IGNORED

Rebooteroids!

CyranoJ

CJ has been looking at 2-player game modes in order to extend the use people will get out of the cart.

Yes, it's looking like there will be different play modes in this one, for both one and two players.

At the moment we have:

• 1pl - 'Designed' levels (which sh3 is designing) - we're currently discussing expanding the roid-processor to handle additional attributes, which will allow even greater flexibility here.
  • 1pl - 'Random' levels increasing in difficulty (like the original game) - this mode is called 'Skirmish'
  • 2pl - 'Deathmatch' levels using defined rock waves against the clock

Getting Deathmatch to work in random levels should be a simple flag change and off it goes. I'm hoping to add several more two player modes, such as 'survive longest', 'kill other player x times', 'destroy the most rocks' and maybe a few others, depending on if they work out well. I'm also looking into two player co-operative modes for some team up rock blasting action. The second player is currently controlled with Jagpad, but I plan on implementing rotaries for head-to-head spinner action!

Development on this seems to come and go in chunks of serious and frantic activity followed by chunks of apathy. We are actively avoiding working on it during the apathetic times because if you force it, it's not fun, and the output is substandard.

At the moment we're having fun with some smaller projects to break this one up a bit while we ponder on the carts. Now go and order Another World, you won't regret it!

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I already did show interest, therefore why post?

There is logic to that statement, but not enough to make me return to your topic after this post.

Yours sincerely,

boxesofgame

I already instructed you on how to report issues with other members. If you continue to make these types of posts, you will have your posting privileges removed.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

If you thought my last post was a dodgy bump, this one is worse at about 8 months :lol:

This post is just to say that, all being well, hopefully Reboot will have a Jaguar and a copy of the latest version of Rebooteroids on show at the upcoming Play Expo in Manchester next weekend. Living just 8 miles down the road I can't really get away with not attending for yet another year, so I'll be manning my white recased Jaguar and converted Wii arcade stick/rotary and also have a backpack full of other Reboot goodies on Jagware flash carts as well, along with Elansar and Orion's Jaguar Collection and anything else people want to give me to show. The only snag is I've not worked on the levels to any great extent since the last public build, but I do have the whole of next week, so I'm aiming to have at least 20 different levels to play through.

Anyway, if you're at Play next weekend, I'll be next to GroovyBee on TMR's Oldschool Gaming stand in the Re:Play area, so drop by and say hello! Then again, I might have just thrown everything to one side and gone to look as asscreed on the ps4 at UBI's stand instead, so... :lol:

• Like 6

The only snag is I've not worked on the levels to any great extent since the last public build, but I do have the whole of next week, so I'm aiming to have at least 20 different levels to play through.

Good to hear it will get a showing. No insult to your other projects but this is one project I have looked at and said "wow, that looks like it will be a ton of fun". That and Soulstar.

Good to hear it will get a showing. No insult to your other projects but this is one project I have looked at and said "wow, that looks like it will be a ton of fun". That and Soulstar.

That's because it's the one we are most precious about, have put more love, arguments, planning, time and attention towards than anything else we've done together. This has, however, come mostly in spurts of activity, usually when at least two of us have sufficient free time or motivation together. You'd be surprised at how many times we've scrapped it, put it to one side, reworked the format, rethought the structure. I think the time has come to stop side-tracking ourselves with other projects and get this f***er into shape!

We know the game can be good. We secretly hope it can be better than that. We've seen people playing the most rudimentary levels and we've seen their reactions and the way they've come back for more and their feedback has been valuable. Hopefully, if we can get something together before the weekend, we'll have some more to go along with what we already have. I think what's holding it back now is that looming fear of completion, actually crossing that line... anyone who has worked on multiple games/projects will tell you, sometimes finishing can be a real *&^£*&^ - 5o5 has written us an epic piece of music specifically for the game... it's great, varied and exactly the right kind of piece to go with this game - that alone should have been the inspiration we needed to get on with it. But, as anyone who knows us well already knows, there are plenty of real-life things which get in our way these days, but we're still at it and will be for as long as it remains fun.

Soul Star is not our game. It was fixed to some extent where it became more playable. We're confident that, when emulation of the Jaguar & CD is at a certain level, we can put something together that we're happy with.

• Like 6

Soul Star is not our game. It was fixed to some extent where it became more playable. We're confident that, when emulation of the Jaguar & CD is at a certain level, we can put something together that we're happy with.

I have a belief that Soul Star will work 100% reliably if pressed onto CDs, and that it's CD-R that is making it unreliable (Our fixed version, not the dodgy copy floating around). However, I'm not prepared to lay down the cash to find that out ;)

Plus, we need the video streams cleaned up as well.

• Like 1

I have a belief that Soul Star will work 100% reliably if pressed onto CDs, and that it's CD-R that is making it unreliable

You never know. I think I told you before, but for us it turned out the Mega-CD could handle CD-Rs better than our pressed CDs.^^

But like Nognir I hope to play Rebooteroids at Jagfest. It's been a long time in the making, and it feels a bit like Reboot's real AAA-title to come after the smaller ones. :)

• Like 4

It's been a long time in the making, and it feels a bit like Reboot's real AAA-title to come after the smaller ones. :)

Thanks, it's good to know it's still anticipated. Hoping to get my Jaguars set up again soon so I can push ahead with the final pieces of code, we're beyond the realm of VirtualJaguar now hehehe.

• Like 3

Thanks, it's good to know it's still anticipated. Hoping to get my Jaguars set up again soon so I can push ahead with the final pieces of code, we're beyond the realm of VirtualJaguar now hehehe.

That's good to hear. I've been anticipating this one even before I ever saw it, since it was slated to be a full release, and not just a demo or unfinished "just learning the system" project like previous Asteriod clones. And since seeing footage of Rebooteroids, it's already much more than what I had expected out of an Asteroids remake (post Atari anyway) on the Jag. I'm hoping this one comes soon. Maybe even before I get my copy of Another World? 10 months and counting... :?

I think I might regret not getting Elansar for the Jag, I decided to buy the Atari Falcon version instead, but I haven't been able to play it yet becuase I haven't wanted to transfer about 80MB in files (IIRC) over a 1.4MB floppy to my Falcon HD. :P But if you think the Jaguar has a small library, software actually written for the Falcon is far more scarce than the Jaguar or Lynx, so I wanted Elensar for the Falcon for that reason. Plus there's an enhanced true color HD version there for when I upgrade my Falcon (4MB to 14MB and 68040/60).

Please hurry with Rebooteroids! (but don't rush it either, get it they way you want it).

Edited by Gunstar

• 1 month later...