IGNORED

New Duke Nukem Trailer

Ite

So it looks like you have to preorder the game to be able to play the demo? Isn't that the exact opposite of what a demo is supposed to be for?

You had to buy the Borderlands GOTY edition in order to get the demo.

you had to buy borderlands GOTY edition to get early access to the demo.everyone should be able to get the demo free next week i think.BTW,i didnt buy borderlands GOTY edition just to get the demo,i bought it because i wanted to play borderlands.getting the demo early was just a nice bonus.

Joystiq gave it a poor rating.... 2 out of 5 star's, I believe. Their complaint: basically that its a 90's game that doesn't fit into todays gaming world.

I don't know..... 90's gaming or retro gaming doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

Mendon

• Like 3

Joystiq gave it a poor rating.... 2 out of 5 star's, I believe. Their complaint: basically that its a 90's game that doesn't fit into todays gaming world.

I don't know..... 90's gaming or retro gaming doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

Mendon

I think people are expecting something like COD, well F*&^ them. Those arent the people this game is meant for. From what I've played so far, im pretty sure this game is going to be everything Ive expected it to be. Graphics arent pretty, but who the hell cares....it's Duke, Its raw, and it out of bubblegum.

Edited by Skarrj
  • Like 1

ign gave it a 5.5-

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1175639p1.html

however they give anything that even smells like call of duty a 9+ so take it with a grain of salt.

LMAO, IGN has zero credibility with me. If mario or COD isnt in the title it automatically loses two points on the rating. For instance, they gave Super Monkey Ball banana blitz for the wii an 84....really? That game was one of the most horrible pieces of crap I have ever played.

Doesnt matter, Ill be at the launch party monday night regardless....Gettin the BOS edition.

Edited by Skarrj

I think people are expecting something like COD, well F*&^ them. Those arent the people this game is meant for.

Agreed. I'm glad it ISN'T anything like COD or any of those "realistic" world war II, modern warfare shooters. God, the game industry is worse than the movie industry, just wanting to pump out game after game of the same crap with a new number on it. :roll:

• Like 2

IGN also gave High school musical a higher score than Duke...What does that say for inept reviewing? Or how about the wretchid POS Flashpoint Dragin rising? IGN gave it a 78...seriously...a 78. I wanted to cut my wrist after playing that garbage game and I got it for free.

Edited by Skarrj

ign gave it a 5.5-

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1175639p1.html

however they give anything that even smells like call of duty a 9+ so take it with a grain of salt.

LMAO, IGN has zero credibility with me. If mario or COD isnt in the title it automatically loses two points on the rating. For instance, they gave Super Monkey Ball banana blitz for the wii an 84....really? That game was one of the most horrible pieces of crap I have ever played.

Doesnt matter, Ill be at the launch party monday night regardless....Gettin the BOS edition.

i agree. i'm out of touch with reviewers in general. usually when a game gets a 9+ i play it and end up disappointed and chalk the high scores up to hype. very, very few games i've played genuinely deserve high scores. if everybody was honest with themselves, most games deserve a 7,8 at most in reality.

a bulk of the games i enjoy the most receieve miserable scores so i'm taking that as a sign that i'll love dnf.

• Like 1

I think people are expecting something like COD, well F*&^ them. Those arent the people this game is meant for. From what I've played so far, im pretty sure this game is going to be everything Ive expected it to be. Graphics arent pretty, but who the hell cares....it's Duke, Its raw, and it out of bubblegum.

I was expecting something like Duke Nukem 3D. It... isn't. The humor's off the mark (did you really just say "epic", Duke?) and when the gameplay isn't boring, it's off the mark too. Maybe it's because I'm not the same 15 year old that I was when 3D was released, but I still enjoy 3D far more than this recent one. Forever sure fits in quality-wise with the past few releases, though... Time to Kill, Manhattan Project, you know.

Guess it's back to waiting for the Unreal Engine 3 version of DN3D.

• Like 1

I loved DN3D, but sometimes I wonder if it was a case of right place at the right time. I think 3DRealms wanted to recapture that magic, but it just wasn't possible, but they kept trying and that's why the game became the vaporware joke it did. FPS's were still kind of a novelty when DN3D came out and DN3D was a huge step forward. Now in a day of every other popular game being a FPS there was really no way it was ever going to live up to the original.

