IGNORED

Space Harrier Atari XLXE - Pre-Final Release

Kjmann

The Non-linear Mixing option in Altirra emulates the compression effect in POKEY when volume levels rise too high. An experiment you can try is to start Atari BASIC, start a tone on channel 3 at volume 15, and then start channels 0-2 in volume-only mode at volume 15. The tone in channel 3 will become muted when channels 0-2 activate. Besides being an annoyance, this can be exploited for some non-linear effects.

For this reason, it's usually recommended that you limit both single channels and the sum of all channels below maximum volume. You should also always test complex sound effects on a real Atari as emulators still aren't that good at emulating the effects of the analog path.

• 1 month later...

Sega might have something to say about selling unlicensed conversions of their copyrighted games so be careful.

Which is why they should release it in plain executable form, free, first... Then once every atari owner in the world already has a copy of it, SEGA can go "suck a nut" because there won't be any "profit potential" being gained...

Then whoever wants a nice custom box, manual, cart, etc. etc. etc.. can pay for THOSE things, once the game executable is undeniably in the public domain...

At which point someone will get a court order, illegal is illegal end of story. Best to ask them now ;)

PS why was the youtube video removed?

Maybe a name change is in order then.

It's no big deal, IIRC you don't ever see the name inside the game other than the title screen.

Does anyone know what the percentage is that a game must differ from another to avoid issues?

I seem to remember it was 15 or 20%

I know the percentage based on the code MUST be high but I believe graphics can be quoted in cases?

I was just pointing out even if the entire Atari A8 community had downloaded it still doesn't become public domain or copyright exempt. Sega are still around today.

If Elite had licensed it for A8 conversion too then technically only Elite would have to give you their blessing.

Possibly, but such an agreement would likely have some time constraints on it.

I just reckon go the name change - Bomb Jake doesn't seem to have attracted any negative attention, and a Harrier clone under different name selling units in the dozens probably wouldn't either.

Possibly, but such an agreement would likely have some time constraints on it.

I just reckon go the name change - Bomb Jake doesn't seem to have attracted any negative attention, and a Harrier clone under different name selling units in the dozens probably wouldn't either.

Related to this, wasn't there talk / screens of a new (at the time) arcade and console update of Space Harrier a year or so ago.

Wonder what happened to that, looked very eye candy at the time :)

Ok some questions answered.....

1. a name change is not nessesary since the game will be offered for free on the net as a BIN file and we will be selling the cart for just the cost of materials.

2 the game is handled in the same was that the Sega Saturn/32X version worked. after your continues are used up you can start from the level following the last Bonus Round that you completed.

3. it's getting close. chris is just putting some spit and polish on it. =)

4. Look for the new Video in the next post......

Edited by kjmann

Graphically , everything is adapted nicely.

Huge and fluent zooming objects. Depth-Quantisation is correct.

And the background gets mighty by playing with the big colour palette, enhancing the depth of view and producing additional eye-candy.

From the playable demos we know, it fits aswell.

Here's a newer video showing the options Selections on the Title screen and the ability to continue from after the Bonus Round. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRoqrSTaimM

You've got a winner, there (and I am saying this comparing it to MAME, instead of "cheapo-built" C64 or other versions). Pretty impressive, indeed.

The music needs more "ooomph", more low-frequency effects (it sounds a bit thin), but I will try in my larger home-theater setup and see how it sounds there.

F.