, we're having a great time as we are :)

• Like 6

I've just uploaded Downfall 1.1 (ROM/BJL/CDI binaries only) to the website.

Changes:

* Music a bit quieter

* Sampled speech a bit louder

* Spelling mistakes in credits corrected

* Some extra greetings added

* Project Tempest fix in BJL/CDI/ROM versions

The source has *NOT* been re-uploaded, I might do that later.

Please note that the Project Tempest download link still points to the original release version. This is no longer required as the other three versions will now work in PT 0.95

• Like 5