I haven't played DNF, but from what I have seen its basically become a parody of itself and almost seems disconnected in that way (I guess 15 years can do that). To most people DNF was going to be a let down no matter what. Honestly I did not expect the low reviews it has been getting, but I wasn't expecting 9s and 10s either.

I may still pick it up on steam or something if price drops someday.

I got a chance to play the game already.

It is definitely a parody of itself... but it has a very... lost feeling. When there is no action, it is *very* boring, very easy to get lost, and you're spending more time trying to figure out where to go than fighting enemies.

I don't think I've been so lost in a single room in my life... and my friends agree.

Seems fun, I love the parody of itself... it just feels off.

I think people are expecting something like COD, well F*&^ them.

That's not the impression I'm getting, the impression I get is folks were looking for a old school Duke. The guy would, and does right at the beginning of this very game scoff at the likes of say a HALO game....however if the reviews are to be believe, instead of that, they basically got less Duke and more Halo. Only allowed to carry two weapons? A life bar that refills itself? Hmmmmm For a guy who hates modern games, Duke sure has sold out! LOL Maybe the problem isn't that people/reviewers were expecting a more modern game, but instead were expecting a less modern game.

I think people are expecting something like COD, well F*&^ them.

That's not the impression I'm getting, the impression I get is folks were looking for a old school Duke. The guy would, and does right at the beginning of this very game scoff at the likes of say a HALO game....however if the reviews are to be believe, instead of that, they basically got less Duke and more Halo. Only allowed to carry two weapons? A life bar that refills itself? Hmmmmm For a guy who hates modern games, Duke sure has sold out! LOL Maybe the problem isn't that people/reviewers were expecting a more modern game, but instead were expecting a less modern game.

but then it's a damned if you do situation, it would get blasted for being archaic. i haven't played it yet (its on its way from gamefly) but as of now i'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

I haven't experienced getting lost or anything like that (I plowed through the demo pretty quickly), although I did die a few times (I set it to the hardest skill level). I thought it also was pretty funny.. It's parody of itself, sure, but I think that's part of the charm. We've all been waiting for this thing for a long time, and I think it's great it's making fun of itself. I can say I don't care for the Halo-like changes made to the formula, but I digress. It's Duke, and it feels a lot more like Duke 3D than the spin-offs in the late '90s and early '00s.

but then it's a damned if you do situation, it would get blasted for being archaic.

Hard to say.

Maybe with similar gameplay to the original game, but highly updated graphics, and a killer story line would have invoked a sense of nostalgia.

I know making the game more like a more modern FPS right after making fun of modern FPS is kind of...I dunno, what would you call it? lame?

I'm not dismissing the game by any means. I've seen videos of the shooting parts of this game and think it looks awesome! Unfortunately another thing the bad reviews are saying is they throw in a bunch of other goofy things in between the shooting that break up the fun-ness of the game (goofy puzzles, lame driving sequences etc...)

I'm like you in that I tend to enjoy goofy oddities thrown into games. As long as they are fun, I'm all for it, but at the same time I could see how they would be distracting in a DukeNuke Em game. Still, I'll be playing this game soon and since I bought and played through (yet again) the Live Arcade DukeNuke Em 3D recently, I'll be able to compare the two fairly well. :cool:

but then it's a damned if you do situation, it would get blasted for being archaic.

Hard to say.

Maybe with similar gameplay to the original game, but highly updated graphics, and a killer story line would have invoked a sense of nostalgia.

I know making the game more like a more modern FPS right after making fun of modern FPS is kind of...I dunno, what would you call it? lame?

I'm not dismissing the game by any means. I've seen videos of the shooting parts of this game and think it looks awesome! Unfortunately another thing the bad reviews are saying is they throw in a bunch of other goofy things in between the shooting that break up the fun-ness of the game (goofy puzzles, lame driving sequences etc...)

