IGNORED

New Duke Nukem Trailer

Ite

Being able to save anywhere should keep that from happening shouldn't it? You take a crap load of damage in D3D, you just reload your last save, plow through again and perfect your approach. Am I right or am I completely forgetting how these old games play?

Well, yes and no. I can name several "classic" first person shooters where there is no "perfecting" your approach. You pop your head around a corner and it's blown off before you can do anything thanks to razor-sharp sniper-like AI (*cough* Blood *cough*). Personally, I get annoyed when I have to resort to save states to complete a FPS, especially when it's due to a game being cheap and unforgiving with poor AI or a lack of health packs.

Well, yes and no. I can name several "classic" first person shooters where there is no "perfecting" your approach. You pop your head around a corner and it's blown off before you can do anything thanks to razor-sharp sniper-like AI (*cough* Blood *cough*).

Hmmm I can't say I've ever played Blood, but yes I guess that would suck if you couldn't possibly finish a game because you didn't have regenerating health.

got the game today from gamefly and put about 3 hours in so far.....

it's boring. i'm in las vegas, why am i crawling through caves and construction sites? so far a few half-life 2 style physics puzzles. zzzzzz....

the controls are stiff, i feel like i'm struggling to hit anything. the hit detection seems off too.

the graphics are hideous. pixellation,jaggies and piss poor textures out the ass. it looks like an early, grade c 360 shooter like turning point.

the load times are atrocious. prepare to wait a minute between each level and at least 30 seconds each time you die. installing the game is no improvement.

there are some fun battles but that's about it. it definitely shows its age but if you like pc-style shooters from circa 2001 it would probably be up your alley.

i love games like two worlds so i'm pretty forgiving of a games flaws, i don't need perfection or call of duty style "shiny things". but i'd have to agree with the reviews that put this in the 5,6 range. i'm not finding it to be very much fun (so far).

it's not old school, it's not new school, it's not a tribute, it's just a stone cold mediocre shooter that just happens to have duke nukem in it.

Edited by xg4bx

I'm so disappointed by everything I'm hearing about this game. :( I desperately wanted it to be good so the possibility of future Duke titles would be inevitable. But with everything I've read I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last one. :( I was going to pick it up on launch but now I'm thinking I'll wait for a price drop.

I'm so disappointed by everything I'm hearing about this game. :( I desperately wanted it to be good so the possibility of future Duke titles would be inevitable. But with everything I've read I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last one. :( I was going to pick it up on launch but now I'm thinking I'll wait for a price drop.

By the sound of things, it should have had a lower price to begin with. I haven't played it yet, I'm still waiting for a demo, and will probably get it for PS3 eventually if I enjoy it and when the price is right. Does anyone know the average length of the game? And can anyone comment on the multiplayer? I've been playing a PC port of Duke Nukem 3D on my original XBOX and still enjoy it without cheats, I'm having trouble getting them to work with a USB keyboard. Anyway, I enjoyed Time to Kill on the Playstation and the third person one on the N64, so most likely I'd enjoy this one too.

Being able to save anywhere should keep that from happening shouldn't it? You take a crap load of damage in D3D, you just reload your last save, plow through again and perfect your approach. Am I right or am I completely forgetting how these old games play?

Well, yes and no. I can name several "classic" first person shooters where there is no "perfecting" your approach. You pop your head around a corner and it's blown off before you can do anything thanks to razor-sharp sniper-like AI (*cough* Blood *cough*). Personally, I get annoyed when I have to resort to save states to complete a FPS, especially when it's due to a game being cheap and unforgiving with poor AI or a lack of health packs.

Wierd you mentioned blood; you might be the only person Ive ever came across that has played it. I have it on my PC and still play it occasionally...awsome game. Im surprised it hasnt been remade or atleast released on XBLA.

Wierd you mentioned blood; you might be the only person Ive ever came across that has played it. I have it on my PC and still play it occasionally...awsome game. Im surprised it hasnt been remade or atleast released on XBLA.

Blood is an amazing game... I would be glad to see a remake similar to Duke Nukem 3d: Reloaded.

i played some more last night and actually started to enjoy myself.

i think the thing that sticks out the most is that theres a very clear deliniation between old and new code. theres areas/levels that are incredibly lacking in polish compared to others. to me it sticks out like a sore thumb. i think its the frankenstein nature of the game that hurt it the most.

and honestly i think alot of sites were just chomping at the bit to troll it. i saw 1up.com gave it a 1/10. seriously?

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a personal favorite of mine from that era. But god damn is it hard (cheap AI, mostly).

There's a modern homebrew total conversion that's being worked on right now.. I forgot what it's called, but I believe it's almost done (if not done already). It's going to be available on the PC and Dreamcast, maybe other platforms. New game, but many of the same textures and sprites are being used on top of a lot of new things.

Yeah, it's a personal favorite of mine from that era. But god damn is it hard (cheap AI, mostly).

There's a modern homebrew total conversion that's being worked on right now.. I forgot what it's called, but I believe it's almost done (if not done already). It's going to be available on the PC and Dreamcast, maybe other platforms. New game, but many of the same textures and sprites are being used on top of a lot of new things.

Dreamcast? link? I will have to get this. Quake on my dreamcast looks great, I would love to see this with updated graphics

Dreamcast? link? I will have to get this. Quake on my dreamcast looks great, I would love to see this with updated graphics

Yeah, it's not a port of blood, but an all new game using the same engine, many of the same sounds and enemies, with new tweaks/additions. I'm at work so I can't find it, but there's a thread in the Sega section over at Jaguar Sector that talks about it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Played it and loved it all the way through, I think most people just need to remember it is not call of duty 30 and is not a game in development for 12 years. It is a game that is Duke style and was updated and restarted over 12 years or had a new engine change before it could be finished. As for the loading time, they were fine. Yes they are slower then some games but still no where near as bad as some consoles or computer games. Some reviewers are just spoiled and only like games if they are call of duty. I would give it a solid 8.5 in my book. That's why I rent I know review sites anymore cannot be trusted completely.

Was at frys today getting an extended battery for my PSP for my upcoming cross country flight and noticed that DOF had its first price drop(at at least), PC version was down to $40, not sure about console. One more $10 price drop and I think I'll be ready to bite. :P

Ooohh, nice.. I will definitely jump on it if it gets the $30 treatment. :)