I'm like you in that I tend to enjoy goofy oddities thrown into games. As long as they are fun, I'm all for it, but at the same time I could see how they would be distracting in a DukeNuke Em game. Still, I'll be playing this game soon and since I bought and played through (yet again) the Live Arcade DukeNuke Em 3D recently, I'll be able to compare the two fairly well. :cool:

Well, the game is pretty f'n awsome so far. Combat is typical oldschool fps and I actually like the two weapon system and regen health, I think it works well. I kinda dig the drivng missions also, as well as all the little mini games..they lead to a nice distraction. Graphics are nowhere close to being as bad as the reviewers claim, with the exception of character models; yea, they do look pretty dated.

Reviewers also seem to be completely leaving out multiplayer. Multiplyer is pretty solid, feels alot like quake arena wich is pretty much what I expected. I think the maps are well made and pretty balanced as long as there are more than a handful of players in the room. I really like that matchmaking is just like the golden age of FPS's. You can pick and chose what rooms you want to join just like quake/unreal. Capture the "flag" is pretty fun as you actually capture the enemies babe. One interesting thing I noticed is if you are running with the babe and get hit with the shrin ray...you get squashed.

Does anyone, reviewers included remember all the mudane stupid puzzles and tedious backtracking just to collect those keycards etc in Duke 3D? I swear I must be playing a different game than everybody else because I really could give this game an 8.5 out of ten.

Edited by Skarrj

Does anyone, reviewers included remember all the mudane stupid puzzles

No, What puzzles were in Duke Nukem 3D?? :?

Finding the key cards wouldn't be considered a puzzle in my book.

I honestly can't think of any puzzles which is odd since I just played through the game (for like the 5th time) when it was released on Live. Do you mean like pulling levers to detonate buildings? Is that the kind of puzzles that are in this new version? If so, no biggie if only because they were so simple.

That Live version of DN3D included multi-player as well! Very cool even I didn't play it too much.

Although once again, seems like yet another mundane modern FPS tack on.

i stopped listening to reviewers at a young age after getting burned by nintendo power.

i'm a grown ass man and i'll play what i like.

Yup.

I'll be getting this game for sure. I'm not expecting Call of Duty just Duke Nukem.

In fact I will be comparing it to the last Duke Nukem. Duke Nukem 3D circa 1997.

:)

Does anyone, reviewers included remember all the mudane stupid puzzles

No, What puzzles were in Duke Nukem 3D?? :?

Finding the key cards wouldn't be considered a puzzle in my book.

I honestly can't think of any puzzles which is odd since I just played through the game (for like the 5th time) when it was released on Live. Do you mean like pulling levers to detonate buildings? Is that the kind of puzzles that are in this new version? If so, no biggie if only because they were so simple.

That Live version of DN3D included multi-player as well! Very cool even I didn't play it too much.

Although once again, seems like yet another mundane modern FPS tack on.

i was talking about all the stupid little switches, some of them had to be set in a certain order, ledges went up and down, walls moved, you had to backtrack 8 times to collect 4 different color keycards. Im not trashin that, Im just saying everyone that critiques the new gae seem to have forgotten some of the more tedius moments from 14 D3D.

IDK, Im certainly having more fun with this one that I ever had with D3D.

I'll be picking up the BOS edition I reserved on the way home today. I can't wait to finally get to play this game.

Aside from my love for Duke, I'm buying this game to support the people that finally brought this game to us. They had to know that this thing was going to get less then great reviews, and that there was a good chance that the sales numbers for this game would be low. Instead of leaving this game in the realm of vaporware they released it anyway. I'm looking for a graphics improvement over DN3D and another Duke game, not much more. We should remember that this game wasn't made this year, it was release this year.

With a little luck this game will be popular enough to warrent a true current generation game in time. There are things about this game I'm already looking forward to, and there are things I have already seen that could be improved. At the very least it isn't another Halo/COD game, and that will add up to a lot in my mind as I play this game.

• Like 1

IDK, Im certainly having more fun with this one that I ever had with D3D.

High praise indeed!

I think when I do snag a copy, I want to get the BOS edition as well. Love the collectors editions. Does anyone already have it, and if so, what is their opinion of the swag that it comes with?